Your unpopular opinions - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your unpopular opinions

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Eliz31abeth I had the same thing happens to me last week, it was so close I had to climb in the passenger seat and over the gearstick. Not an easy trick now.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Eliz31abeth
    Eliz31abeth Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    leeCal said:
    @Eliz31abeth I had the same thing happens to me last week, it was so close I had to climb in the passenger seat and over the gearstick. Not an easy trick now.
    No!!! Whats the matter with them? 
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    More irritating phrases which I have heard especially during the pandemic:

"It is what it is" (usually when someone is doing a tick box exercise about wellbeing).

"That's a really good question" I am really fed up hearing this especially during the government press briefings or when it is said in response to a question which someone does not want to answer. 

People talking about wellbeing when they do not actually care about wellbeing. It has become lip service and just a tick box exercise.

People asking how you are and before you have time to answer they start talking about what they actually want. 

People who claim to be "disability champions" who refuse to discuss the serious issue of the workplace bullying of disabled staff. Being disabled at work is not only about having the right equipment as being treated like a human being is just as (if not more) important.

I think far more needs to be done to try to eradicate workplace bullying of disabled people. Bullying is often covered up and the only recourse to most people is to go to an Employment Tribunal. I don't think that some employers have progressed at all especially when it comes to peer bullying of disabled staff. Unfortunately workplace bullying can have long term health implications which could be avoided instead of basically allowing bullies to continue making disabled staff's lives a misery.

I read the comments made by @Francis_theythem on another thread. I am sorry to hear about how you feel and I often feel the same way because I am often made to feel like I am an afterthought. People often exclude me because they don't value my contribution so now I don't bother contributing when I have to interact with those kind of people. I think it's shameful that disabled people are made to feel worthless. I am fed up with tick box exercises about wellbeing because if people can't get the basics right then going on about wellbeing is pointless. Wellbeing, diversity, equality, inclusion etc are the latest buzzwords in workplaces but in reality they mean nothing.

@leeCal Before I got a Blue Badge I had other drivers park right up against my car so I had to wait until they got back because I couldn't get into my car. I can't climb over the passenger seat. I used to park in an empty part of the supermarket car park only to return and find that a SUV was usually parked right next to me so I couldn't get it.

People who use other people's Blue Badges when the holder is not in the car and people who park in the few disabled spaces without a Blue Badge knowing that nothing will be done.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Words like diversity, inclusion and equality can often be thrown around without much substance to back them up @RAwarrior, I agree with you. It almost saddens me when we heavily praise a certain employer for being all of those things, because it should be common practice.

It certainly is annoying when people park in the spaces that they aren't supposed to, I wish the rules were enforced, those spaces serve a valuable purpose for those who use them legitimately.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    Since we have larger cars like the SUV they should widen supermarket and public car parking spaces to suit.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    leeCal said:
    Since we have larger cars like the SUV they should widen supermarket and public car parking spaces to suit.
    If you can afford an SUV you can afford to get shopping delivered! :)

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I noticed the car parking spaces in Waitrose are larger than regular ones, and deduced that it is because everyone who shops at Waitrose has a Range Rover. ;)
  • RAwarrior
    Hi @Ross_Scope,

Thank you very much for your comments?

I actually switch off when people who I know don’t actually care about diversity, equality and inclusion start talking about it because it is meaningless when these people talk about it. If I want to discuss these issues I would discuss it with people who actually want disabled people be treated fairly including people in this online community.

Unfortunately along with the many other words/phrases I have mentioned, they have become yet more buzzwords?

I am fed up with people talking about wellbeing when it’s clear they are only doing it to make themselves look good. Employers need to do far more to stop disabled staff getting bullied at work and I think things have got worse for many disabled people because ridiculing someone who is disabled doesn’t seem to matter?
  • 66Mustang
    edited November 2020
    On the topic of parking in spaces that are inappropriate I would say people who park in parent and child spaces when they don't have their child with them are annoying.

As this is the unpopular opinion thread I will add one, though I'm not 100% convinced of it myself, not saying I 100% agree...Parent and child spaces should not exist at all. People who are disabled do not choose to be disabled and they need more space so they deserve it but people with children choose to have children - why should they get special treatment because of their lifestyle choices? Just adapt. :D
  • leeCal
    edited November 2020
    Good point @66Mustang ?

when i I was young and had a family there were no such thing as parent and child parking spaces and we got by fine. There are a limited number of them anyway .

― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    edited November 2020
    RAwarrior said:
    Hi @Ross_Scope,

Thank you very much for your comments?

I actually switch off when people who I know don’t actually care about diversity, equality and inclusion start talking about it because it is meaningless when these people talk about it. If I want to discuss these issues I would discuss it with people who actually want disabled people be treated fairly including people in this online community.

Unfortunately along with the many other words/phrases I have mentioned, they have become yet more buzzwords?

I am fed up with people talking about wellbeing when it’s clear they are only doing it to make themselves look good. Employers need to do far more to stop disabled staff getting bullied at work and I think things have got worse for many disabled people because ridiculing someone who is disabled doesn’t seem to matter?
    Yeah, about 3 and half years ago I was at work at the PDSA Charity shop, battery died in my hearing aid but I can't change it myself due to the nature of digital aids, so I went upstairs to the Staff room to ask a Colleague to help me, and when he thought I could hear him he called me a "Deaf C word", I DID hear him though and a few years ago I'd have belted him, my initial thought was to report him but Dad said not to "rock the Boat" at work by making a thing of it.

Consequently a few days later I went in work to apologise for not being able to do an extra shift due to illness, he was on the Till, and goes "What THA doin' ere?" so I proceeded to tell him in no uncertain terms what he could do with his low opinion of me, consequently I lost my job because the Manager sided with him and accused me of "mishearing" what he said! 

I might be deaf but contrary to popular belief I'm not daft!

• encaser
    encaser Community member Posts: 400 Pioneering
    @MrAllen1976 Blimey, him and his boss sound like a total **** hat. Sorry to hear that. It's the sort of things tribunals are made for but if they're like that there then better off out of it, I guess. Unfortunately, you can't teach some to be better people.
  • [Deleted User]
    encaser said:
    @MrAllen1976 Blimey, him and his boss sound like a total **** hat. Sorry to hear that. It's the sort of things tribunals are made for but if they're like that there then better off out of it, I guess. Unfortunately, you can't teach some to be better people.
    That's the thing, I would've been well within my rights to take the PDSA to the Cleaners under the 2010 Equality Act for discrimination, but Dad told me to leave it.

• RAwarrior
    People who start to answer a question with. “So”. This is also something I have heard during the last few months.

People parking in disabled spaces without a Blue Badge. I recently saw three out of the five disabled spaces taken up by cars without a badge and because they are no parking fines, people do it because they cannot park because the car park is full. However, this means people like me don’t get a space.

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2020
    The fact that you have to jump through several "Hoops" to apply for a job as a disabled person, even if you're more than able to do the job apart from being disabled and especially if you're on the Autism spectrum, most people see "Autism" and run a mile unless they're in the Medical profession and need to know about it.

I also think that in most cases, people who get lost driving to places and blindly following the Sat Nav should be arrested for trespassing in Fields and that.

• leeCal
    I’m not keen on people parking on bends and opposite t junctions. Since when is it legal to do so?!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    Is this unpopular?

I don’t like arrogance. If someone goes on about their achievements I immediately assume they feel they have something to prove and are not actually that good in reality. I prefer someone who is modest and unassuming. 

Without exception, every single one of the people I know who has done good/impressive/interesting/selfless things in their lives has been extremely modest about it and played it down, and are almost embarrassed to talk about it when asked.

On the contrary I have met several people who are constantly expressing their achievements and bigging themselves up, and these people have lived boring lives and have not done anything of note.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd say disliking arrogance is a popular opinion @66Mustang :) 

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks on that point.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    The amount of coffee creams in my bag of revels is unacceptably high compared to the orange creams...
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    @Ross_Scope I’d be glad if it was a popular opinion but from what I have heard it sounds like arrogant people are desirable in the workplace and do better at getting jobs/promotions and arrogant people also attract a lot of fans on places like social media and with things like celebrities!!

I guess there is a fine line between being confident in your skills and arrogant

Brightness