I wish I’d known... - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I wish I’d known...

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's true @leeCal, I like people watching too! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • switchdas
    switchdas Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I would tell my younger self to end his life before turning 16
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Hi @switchdas! It sounds like things are pretty tough at the moment. I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, and we'd really appreciate it if you could take a look and reply whenever you can. We'd love to try and help :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    edited December 2020
    I wish I had known at 18 that applying for, getting and doing my dream job back then would have ended up with me getting injured to the point I have trouble walking and using my left side.  If I had I would have done something else. I also wish I had known how the housing market was going to go down hill..Having started a nest egg for my children by buying a house in 2005 I have lost so much money over houses wrecked by non paying tenants (and then getting broken into and stripped of all copper) I actually cry when I look at the figure. Selling them all will leave me with about £20,000 - not really what I had in mind! It was once worth millions but the Government protecting scroats who can say stuff the rent and not get touched for 24-36 months has seen all that come tumbling down. I had 1 house had a leak in the bathroom tap - had the tenant called me it would have been sorted the same day, but it took 7 years to get access to the house (courts are useless) and I had to sell it for peanuts over the 97K I brought it for in 2005 because it was so damp and mould ridden I wouldn't let the rats stay there. She tried to sue me 4 times for damages to her health and failed. it cost me over 40K in court fees just to get my house back! And landlords are meant to be the bad guys!

Still, could be worse, probably. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Commiserations @soconfused, sounds like a nightmare.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• soconfused
    leeCal said:
    Commiserations @soconfused, sounds like a nightmare.
    Thanks I've done an edit since you saw it possibly you might have missed a bit - I just added more of the bad stuff lol :( 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Wow!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• soconfused
    leeCal said:
    Wow!
    Unfortunately every word is true - it was stress that gave me my first stroke in 2012. Which didn't help my already injured frame! 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    @soconfused I agree that landlords are treated appallingly in this country. It’s a shame as they are just trying to be savvy with their money and invest in a pension or nest egg like you say, all while providing someone with a home. I saw a piece on the news about someone who didn’t pay rent so the landlord refused to fix anything wrong with the house and the tenant managed to sue the landlord for not providing a suitable property.

Someone at a support place I went to had a family member who rents out houses in America. I they said if you get non-paying tenants there you go in with a gun and tell them to get out. Much more civilised behaviour than allowing tenants to stay rent free for 2 years and no I’m not being sarcastic.
  • soconfused
    Yes this country's system is so broken its mainly the reason why I gave up.. I wish it was as easy as America! 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    66Mustang said:
    @soconfused I agree that landlords are treated appallingly in this country. It’s a shame as they are just trying to be savvy with their money and invest in a pension or nest egg like you say, all while providing someone with a home. I saw a piece on the news about someone who didn’t pay rent so the landlord refused to fix anything wrong with the house and the tenant managed to sue the landlord for not providing a suitable property.

Someone at a support place I went to had a family member who rents out houses in America. I they said if you get non-paying tenants there you go in with a gun and tell them to get out. Much more civilised behaviour than allowing tenants to stay rent free for 2 years and no I’m not being sarcastic.
    Whoever thought up North America's gun laws is clearly an idiot IMO. forcing tenants out at gunpoint? I'm sorry but what the hell?!

• adamskis
    adamskis Community member Posts: 67 Pioneering
    I would have said, have more tattoos, drink more, travel more!

I have lived an excellent life, done way more than most, and have very few regrets.
    two marriages, a million jobs (not quite, but you know, lots of wearing badges until I hit 30)
    and, best of all, a fantastic son.

I would have told me to get help earlier, mental and physical, but definitely keep doing all of the fun stuff!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    If I'd known I'd got Asperger's before I was about 23 and half, my education would probably been a LOT better, then again maybe not, knowing the dopy sods in the Council I'd have been sent to a "Special" school for the secondary years, it was bad enough they sent me to a mainstream school with a "Unit" but if I'd gone to somewhere like Tapton or Bents Green, who knows? At least Bents Green's more or less this end of Town and not up ruddy Norton!

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Wish I had turned right instead of left  my brother lives in his own housr which he brought  he has a good  job money in the bank a wife two children foesnt struggle for anything  me live in a private rented house which I live no money in the bank  no job now struggle with everything been married and divorced twice  I have children and grandchildren children  and I have lupus  I have a partner that foesnt live with me who has mental health issues  but even with the life I have had  after haveung corona virus  I am just happy to be alive and have a home I have got more than most so I have no reason to complain 
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Two things, One would find a job that you would do for free and you will never do work  again, and don't get trapped into anything just because other people expect it of you, do what is  right for you whatever they think or say  
  • Lisatho11987777
    I like that where you said  doing what other people expect you to do  i used to be like that  but it doesn't work does it because you can never get it right because its not what you want to do now people say I didn't expect that ha ha we have to be our own person I hear some od my friends say I wish I was someone else  but no one knows what that someone is going through I am happy being me even though somethings in my life I dobt like but I have learnt to cope with it my mum has always said to me  life is what you make it and life can be hard work but we do our best 
  • dkb123
    yes too many people ruin their lives because they want to be accepted and fit in with other peoples ideas of what is to them normal 
  • Lisatho11987777
    People ho on about normal but no one i have ever met can define normal  how I see normal is what each person does in their own life that feels comfortable for them we all  have a different normal  some people say normal is haveing a job being married and haveing children but if we were all the same it would be boring  behavior can be put into well thats not normal  but even then people still think it is because its happend since  they were young  such as abuse  drug takeibg ending someone  else's life  these aren't normal things to do there are reasons why people do these things  and I have a belief that some people that do these things xan be helped  but that's the way I am I like to be able to help people and make their lives better but things like how you dress how you look the things you like doing  the way you talk  these are the things that are individual  to  people and are our own normal  so normal is a big word thst covers alot and anyway the life we are all living now isn't normal as people say but it is our new normal for now x
  • dkb123
    I agree it takes a lot of courage to be different

Brightness