Hi, im shameus03. Can I become self employed + still claim PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im shameus03. Can I become self employed + still claim PIP?

shameus03
shameus03 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’m currently in receipt of pip and am looking at becoming self employed can I still claim pip?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome.

Lots of people claim PIP and work. Providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP there shouldn't be any problems at all. PIP also isn't means tested so doesn't affect the amount you can claim.

However, working may affect any other benefits you may already be claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shameus03 - & welcome to the community. Yes, you can still claim PIP & work, but be aware that any job you do, if this contradicts what you've stated in a PIP claim form, may go against you in the future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @shameus03 and welcome to our community.

I'm glad you found us and i hope the advice you have kindly received helped!

I've moved your post over to our PIP, DLA and AA discussion board so it can help others with the same question in the future too.  Be sure to ask anything else you might be wondering about while you are here and I hope you have a great day.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @shameus03 :) Let us know if you have any further questions!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • LuckeeBlackCat1
    LuckeeBlackCat1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Yes, regardless of unemployment, employment, or self employment you can claim PIP. 
    But be careful if you receive ESA etc that's means tested and DWP know you became self employed. 
    Speak to Jobcentre work coach and do Permitted Work sd self employed within the limit of working hours of week, how much you earn. Talk to agency. 
    I fancy Permitted Work as self employed but I sm in Support Group of ESA and recently my mobility in new PIP slashed so until Mandatory Reconsideration review I will stay self isolation. Good luck to you. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Good point @LuckeeBlackCat1, while PIP isn't means tested it's always worth pointing out that other benefits will be impacted by employment and other factors.

Welcome to the community @shameus03 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.