Video Games - Page 11 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Video Games

Comments

• Steveoldone
    Steveoldone Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I've been into games since my mum bought me an Atari 2600 VCS for Christmas in 1978.  
    Currently I have a PS4 (rarely used), a Switch and my pride and joy is my ZX Spectrum Next. 

I have been going off current gen consoles for some time and going back to my roots as it were.
    These days I get more enjoyment from programming my own simple Spectrum games than playing AAA games on my PS4 which I am becoming more and more disinterested in as companies add despicable things like lootboxes, gambling and microtransactions to the games you've paid £40+ for.  (also I dislike the term microtransactions when some of them are £30-£50-£80.  how is that micro??!)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for joining the thread @Steveoldone, glad to have another gamer onboard :) 

What games do you play on your ZX Spectrum? 

I think you are correct about the micro transactions, they are so prominent these days and can be quite costly. There are some companies who rely on them more than others but I largely don't like how embedded they are in modern day gaming, especially when you have to pay to win.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Finally after nearly 100hrs of playing I am coming to the end Of Kingdom of Amaalur. Reached the top level I can, done close to 200 side quests saved 3 main quests to do and done some seemingly endless lesser quests, along with completing both DLC's  
    Now I can look forward to the release of. Assassins creed Valhalla on November 10th.

@Steveoldone It's good to hear from someone who has been a gamer for as long as I have. I have lost track of the consoles I have had. Been through all the playstaions except PS3. I started with a Philips long ago but can't remember what it was. Along with several hand held consoles.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Do games really do that these days - charge you £50 for the game then include “micro”transactions (“micro” being a huge understatement I agree)?

I haven’t played a game from the last 5 years or so - my gaming career stops around about Call of Duty Black Ops 2 if that makes sense to anyone (just played old games and MMORPGs since then) - but back then it was fine. I could well believe it has gotten worse in 5 years though. 

I think it’s really cheeky that games are “pay to win” when you already paid £50 for the game. I can understand if the game was free, like a lot of games on the iPad, as they need to make money, but to double charge you gets a thumbs down from me. A bit like Sky TV charging you for the channels and also having adverts - do one or the other.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Yeah, micro transactions can be almost as costly as the game @66Mustang, which doesn't make them very micro. 

I don't mind them, as long as they aren't required to progress or do well at the game.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Still not managed to get hold of a PS5 pre-order, very disappointing :( 

• 66Mustang
    :( that’s a shame
  • Ross_Alumni
    I know @66Mustang !

Oh well, there are never many games to play at launch anyway, I shall wait :) 

• Dragonslayer
    Just ordered my copy of assassins creed valhalla, and it will play on the PS5 with all the benefits the new console will bring. I'm looking forward to playing it.
    I'm holding back a bit on buying a PS5. think I will let the dust settle a while. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Sounds great @Dragonslayer, do you have a history of playing those games? 

I'm keen to get my hands on the PS5 sooner rather than later, my brother is pestering me to have someone to play online with :D 

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
    I have played all the assassins creed games over the years and love them all.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Which is your favourite and why @Dragonslayer :) 

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
     I have thought about which is my favourite one on many occasions and I can honestly say I don't have one. I just love them all. Origins is good and has many DLC's. Black flag is a favourite among many other players like me. I am hoping when my latest. Valhalla arrives tomorrow that will be as good and also it as the PS5 availability already on it. so I will be able to get all what that has to offer. That is when I get a PS5. 
  • 66Mustang
    I never got the hang of Assassin’s Creed but I look forward to watching the cinematic every time a new one comes out. They are always really good and almost like movies.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I really like AC, it's so immersive and historically & geographically accurate as well, I always learn things from it...and have explored every inch of famous cities and landmarks that I'll probably never be able to visit in real life!  The poor graphics (compared to CoD for example) and bugs in the earlier games didn't even matter as the gameplay was so good imo.  That has been sorted with the new format games like Origins and Odyssey though.  Don't think I could pick a favourite tbh.

However, I hate the ship sailing parts, wasn't a fan of Black Flag at all (but still completed it) yet everyone else seemed to be so they've been including shipping parts in every game since...and being Viking, I guess Valhalla will be the same!  :D

One thing that has confused me slightly is that there only seems to be one game for both Xbox One and the new Xbox Series X?  Whereas there are separate games from the PS4 and PS5?  Is that right?
  • Ross_Alumni
    That's an interesting point about exploring the environments @OverlyAnxious, that's one of my favourite things about any open world game, it almost feels like you're there exploring new places yourself. Do you like that aspect of the game @Dragonslayer?

I think there shold be one game for each new console. how it normally works is you pre-order the game on the PS4 and then you get the PS5 upgrade for free. So I imagine that's how it's working with Assassins Creed as well.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I've been playing Xbox Series S all night, Tetris Effect: Connected, great game and I'm the Master of Tetris in general having played almost every version ever.

I just wish the Series S had a disc drive so I could reinstall some of my games because they don't work.

At least I'm top of this month's leader board on 510 points as of an hour ago.

• Emily54636072
    Emily54636072 Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    Does anyone want to to make other group where we could have an online meeting just like a catch up on how we all are a just a general catch up 
  • 66Mustang
  • t0nkys
    t0nkys Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    I’ve been doing a mix of gaming vids and Pokémon opening vids if anyone’s interested, my YouTube is www.youtube.com/user/t0nkys

I’m hoping to get a ps5 at Christmas but idk if my parents will be able to at this rate.

Brightness