Share your family Christmas recipes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Share your family Christmas recipes

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hi all 

Do you have a family favourite recipe to share with us that you make over the festive season, could be anything from stuffing, gravy cake and so on 

ere is my favourite Festive biscuit recipe I make these with my son and we cut them out into Christmas shapes, the idea is to put them on the tree but they never maker it there always get eaten first 

Ingredients

225 g self raising flour
1 orange zested
Half teaspoon ground mixed spice
115g Golden castor sugar
115g Unsalted butter
1 medium egg beaten

For the icing 

400g icing sugar
1 teaspoon food colouring
Silber earls
Chocolate starts
Coloured ready rtoll icing

Method

Preheat oven Gas 4 or 180 c
Grease 2 baking sheets
Add flour, orange zest, mixed spice and butter together and rub together with finger tips till resembles crumbs
Add egg and mix into stiff dough, bring it together with your hands into a disc then wrap in cling film and chill for at least 20 mins
Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to about 5mm, then use cutters to cut out shapes
Transgfer to baking sheet and chill for 10 mins
Bake for 10-12 mins until pale golden brown , transfer to wire rack

They can be eaten plain ort dusted with sugar or decorated and iced  

Now over to you to share Im looking for a nice stuffing recipe

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @janer1967 :) I have my Grandma's stuffing recipe (probably not actually hers :D), but it's not really written down so I'll try and type it up here to the best of my ability. It's really buttery and doesn't taste like a lot of other stuffing recipes, but I love it!

Ingredients (enough for a medium-ish loaf tin)

• 3 to 4 sticks of celery
    • 1 onion
    • Block of butter
    • Sage
    • Slightly stale loaf of bread

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C
    2. Tear the bread into little chunks, about the same size you'd feed to ducks, and place into a bowl
    3. Dice the onion and celery. You don't want them to be too big, but it's up to you how chunky you want it
    4. Melt the entire block of butter in a frying pan
    5. Add the onion and celery, and fry in the butter until soft
    6. Add sage to the onion and celery mix. It's up to you how much you want to add
    7. Pour the onion and celery mix into the bowl with the bread, and mix together until all of the bread is soaked with butter and the onion and celery and distributed throughout
    8. Press the stuffing into a loaf tin. You want it to be quite compact or it'll crumble and fall apart
    9. Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Keep an eye on it, and take it out when the top is starting to brown
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Another one of my Grandma's recipes is this Eggnog recipe. Sorry it's in cups and lbs, my Mum is Canadian and they're a bit behind the times. 1 cup is 237ml, and 1 lb is 0.45kg according to Google.

This makes about 8 to 10 glasses.

Ingredients

• 6 eggs
    • 1/2 lb icing sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 cup vanilla essence
    • 2 tins evaporated milk
    • 1 1/2 cups water

Method

1. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until light in colour
    2. Gradually beat in the icing sugar, salt, and vanilla essence
    3. Stir in the evaporated milk
    4. Stir in the water
    5. Cover the bowl with cling film and put it in the fridge for 24 hours
    6. Stir again, and pour into a jug
    7. Serve to your taste. I like mine with a sprinkle nutmeg on top. You can have it how it is, or add a dark spirit like rum, whiskey, brandy, or amaretto if you're in the mood!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    Thanks for those @Tori_Scope was looking for a stuffing recipe might give that a try the eggnog too I have never tried it 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    This is a special drink for when a certain elderly family member gets angry over nothing on Christmas Day and other family members get upset because Christmas has not gone to plan

3 parts whisky
    3 parts gin
    3 parts vodka
    1 part white spirit

Mix together and drink

Repeat if doesn’t work after 15 mins

Only joking of course but as you can see I am nervous about Christmas :D I have a family member who absolutely loves Christmas and puts all their effort into making it perfect but I have another elderly family member who gets angry very very easily and starts complaining about little things that don’t matter, and often it results in tears.

All that said I do like Christmas.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to make my own stuffing, but no longer bother. My cheat for this is to use sage & onion stuffing mix, but add very finely chopped celery, & fairly finely diced pieces of red pepper, mix all the ingredients together in an ovenproof dish, then add boiling water before putting in the oven. Ready in 35 mins.
    It tastes nicer, & the bits of red pepper make it also look more festive. When I invited my next door neighbours for Christmas dinner a couple of years ago (I must have been mad as he's a chef & she works in catering), one of them had second helpings. :)
  • janer1967
    That sounds good @chiarieds just to add things you like to the stuffing mix 

Brightness