Hi, im Mungy! I have a question about an ESA underpayment. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im Mungy! I have a question about an ESA underpayment.

Options
Mungy
Mungy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Please can anyone help.
I received an underpayment of ESA a few months ago of £12000. The lady who rang said I had to spend half of it. Is this correct and what is the time frame? I didn't receive a letter explaining anything.
Many thanks,
Mungy

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

It will totally depend on what the underpayment was for. If you could give some more details then i'll be able to advise you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mungy and welcome to scope, some underpayments are ignored as capital for 12 months but as poppy rightly says it depends what it was so if you can give more details that would help.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mungy and welcome to the community :)

I've moved your post over to our ESA discussion group and in the meantime if you could provide some more details about the underpayment then our benefit savvy members will be able to better help you.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Mungy
    Options
    Hello everyone. Thank you for your replies. I was underpaid for the last 4 years, I am afraid that is all I know. Esa rang me  to say I was owed £12000 and they paid it into my bank account. No letter of explanation or how it was calculated. I am sorry , thats all I know. I have paid off a credit card and bought a few things. I am now down to £9000. Do I still have to spend £3000? Am I allowed to give it to my children and charity? I was paid at the end of July this year.
    Many thanks,
    Kindest regards
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Without knowing the reasons why you were underpaid, it's not possible to answer your question. If it was from an official DWP error then backdated money of more than £5,000 can be disregarded for the life of the ESA claim.

If it wasn't a DWP official error then it's disregarded for 1 year.

My advice is to ring DWP to ask how long it's disregarded for or what the backdated money was for. Very odd that they didn't send a letter because usually they do, unless they sent it but you never received it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mungy
    Options
    Hello there.
    Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, good idea, I will ring them to see why I received the money. Thanks for your help, Much appreciated.
    Kindest regards
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, and let us know how you get on @Mungy :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mungy - & welcome to the community. I hope when you ring the DWP that you'll find out more. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.