What issues are you experiencing with communication from the government? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What issues are you experiencing with communication from the government?

Options
Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Research and opportunities

Scope is looking to find out what issues disabled people are encountering from Government communications about the coronavirus pandemic

We are specifically looking for examples of bad communications about disabled people’s employment, but we are also interested in any piece of communication from Government that was about covid-19.

In particular, we are looking to find out:

• Did the communication tell you everything you needed to know?
  • Was it accessible?
  • What was the impact of you not receiving the information you wanted?

Scope are lobbying the Government to ensure that all announcements and updates they give as part of the coronavirus pandemic set out what disabled people can expect.

Your thoughts and experiences on how well the Government has been communicating would be very much appreciated, to help us make the case for improvement in the future.

So if you have any examples or thoughts that you would like to share with us then please do so below.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is a great opportunity to feed directly into government lobbying!  

Personally, I found the lack of a British Sign Language interpreter at daily briefings a real oversight.  Deaf/deaf people were unable to receive the news at the same time as other people, leaving them at an instant disadvantage. 

Also, the graphics used in briefing presentations were sometimes difficult to interpret and complex to read.  Consideration to people with learning difficulties seemed lacking.  Equally, were easy-read versions of policies/legislation provided by the government alongside mainstream publications?  If not, I think that should be standard procedure.  

Did anyone else note these things?  What would have made your understanding of events clearer?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a letter and text messages from Government 10 weeks into lockdown telling me to shield was a bit late by then, I presume it was because I am diabetic I was asked to shield 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I also got a call weeks into LD1 telling me i didn't need to shield just needed to be careful.
    I had a few occasions  when I needed to call the DWP and although I had to wait upto an hour to get through my calls were all handled professionally and with good knowledge of the issues.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just a few hours left if you have anything to add here :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.