Chance of work 16hrs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chance of work 16hrs

Options
isaac887904
isaac887904 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, Good afternoon, Ive had mental health issues since I was was a child.
I am currently on ESA in the support group.
There is a chance I can get work with a friend, I want to work.
He has a business but I'm unsure how I go about telling the DWP and how it will affect my housing benefit and council tax e.t.c.
I live alone and have dependents but they live with their mother.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks David

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

You can do what's called permitted work when claiming ESA BUT you need to work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £140 per week after deductions. If you work 16 hours and more then you won't be entitled to any ESA and it will stop.

You need to speak to DWP and ask them to send you a PW1 form to fill in and return. Do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be re-assessed early and the decision coulc go against you when it's made.

Permitted work shouldn't affect any housing benefit but you will need to report the changes to your local council so at least they know.

Alternatively if you're going to work more than 16 hours then it maybe worth you claiming Universal Credit before you start working and your ESA support group award will be honoured in UC and you'll be placed into the LCWRA group. Although before you do this you'll need to get a full benefits check by either using a benefits calculator or speaking to an advice agency near you.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @isaac887904 :) I hope that the above advice has been helpful!

Please feel free to ask any further questions you might have, and stick around to join in with our other recent discussions
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • isaac887904
    isaac887904 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Many thanks to you both you've been very helpful

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.