Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Chance of work 16hrs

Hi, Good afternoon, Ive had mental health issues since I was was a child.
I am currently on ESA in the support group.
There is a chance I can get work with a friend, I want to work.
He has a business but I'm unsure how I go about telling the DWP and how it will affect my housing benefit and council tax e.t.c.
I live alone and have dependents but they live with their mother.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks David


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    You can do what's called permitted work when claiming ESA BUT you need to work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £140 per week after deductions. If you work 16 hours and more then you won't be entitled to any ESA and it will stop.

    You need to speak to DWP and ask them to send you a PW1 form to fill in and return. Do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be re-assessed early and the decision coulc go against you when it's made.

    Permitted work shouldn't affect any housing benefit but you will need to report the changes to your local council so at least they know.

    Alternatively if you're going to work more than 16 hours then it maybe worth you claiming Universal Credit before you start working and your ESA support group award will be honoured in UC and you'll be placed into the LCWRA group. Although before you do this you'll need to get a full benefits check by either using a benefits calculator or speaking to an advice agency near you.

    Hope this helps.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,020

    Scope community team

    Hello and welcome to the community @isaac887904 :) I hope that the above advice has been helpful!

    Please feel free to ask any further questions you might have, and stick around to join in with our other recent discussions
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • isaac887904isaac887904 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Many thanks to you both you've been very helpful
Sign in or join us to comment.