Just... why? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just... why?

Ami2301
Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
I thought this might be a bit of fun and lighthearted to question the common sense behind  some things, like...

Pringles - why are the tubes not big enough to fit your entire hand in  :D
Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Why do they bother putting air bubbles in aeros?

And why are some jars and containers shaped in such a way that it’s impossible to scoop out the contents with a knife or spoon?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ami2301
    leeCal said:
    Why do they bother putting air bubbles in aeros?

And why are some jars and containers shaped in such a way that it’s impossible to scoop out the contents with a knife or spoon?
    I have to agree with both ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    @unless of course you're a child... or my daughter (adult) who has tiny hands lol.

While we're on this subject... polo's come to mind. Why is there a hold and why do we have to pay for a mint that's only half made? :D More to the point, why don't they sell the hole haha...
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    The bubbles in Aero do have a purpose.  They make the chocolate less dense so it melts in your mouth more quickly, giving a larger surface area for more taste impact.  Plus, as with the Polo's, they can charge you the full price of chocolate for a percentage of cheap Nitrogen...  :D

Do they not sell Polo holes any more?  They were everywhere in the 2000s!  Came in a big plastic Polo shaped tin! 

Polo Holes The Hole with The Mint 9g Amazonin Amazon Pantry

• Ami2301
    Bit of nostalgia there @OverlyAnxious! Remember my mum buying them from Woolworth's whenever we went in.

Speaking of... why did they have to close down Woolworth's? :( 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Why are there always more chocolates you dont like in a box of chocolates, find them a waste of money as half of them get thrown away
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Why are multipack crisps sold in 6's or 12's when there are 7 days in a week...
  • Ami2301
    janer1967 said:
    Why are there always more chocolates you dont like in a box of chocolates, find them a waste of money as half of them get thrown away
    Definitely agree @janer1967 although I'm sure @poppy123456 would disagree ?
  • poppy123456
    Ami2301 said:
    janer1967 said:
    Definitely agree @janer1967 although I'm sure @poppy123456 would disagree ?

Haha pmsl...
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ami2301
    Why are multipack crisps sold in 6's or 12's when there are 7 days in a week...
    I'd never thought of it like that ?
  • poppy123456
    @OverlyAnxious they really sold the holes? :o wow, i don't remember that! Very rude of them to stop selling them.

As for the box chocolates, although i love chocolate and yes i have a very sweet tooth.. when i'm not following a healthy eating plan. I have to agree with @janer1967 why do they always put more coffee and orange ones in there than any others??? I usually give my daughter those ones  :D
  • Ami2301
    Life is like a box of chocolates.., except for the chocolate orange and coffee ones. Nobody wants them ?
  • leeCal
    edited November 2020
    If there are seven days in a week and fifty two weeks in a year why are there 365 days in a year when 52x7 = 364?  Crisps or no crisps.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    Add the Strawberry creams, and turkish delight to the list of unwanted ones
  • leeCal
    edited November 2020
    @janer1967 I really like strawberry creams and Turkish delight! ?
    i also like chocolate orange and coffee creams too @Ami2301
    Not toffees though thank you ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ami2301
    leeCal said:
    If there are seven days in a week and fifty two weeks in a year why are there 365 days in a year when 52x7 = 364?  Crisps or no crisps.
    Mind blown!  :o
  • janer1967
    @leeCal We know where to send them now lol and maybe you are the reason why they put them in. My favourite is the hazelnut clusters
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Some excellent observations here, other than coffee and orange being bad chocolate flavours. I love those ones! Send them my way if you ever have them left over ;)

And I think everything has gone downhill since Woolies closed @Ami2301- it was the beginning of the end.

To add another: I find it very frustrating that the internet connectivity problem troubleshooter is often online.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Some great questions here that I’m sure no one has the answer to!! ;)

Why do supermarkets sometimes place a large product on offer but not the small one, such that the large one ends up costing less?

For example, a small Cadbury Milk Tray for £6 or a large one for £5, reduced from £8.

Another one I came across was a litre of whisky for £16, reduced from £20, and next to it was a 70cl bottle for £17.

In both cases it would be cheaper to purchase the larger amount even if you threw some of it away!

I know what I’d do - I hate food waste as much as the next person, but I dislike money waste even more! :D
  • janer1967
    @66Mustang the offers are all down to the manufacturers and what they want to promote they give supermarkets huge discounts if they promote their product 

Also by making the bigger ones cheaper they hope they are more attractive to buy and then customers will keep in buying when they go back up and that's when the smaller size will sell 

Brightness