Alcohol alternatives; have you ever tried mocktails? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Alcohol alternatives; have you ever tried mocktails?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Also, I have veggie sausages and mince most weeks instead of meat, even though I'm not vegetarian.  I find them much healthier and simpler to cook.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,589 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think you are both spot on.

There are many alcoholic drinks I would happily pay the same amount for and drink just for the taste even if they weren't alcoholic - like beer, cider and single malt whisky. However there are some alcoholic drinks that I wouldn't enjoy the taste enough to justify drinking when nicer non-alcoholic drinks are available.

I think vodka is a good example of the latter. In most of the cocktails I know that have vodka in them, it doesn't really enhance the flavour (to me) and is there (in my opinion) for the effect - sometimes it is almost as if the other ingredients are in fact there to hide the taste of the alcohol - if I just wanted a nice tasting drink I'd be happy to omit vodka from most cocktails that ask for it.

Obviously we are all different, some people I'm sure like the taste of vodka! :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yep, I'm with you on the vodka @66Mustang! If I'm drinking vodka it's not for the taste. However, my Dad (who never drinks vodka) said he once tried a really really expensive kind of vodka at a work event and said it was delicious, so maybe we're just drinking the wrong stuff :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • 66Mustang
    Options
  • 66Mustang
    edited November 2020
    Options
    This is a new drink I recently tried and quickly became one of my favourites. To celebrate alcohol awareness week I might make one today without the vodka and using orange juice instead of blue curacao. Sadly it won’t be blue, though!

https://www.absolutdrinks.com/en/drinks/blue-hawaiian/
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That would be so cool if you did that @66Mustang, it sounds like a yummy drink to be fair :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea @66Mustang! I'd be interested to know how it turns out :) 

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Sadly we had no orange juice left so I just mixed the coconut syrup with pineapple juice :D it’s really nice though. I used to mix coconut rum with pineapple juice and this tastes the same just without the alcohol, and sweeter!
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Still sounds nice @66Mustang! Ooh that does sound good. I'm getting less and less happy with my cup of squash each sip I take.

Brightness