Disgusting DWP Attitude and Policy again exposed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disgusting DWP Attitude and Policy again exposed

Options
greenman
greenman Community member Posts: 15 Listener

I don’t understand why ill and disabled people are not supported fairly in this country.  I’ve read so many negative experiences of the DWP.  My own experience with them is quite horrendously and literally goes beyond belief.  The DWP has an attitude towards claimants that is extremely distasteful.  Are we just so small a community that we will always be denied fairness and change, why is this allowed to happen?

I recent story you may have read reiterates the disgraceful and disgusting attitude practiced by the DWP.  Have these people no shame nor conscious?  Please take time to read about the disgraceful treatment received by dear Kayleigh as reported in Kentonline.  I sincerely hope her representative is massively successful in suing for damages for the suffering caused to her at the hands of DWP staff. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I haven't read the story you mention but being on here does so often highlight the way DWP sometimes causes stress and heartache to many 

But you will always read the bad on forums as those with success stories dont make comments as they have no reason to so while I dont disagree with you we dont always see the balanced view 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi @greenman

I think this is the article you are referring to on Kent online.  For those unaware, Kayleigh was disallowed PIP and appealed 4 times without success.  This led to her attempting to take her own life before she was finally awarded it.  

This is a subject that provokes heated discussion, for good reason, and it's essential we question why these negative experiences still persist as you rightly are. 

Please bear in mind our online community guidelines when discussing this though and try to keep discussion friendly and respectful where/if people have differing opinions.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • greenman
    greenman Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I should have added that the story is quite upsetting and if you find you are sensitive and easily upset it might be best not to read it. 
    It upsets me.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @greenman - Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It saddens me when people who ought to be awarded PIP are unsuccessful. It's difficult enough for those of us that have physical problems, but perhaps more difficult for those with mental health issues, to complete the initial claim form appropriately. Not understanding how to complete this form is something repeatedly seen on this forum, but thankfully members can advise, & hopefully help some.
    As Jane mentions, we don't hear from those who claim PIP successfully, as they don't have any need to post a question on here, & the majority of claims are indeed successful. If only more people knew about Scope, or got some benefit advice on other health-related forums, or from Citizens Advice, etc.....
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think you have to look at both sides of this coin, the majority of DWP staff are poorly trained, over worked and not well paid. And as already mentioned we hear far more about the bad outcomes than the good ones, considering they deal with millions of claimants a high % are fairly dealt with and get successful outcomes I don' t know the details that @greenman refers to but in general there are ways to deal with a decision that doesn't go a claimants way, MR and tribunals have a high success rate.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.