Disabled and volunteering — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled and volunteering

Delbasid
Delbasid Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I have found a great outlet for myself since I moved up to Oxfordshire from West Sussex. Joining Age UK as a phone friend is something I look forward to every week. Having three phone friends is really interesting as mainly I get quizzed on what I have been up to! I also have been involved in volunteer driving which really keeps me so busy. I chose to become a Voluntary driver as I used the system when I lost a leg in a motorcycle accident and am only too pleased to give my time back. I drove just under a 100 miles today alone. Giving is great.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Delbasid that is great to hear. While I am sure the other people really appreciate it it sounds like being a phone friend benefits you just as much as the other person if I may say. :)  Also, it is nice to hear about the driving. It is good to give something back when you are able to I agree. I would love to be a volunteer driver as well when I am able to go out alone as driving is something I am passionate about. I love driving around for fun with no real aim so if I could be given a purpose while doing it then that would be a win-win.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Up to about last March I volunteered for a LONG time until the first lockdown meant I had to leave my last voluntary position. It's valuable experience but if you want to put that experience on your CV, I'd advise against, you'll get some fool from an Agency accusing you of lying about all of it unless you have written references backing up what you've done.

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Well done, @Delbasid! I'm sure that you are helping to make some people's lives easier, especially if you are driving them to hospital or other places they need to get to!
    I'm full of admiration for you, as I can't drive at all. I did have some lessons around 40 years ago but the whole experience was a dismal failure and I was too terrified to try again!
    It is very commendable that you find it satisfying to help others and getting out and about and meeting other people is  good for you as well. It's a very positive approach. 
  • Delbasid
    you are you are all fantastic people.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's wonderful to hear @Delbasid :) I started a discussion for International Volunteer Day the other day, so I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences over there! 

I know what you mean about getting a lot out of the experience. I used to work with older people in a previous job, and I'd sometimes get to attend lunch clubs and the like. I also ran a bowls session for them, and I always found I didn't want to leave at the end as we were having such fun chatting! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome great with you do and the phone friend is something I an thinking of looking into doing myself 

I too have lost a leg and was hoping to get back driving but now have limited vision so cant drive anymore 

• Delbasid
    About 10 years ago I had a Nevro Spinal stimulator surgically fitted in London. As you can imagine the unit is pretty well worn. I have been told not to hold my breath For a an upgraded unit.
  • Rebecca7
    Rebecca7 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Up to about last March I volunteered for a LONG time until the first lockdown meant I had to leave my last voluntary position. It's valuable experience but if you want to put that experience on your CV, I'd advise against, you'll get some fool from an Agency accusing you of lying about all of it unless you have written references backing up what you've done.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the CV. That sounds really discouraging. Do you think that there could be a way for you to start volunteering again?
  • [Deleted User]
    Rebecca7 said:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the CV. That sounds really discouraging. Do you think that there could be a way for you to start volunteering again?
    I'm considering going back to one of my old jobs at some point, Hospital Radio up at the Hallamshire Hospital.

• Tori_Scope
    That sounds great @MrAllen1976! What role did you have with the radio? Did you have your own show? 

• [Deleted User]
    That sounds great @MrAllen1976! What role did you have with the radio? Did you have your own show? 
    No, I was a co-presenter on a request show, which never got any requests.

• Tori_Scope
    My brother used to co-host a university radio show, and had the same problem @MrAllen1976. They used to pretend they'd gotten requests from people as an excuse to play whatever they wanted :D 

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2020
    My brother used to co-host a university radio show, and had the same problem @MrAllen1976. They used to pretend they'd gotten requests from people as an excuse to play whatever they wanted :D 
    Back then we had a set playlist which we couldn't deviate from unless someone did ring up with a specific request, sometimes it was something very specific, even though we had loads and loads of songs in the database, we might not have always got what they want, but we could for instance play a different song by the same artiist.

One of THE most requested songs though as I recall was, and probably still is, "Simply the Best" by Tina Turner for all the Doctors and Nurses.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Not a bad idea to be fair, I'd love a radio show designed to take requests, then ultimately have no requests and play whatever I like.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Delbasid
                            How are you? Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. Great to hear that you are getting so much out of the volunteering you are doing and a big thank you to you for supporting people in a variety of ways. Volunteering is so vast in terms of the opportunities out there and I have very positive experiences of it. Thank you for sharing. 
  • Delbasid
    I am quite surprised that as drivers, we take mostly vulnerable patients and yet have not been tested..
  • Tori_Scope
    What's the policy @Delbasid, if you don't mind me asking? That you aren't to volunteer if you have any symptoms? 

Brightness