25th Anniversary of the Disability Discrimination Act, but what still needs to be improved? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

25th Anniversary of the Disability Discrimination Act, but what still needs to be improved?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Totally agree we all need to feel safe when we,re out especially these days.
  • Lindsey54
    Lindsey54 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 11 Connected
     B) I wish it were possible for me to disguise what is wrong with me and be as active as I once was.  I know that this is unrealistic but I am a bit of a wishful thinker 
  • Katie11
    Katie11 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have lived with Fibromyalgia since 2011 and have been battling M.E/C.F.S for the past two years (only diagnosed August this year after finally asking for help from the GP). Since being dignosed and admitting that I need help and support I have never felt so discriminated against.  I am having to fight tooth and nail for a Blue Badge, needing to justify why I don't look like I'm in pain or discomfort. My work have said that there are no resonable adjustments that can be made and if I don't like it then... The OT suggested to my work that reasonable adjustments should be made like allowing me to use the disabled space, no break duty, sitting instead of standing where possible etc and as a last resort a drop in hours may benefit.  My employer looked at it and said to me that if I take too much time off, or look like I'm not managing, reducing my hours will be the first thing they do whether I can afford it or not because they have a letter from a health professional that tells them they can.
    Last week, I had my performance managment the other week and was told that I am still giving 100% and that they cannot fault my work, however I am not my usual happy cheery self. This was followed by, I could ask you to leave it all at home... but I suppose it's difficult when you are tired and in pain.  It's bad enough that I feel so rubbish because of my disability, but having to fight for help as well not having the support of my employer (who was supportive until my diagnosis).
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Katie11 I'm sorry you are coming up against resistance in getting a blue badge and reasonable adjustments at work.  It really illustrates why much more needs to be done legislation and policy wise for disabled people to gain equality :(

Scope have some information pages about getting reasonable adjustments at work and steps to take if you feel that your employer isn't doing enough, so please bear these in mind if you continue experiencing problems. 

I hope you have better success soon, please let us know if we can help in any way.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • colpsteinmark
    colpsteinmark Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2020
    I still can't get a job, every time I declare my disability I get rejected. Also, I've been saying for years that the DDA, and its little Brother the Equality Act 2010, aren't worth the paper they're printed on because the Tories don't enforce them and never will IMO.

Also, when you're applying to places like the local Council where you're supoosed to get a "guaraunteed" interview under the 2 ticks scheme, the conditions are too harsh IMO, like last year I applied to be a Lollipop Man at a school in Sheffield, I declared my disability for the 2 ticks thing, they never even acnknowledged my application much less give me an interview.

OK there'd be issues with me being a Lollipop Man due to my disability but that's beside the point, I should've at least gotten a punt on it even if I didn't get it.

I am hi my name is Mark [removed by moderator - full name] for me faintly my comment about employment I’ve been working in sheltered workshops in the pub about seven assessment and I have been out to get open implement them that you only workshop I could have it going to speculate sheltered workshop with the close down now go there no more sheltered employment around now I’ll been trying for years but I’m not perfect I hope you like bye, bye for now
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    IMO because putting on and taking off the mask breaks my hearing aid I should be exempt, but officially I'm not because I don't have to lip read according to the fools in government! Falsehood, I do lip read!

Jesus wept!

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976 :) I had a look at RNID's information on face coverings, which has some advice on wearing face coverings with hearing aids, and also says:
    You do not need to wear a face covering if you are unable to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability.
    This means you don’t have to wear a face covering if:
    • you cannot wear your hearing aids or cochlear implant processor securely with a face covering
    • wearing a face covering interferes with your hearing aids or cochlear implant processor.
    You do not need to wear a face covering if you’re travelling with or providing assistance to someone who relies on lipreading or facial expressions to communicate.

And anyone can temporarily lower their face covering while maintaining social distancing to communicate with someone who relies on lipreading or facial expressions.
    You're not required to have one, but do you have an exemption card?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry that you've had that experience @basket123. Do you mean that people scream at you for not wearing a face mask? 

You're definitely not alone in feeling this way, many of our members unfortunately feel the same.

• csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    basket123 said:
    Interesting reading everyones thoughts and how it effects them. I have personally had people scream at me , as my disability is unseen.
    Especially just now, getting the bus, not having to wear a mask, sitting in disabled seating. I often move for others that need, no thanks given. 
    The whole experience is a trauma for me.
    I have different people helping me, but often feel so alone coping with everything .
    Happy Saturday all.
    Hi @bas@basket123
    I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I too have had a similar experience on buses too, so you are not alone. It was very traumatic. 
    I did however pick up the courage to use public transport again travelling to certain places after taking a break. Since the Pandemic, I havent used public transport at all. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Great news, hopefully they'll be able to help you out @basket123 :) 

I can imagine that must be very upsetting. We agree that greater public understanding of mask exemption, and disability in general, is really important. I'm glad that the bus drivers have stood up for you before though.

• jae377
    jae377 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    The major issue with the DDA or Equalities Act are that the Government assumes we can all afford to pay solicitors to fight our corner. Classic example, traying to buy a second hand vehicle and have it adapted. Dealers more than happy to sell a new vehicle and accept VAT exemption form BUT  try to purchase a used vehicle and have qualifying adaptations done. There is a laid down procedure for this. The dealer takes the car out of the "margins " scheme and sells it "Off Book" - simple No ? Problem is that that tells you what the dealer paid for the vehicle - VAT exemption is on cost of adaptations and profit margin. Franchised dealers for the vehicle I am assessed as safe driving and able to access easily ALL either refused outright or in 1 case messed me about for 5 weeks then stated they had sold the vehicle to someone who did not need adaptions. Whilst and independent dealer did help  me it meant I did not get the 2 years warranty offered via a franchised dealer. Whilst some of the dealers are possibly nervous about having their VAT records scrutinised as a result of having an unusual transaction showing I cannot believe that they are all "being less than honest" with their VAT.
    So clear case of discrimination - but who is going to do anything about it - short answer no-one, unless I want to take on the might of Land Rover on my own, with the costs that involves
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    And that is exactly why Racism should not be more equal than all other equalities, the only one which is enforced without the victim needing to be a Bill Gates.
    Even the pathetically few cases taken by the old Equalities commission rarely cover disablism, and never ageism. Their ex chair Sir Trevor Phillips remarked  Disablism is worse than Racism, in it's effect on people's lives, but didn't  mention Ageism, which is also ignored
  • 5imply_Ted
    5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    I have epilepsy and need a carer on public transport. Trains are so expensive but the disabled persons railcard helps a lot. However, I bought my ticket to London for Xmas then realised I'd forgotten to add a plus one. I was made to buy a new ticket at full price for my companion rather than being allowed to add them to my railcard ticket. It might not be discrimination but it's downright callous imho to do that to disabled people on benefits.
  • [Deleted User]
    I have epilepsy and need a carer on public transport. Trains are so expensive but the disabled persons railcard helps a lot. However, I bought my ticket to London for Xmas then realised I'd forgotten to add a plus one. I was made to buy a new ticket at full price for my companion rather than being allowed to add them to my railcard ticket. It might not be discrimination but it's downright callous imho to do that to disabled people on benefits.
    Actually it IS discrimination IMO, and you would be within your rights to challenge their decision, OK I've spent the last several years saying that current "Equality" laws aren't worth the paper they're printed on because the government don't enforce them and probably never will, but they are there.

• Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @MrAllen1976 complain make a formal complaint. Best Wishes Will
  • [Deleted User]
    Parrot123 said:
    @MrAllen1976 complain make a formal complaint. Best Wishes Will
    I would've done but Dad told me not to make a "thing" of it at the time, plus I'd have probably lost if the case went to Court anyway, Gemma would've sided with HIM over me.

• Parrot123
    @MrAllen1976 you got nothing to lose 1 call good luck Will 
  • Parrot123
    newborn said:
    And that is exactly why Racism should not be more equal than all other equalities, the only one which is enforced without the victim needing to be a Bill Gates.
    Even the pathetically few cases taken by the old Equalities commission rarely cover disablism, and never ageism. Their ex chair Sir Trevor Phillips remarked  Disablism is worse than Racism, in it's effect on people's lives, but didn't  mention Ageism, which is also ignored
    newborn said:
    newborn said:
    newborn said:
    newborn said:
    newborn said:
    newborn said:
    @newborn. It's not just racists,disabled,vulnerable,.ageism. All needs reviewed. Boris does not care about us. Never has and never will. He gives Universal Credit an extra £100 Disabled per month extra 0. We need to stand up and be heard. Will xx
  • [Deleted User]
    The Tories will never give the disabled the rights we deserve, they know it'd upset the hordes of Daily Fail readers who'd vote for a 3 legged Sheep if it wore the colours of the Tories, these people think all disabled are "workshy slaves to the Benefit system", falsehood! It's the fact that current anti-discrimination laws ain't worth the paper they're printed on IMO that means we can't get jobs, and any disabled person that does get "employment" is probably on some ridiculously low paid "government scheme" where all the "clients" are on benefits and can't earn much without the DWP jumps on them from a great height with sanctions.

• Parrot123
    @MrAllen1976 Well said Sir. I totally agree i have a 0 work limit. I feel as if i could do something even part time. But the Drs have written me off i am not even 50 yet Will

Brightness