Energy cost and usage — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Energy cost and usage

Emma_vogelmann_scope
Emma_vogelmann_scope Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hello everyone! I am a Policy Advisor at Scope and I am doing some research on energy. It would be so helpful if anyone could tell me about their Energy cost and usage - has it gone up in recent months? Are you concerned about it increasing in the winter months? 

Please feel free to post your thoughts and concerns here or Inbox me if you'd prefer. Thanks!

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Emma_vogelmann_scope and welcome to the community :) 

Thanks for posting this opportunity. For me personally energy bills have gone up in the last month or two as we use more central heating and lighting. But thankfully we are with one of the cheapest providers, Bulb, so our prices aren't extortionate 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I dont really notice than change in usage as I pay monthly direct debit the same amount each month so it spreads the cost over the year, I prefer this so I can budget for the amount I pay rather than get a big bill for the winter months
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    I changed to octopus energy almost 2 years ago and will never look back. Of course energy bills will have started to increase now because of the colder weather and darker nights. Although with a new energy saving boiler and cheap prices with octopus energy my bills remain low. I also pay by monthly DD which makes the bills easier to swollow.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I love where I live a few houses away from my son & daughter-in-law, however it's a Park home & we use LPG & have to pay the Park owner for the electricity we use with whom he has a contract. So we can't search for better energy suppliers unfortunately, as far as electricity goes. I did get a deal for LPG for all of of our Park homes a couple of years ago, which has now ended, altho it's still slightly cheaper than other nationwide suppliers, & definitely cheaper than our local supplier. The one good thing about LPG is that you pay for it beforehand. I'm not too concerned about this as the recent milder winters have meant it lasts quite a while. Electricity, however is another matter.
  • Emma_vogelmann_scope
    @chiarieds has your electricity gone up recently? 

@Ross_Scope
    would you say your increase has been normal for this time of year or has the pandemic impacted it?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi - No, my electricity hasn't gone up as the Park owner got a 3 year contract with the energy supplier he uses, & we're probably over half way through that. The LPG which we buy went up on September 1st.
  • Emma_vogelmann_scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We have mains electric and lpg gas, we swapped electricity suppliers a couple of months ago we were with sse and from memory it was 21p a day  plus 21p per kwh, eon are charging 14.8p and 14.9p big difference, since it started we have had the warm home discount but don't qualify now (long story)

Our LPG was £59.81 for 47kg cylinder it went up in September to £62.92 and has gone back down to £59.81, we can use a cylinder every 2 weeks in winter but in summer they last 4 months
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    woodbine said:

Our LPG was £59.81 for 47kg cylinder it went up in September to £62.92 and has gone back down to £59.81, we can use a cylinder every 2 weeks in winter but in summer they last 4 months
    Yikes, that's extremely expensive! My gas during the summer is between £8 - £10.50 per month. During the winter it's between £40 - £50 and i have my heating on about 16 hours a day.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Emma_vogelmann_scope
    woodbine said:

Yikes, that's extremely expensive! My gas during the summer is between £8 - £10.50 per month. During the winter it's between £40 - £50 and i have my heating on about 16 hours a day.

Has this changed at all due to the pandemic?
  • poppy123456
    woodbine said:

Has this changed at all due to the pandemic?

Nope not at all.  I don't work anyway because of my health condition so the pandemic would make no difference to me or my energy bills.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds has your electricity gone up recently? 

@Ross_Scope
    would you say your increase has been normal for this time of year or has the pandemic impacted it?
    The pandemic has undoubtedly impacted it due to working from home and going out much less in general. Therefore we've had heating on more, as well as the lighting and devices like laptops and such.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I live alone and often go for a fixed price duel fuel tariff, I am lucky that I dont need any medical equipment that relies on electricity, that said I have recently gone onto a new fixed tariff and my costs have doubled, as a person on benifits, this will mean that I will have to make cuts somewhere and I will certainly be less inclined to have the heating on unless it is totally necessary
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    This thread is almost a year old now. Update atm our LPG is £45 a cylinder the cheapest it's been in 10 years, although expecting it to go up this month
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.