Thankful Thursday's — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thankful Thursday's

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
What are you thankful for?
I'm thankful for a warm home, acsess to books and education
Thankful for food in my cupboards
Thankful for medication to help the pain of my condition.
Comment what you are thankful for below ?

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Tammyjane33, please could you kindly let me know what medication you are taking for pain? I am in severe pain and can't sleep. I've tried lots of different medications but they either don't work or cause allergic reactions. I'm at my wit's end... Thanks. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm thankful for Yorkshire tea, always :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I was actually talking about this yesterday - we were discussing things we take for granted.

I’m thankful for the fact that people are able to moan about things like FaceBook being down. Life must be pretty good on the whole if something that insignificant causes problems. Yes we might not be able to tweet a picture of our lunch but at least we have food in our belly, a warm house, are not being sent off to fight a war, etc. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm thankful for my friends, family and pets, Colin the caterpillar and having a job.

But most of all I'm thankful for my health.  My illness is in remission and so I never take it for granted how lucky I am to be able to do the everyday things that once felt like they were unattainable  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Well, so it’s Wednesday but ...

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I am thankful for being alive and bringing life to my son and for family and friends that support us
  • Cher_Alumni
    What a joyous thread <3 and woop woop @earthchild23 well done!!

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Tammyjane33
    Oxonlady said:
    Hi @Tammyjane33, please could you kindly let me know what medication you are taking for pain? I am in severe pain and can't sleep. I've tried lots of different medications but they either don't work or cause allergic reactions. I'm at my wit's end... Thanks. 
    @Oxonlady I. I so sorry to hear that, it understand how horrible it can make you feel both physically and mentally. 
    I have a rare disease which has developed into chronic pain, as my body works differently to others I was on high doses which made me very unwell, have you spoken to a GP about your pain? I'm on lots mainly Amitriptyline 
    Gabapentin
    Steriods for inflammation and an Immunosuppressants
    As I said above this is for a rare disease so I don't know how they'd work for other people hope this helps. I would definitely contact my doctor 
    ❤️
  • Tammyjane33
  • Tammyjane33
    @earthchild23 that's great news! well done. 
  • Tammyjane33
    @janer1967 aww that's a lovely answer. You are both very blessed to have one another, having a supportive network around you is brilliant. 
  • 66Mustang
    Congratulations on winning £5. I would love to do the Scope lottery but can’t commit to £1 a week at the moment as thats 50 quid a year. I will remember Scope once I get into employment though :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @earthchild23 snap I have also won £5 on the lottery today maybe it's a sign to have a go on big lottery 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi@tammyjane33, GPs aren't very interested! I've tried a wide variety of different pain killers over the years, including some of the ones you mention but nothing helps much so from that point of view my body must respond differently from other people's! I've been on steroids for over 15 years and I have put on over 8 stones. I have reacted badly to steroids in terms of weight gain but I can't come off them now or I would die. I'm barely mobile due to spinal and other problems so I can't seem to be able to lose weight.
    During my better times I get on with various activities to distract me from my conditions. So sorry to everyone on this Forum, I'm not normally moaning, just when the pain gets unbearable... 

I'm grateful I've got my lovely cat, Lancelot, to keep me company! 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @janer1967 oooh well done!! we are on a bit of a roll on the community today!

@Oxonlady No need to apologise.  We understand that to have chronic pain must be difficult.  I really feel for you and wish I could wave a magic wand.  

I know you mentioned before that gentle massage might help you.  I'm wondering out loud, but is it worth asking your GP about referral to a physiotherapy service, where they could visit you in your home to do this?  Maybe that could be something to explore.

Bless little Lancelot!! My cats say hello to him :)

• 66Mustang
    @earthchild23 that is an awesome idea to split it between some charities if you get a big win :smiley:
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm thankful that I am gaining the wisdom to know when I am wrong, its only taken me 61 years.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tammyjane33
    I'm 1 day ahead everyone sorry ?

Brightness