Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.

Hi, im Mungy! I have a question about an ESA underpayment.

MungyMungy Member Posts: 3 Listener
Please can anyone help.
I received an underpayment of ESA a few months ago of £12000. The lady who rang said I had to spend half of it. Is this correct and what is the time frame? I didn't receive a letter explaining anything.
Many thanks,
Mungy

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It will totally depend on what the underpayment was for. If you could give some more details then i'll be able to advise you further.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mungy and welcome to scope, some underpayments are ignored as capital for 12 months but as poppy rightly says it depends what it was so if you can give more details that would help.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Scope community team Posts: 3,156 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mungy and welcome to the community :)

I've moved your post over to our ESA discussion group and in the meantime if you could provide some more details about the underpayment then our benefit savvy members will be able to better help you.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Take part in our annual survey and let us know how we can improve your community experience.
  • MungyMungy Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hello everyone. Thank you for your replies. I was underpaid for the last 4 years, I am afraid that is all I know. Esa rang me  to say I was owed £12000 and they paid it into my bank account. No letter of explanation or how it was calculated. I am sorry , thats all I know. I have paid off a credit card and bought a few things. I am now down to £9000. Do I still have to spend £3000? Am I allowed to give it to my children and charity? I was paid at the end of July this year.
    Many thanks,
    Kindest regards
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Without knowing the reasons why you were underpaid, it's not possible to answer your question. If it was from an official DWP error then backdated money of more than £5,000 can be disregarded for the life of the ESA claim.

If it wasn't a DWP official error then it's disregarded for 1 year.

My advice is to ring DWP to ask how long it's disregarded for or what the backdated money was for. Very odd that they didn't send a letter because usually they do, unless they sent it but you never received it.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • MungyMungy Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hello there.
    Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, good idea, I will ring them to see why I received the money. Thanks for your help, Much appreciated.
    Kindest regards
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Scope community team Posts: 3,734 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, and let us know how you get on @Mungy :) 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Take a few minutes to complete our annual survey to let us know what you think about the online community.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 7,515 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mungy - & welcome to the community. I hope when you ring the DWP that you'll find out more. :)
Sign in or join us to comment.