Ready to move but how to get an accessible home? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ready to move but how to get an accessible home?

Options
PeterPan_2020
PeterPan_2020 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My home does not suit my needs now and I am looking to move to Lewisham in London closer to work but found no suitable accessible home or flat. Where is the best place to find an accessible home?

Thanks, 
Peter pan

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I'm not sure for the area you are wanting. Are you looking for social housing or private rent 

It's hard to find accessible housing anywhere 

You could contact shelter while may have some advice 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    There are loads of flats all round the Lewisham area.  Would it need to be fully wheelchair standard?   You will know about air quality and the South Circular.   There are pockets of surprisingly all right places, in the middle of what looks worrying places to live.   Even in Catford. 

But the access thing is of course a problem because almost no U.K. housing stock is built that way, and even the supposedly enforced percentages of developments are easily not built, when developers have a get out clause of saying it won't be economically viable after all, or it won't be a practical possibility, after all.

That's why I hoped all charities and some journalists would leap on the Public Consultation which closed today, and ask for it to be law that NO new build should be impossible for disabled people to live in. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @PeterPan_2020, love the username :) 

Moving can be a challenging task, and finding accessible housing is very difficult unfortunately.

You might find this page on our website useful, about finding suitable accommodation andmoving.

What sort of home are you looking for? What would it need to have, or not have?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • newborn
    Options
    With your user name, you should live at the top end of Lewisham near what is now Homebase and  has a pond with an island in it,  and which for generations has been known as Peter Pan's Pool!
  • PeterPan_2020
    PeterPan_2020 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you, Ross. The link is useful. I am looking at them now. Ideally, a flat for a wheelchair. 

newborn said:
    With your user name, you should live at the top end of Lewisham near what is now Homebase and  has a pond with an island in it,  and which for generations has been known as Peter Pan's Pool!
    Lewisham sounds great with Lewisham College. Is there such thing as Peter Pan's Pool? Will search for it. 

I am interested to find out more about the Public Consultation. What is it?

Thank you. 
  • newborn
    Options
    For actual pools, Blackheath is the place.  It has three, one with a duck island.  Near there is Morden College Alms Houses.  Over the heath is the wall of Greenwich Park, which has a hidden deer enclosure and The Maritime Museum at the top, with the Meridien line running through.  If you go at noon, the enormous ball on the roof shoots up  (hydraulic) and slowly sinks back.  Next to it is General Wolfe's statue, where you look down past the boating pond to the Royal Naval College, Greenwich University, Cutty Sark,  Water Ferry, Foot tunnel under the Thames .   That is all at the big loop of the Thames.  You see O2 too. To the right of the river is Woolwich free Ferry, and the Thames Barrier.    At the higher level, on the way to Woolwich, is  a  Jacobean building called Charlton House, used as  a library.  The Park also has Rangers House and Queens House.   Henry the 8th liked to chase either deer or ladies in the area.   If you live near Lewisham, go to Horniman Museum at Forest Hill, and look at the basement aquarium and the Butterfly House, when they open again.  

The pool  called Peter Pans Pool had a miniature fun fair for years, generations in fact.   That's why all locals and older people still call  it Peter Pan's.  Homebase did away with the fair, for a car park.  It will probably officially just be called Homebase now, and it is known nowadays more for the fibre glass couple on a bench.   

Will you be working or learning at the college?  A little way further is Goldsmiths College. Further beyond that is Peckham then Camberwell Art College.   A lot goes on in South (used to be pronounced Saahf ) London, but North of the river is a foreign land.  The strange people who live there always looked down their noses.   At one time, in the last century, there even had to be an Amending  Act of Parliament to instruct the Carriage Office to order black cab drivers  to accept fares to cross the river, they were so reluctant!.

Brightness