I just want to get a paid job and a job I'm comfortable in — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I just want to get a paid job and a job I'm comfortable in

James77
James77 Community member Posts: 35 Listener
edited November 2020 in Work and employment
I am new here my name is James if u want t get t me know me message or comment 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @James77 hi James and welcome to scope, please feel free to join in we're a friendly bunch, hope you are staying safe and keeping well ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James77 welcome to the community glad you have joined and look forward to seeing you around and hopefully you will virtually meet other members 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @James77! We're glad you've found us :)

Would you like to tell us about yourself?

The best place to get to know our members is the virtual coffee lounge, which is the home of our casual conversation and games. You can also have a browse through our list of recent discussions and get stuck in with anything that catches your eye.

Give us a shout if there's anything you need!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • James77
    @Tori_Scope I am 24 I've got dyspraxia but it's a mild version I'm looking for a long term job but it's frustration I've had a few jobs I play football as well but because of covid it's been called off I hope t meet new people on here how are you 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James77 and welcome to the community :) 

Finding a new job can be difficult, is there anything in particular you've struggled with in the past regarding employment? What's frustrating you?

Football sounds awesome, I don't play personally but I'm a big football fan, I'm sorry to hear it's been called off due to the pandemic. What position do you play?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • James77
    @Ross_Scope I play forward right or central mid I'm an Arsenal fan and in terms of jobs I've been going for fashion jobs and also supermarkets but I'm glad I've signed up for scope because I'm just hoping I'll get a job through this I've been successful in interviews for comission jobs but they're not very good jobs t go for but I hope I meet new people who are like me 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James77 - & welcome to the community. Thank you for telling us about yourself. Scope has some info that might help you with getting a job, particularly the 'Support to Work' programme. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/     Hope this helps. :)

• James77
    @chiarieds are people like us go into a mainstream job  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hi @James77, thanks for your reply.

I hope that being a part of this community will help you, and please do take a look at the page linked above, Scope have many services that might be of use to you.

Many disabled people, including several on this forum, have jobs and it's not something you should ever feel is beyond you or impossible to achieve. I'm sure you have many skills, which will help you gain what you call a mainstream job.

Interesting to hear you're an Arsenal fan, because I'm a Leeds fan, how are you feeling about the game this weekend?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • James77
    @Ross_Scope I am looking forward t the game against leeds but we don't look that good at the mo because we lost against Aston villa I have got great customer service skills I'm a fashion individual who has an eye for fashion but I just want t get a paid job and a job i feel comfortable in if that makes sense t u I do want a job where I can get into any advice 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Both Arsenal and Leeds are in poor form at the moment so it's a big game @James77 :) 

Well there you go, with those skills and interests I'm sure there are many careers you could aim for. 

I would suggest taking a look at Scope's Support to Work programme, they will be able to advise you on potential paths you could go down.

• James77
    @Ross_Scope At the moment I'm just so fed up and frustrated that I haven't got a job I've done hard t try n get one but no one wants to give me a chance I'm sorry if it is sounding like I'm frustrated I am happy but at the same time just so frustrated that it isn't happening with me at the mo what do you advice 
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited November 2020
    It's completely normal to be frustrated @James77, I admire you for being so determined to find and maintain a job. I would suggest visiting the links provided above by myself and others, Scope have services that are free and might help you massively.

I have also moved your discussion to our employment and careers section, in the hope that others will be able to offer their thoughts to you.

• James77
    @Ross_Scope thank you so much if I'm honest I've made an account now for the support to work but I've got a gut that feeling that I won't t get a job but scope might b a good thing for me because I've had so many set backs that my confidence isn't there n if I've just given up with application's n applying for jobs I'm really sorry if it's negative 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there and welcome to the forum . My disability are mental illnesses I struggle to hold a job down or even be able to do one . In the past I have had awful employers with no regards to the equality act but every employer is different recently I was offered a job by a really nice person who had a child with a mental illness who was so kind and was willing to be patient but with my illness I couldn’t keep the job but I lasted 45 mins but she was really nice and had offered to pay me for 2 hours . 
  • James77
    @cupcake88 what would you suggest 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Suggest for what as in a job ? That’s down to what you feel you would want to do for work personally my self I think I could only do a job that’s cleaning and only part time but that be way in the future my meds just went up again so I will have to get used to the this new Dose of meds in my system before I even think of going to work again . But we are all different . 
  • James77
    @Ambs42 amb are you looking for work or do you have a job wanted t ask you 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @James7 - I'm pleased you've joined Scope wanting to get a job.....please do trust that Scope's Support to Work programme will help, as this has helped so many people. Do please let us know how you get on. :)
  • James77
    @chiarieds ok I will trust scope I am so sorry for this negatively frustration I don't know where to go from here on end and I've had so so many set backs just need asap to get back to work 

Brightness