Community Advent Calendar Day 3 - Your favourite Christmas song? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community Advent Calendar Day 3 - Your favourite Christmas song?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge

Carrying on with the Christmas countdown, next we have one of the most popular topics. Get your singing voice ready! 

close up image of a white Christmas bauble on a Christmas tree

What is your favourite Christmas song?

It's a simple question, with so many possible answers. Is it possible to pick just one? I'm not sure, there are so many that I love and I'm certain you'll be the same.

If I had to pick a favourite, right now I would say Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid, any of the versions. But I also love:
  • Merry Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon and Yoko Ono
  • Fairytale of New York by The Pogues
  • Underneath the Tree by Kelly Clarkson
What about you? What's your favourite Christmas song that will have you dancing round the tree this festive season?

Link to the first post in this series
Link to the second post in this series
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t know the name of the song but it has the lyrics “you scumbag you maggot you something f****t in it”. That’s not why I like it, that’s just all I can remember from it :D
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    I don’t know the name of the song but it has the lyrics “you scumbag you maggot you something f****t in it”. That’s not why I like it, that’s just all I can remember from it :D
    Probably the reason why it's banned by the BBC  :open_mouth:
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    I like silent night (the more silent the better) also the holly and the ivy (ouch..OUCH!)
    and Once in Royal David’s city ?.

incidentally my wife considers Fairytale of New York to be ‘our’ song! Seriously ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    What makes her consider that one in particular to be your song @leeCal? :) 

I bet you both do a lovely duet

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Ahh seems like my favourite is a favourite of many people :smiley: at least I can find it on YouTube now, thanks  :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope it’s the way the woman is swearing at the man and he’s swearing back, that general tone! She’s only half joking ? tbh

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    My other half's favourite is Elton John - Step into Christmas which is he is currently playing to death on Alexa  :s

Mine is Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas or, like you @Ross_Scope , Merry Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon and Yoko Ono  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Ross_Alumni
    I notice how you didn't comment on the bit about doing a lovely duet @leeCal :D  Yeah I can see why that would be a funny joke to make with that song haha, I'm not keen on some of the language used in it, but ignoring the lyrics and just focussing on the melody is where I get my enjoyment from that one.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited December 2020
    66Mustang said:
    It's Fairytale of New York, by the Pogues and the late Kirsty McColl.

It's a classic but like I said last week, because of the slightly offensive second verse the BBC banned it years ago.

Honourable mentions go to all of the following... Merry Christmas Everyone by Shakin' Stevens, Mistletoe and Wine by Cliff Richard, Hey Mr Christmas by Showaddywaddy and Lonely this Christmas by Mud, and also Millennium Prayer by Cliff Richard.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite is 

One more sleep - leona lewis we countdown the number of sleeps we have a door hanger with a countdown wheel on 

• romla
    romla Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited December 2020
    @janer1967 One more sleep is a great song that I often forget about! Thank you for posting and reminding me about it  :o

I'd say mine is All i want for christmas by Mariah Carey - it amazes me how well I know the words of christmas songs when each december comes around
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @romla tes I agree All I want for Christmas would be my second choice with last Christmas a close 3rd 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    I'm not generally a fan of Christmas songs but I do like Mariah (the first few times it's played in the season!), Wham! - Last Christmas, and Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt.  Not sure I should admit to any of those!  :#

Ruth Jones upset a lot of people last year using the Fairytale of New York in the Gavin & Stacey special....and using that specific line.  Prime time BBC One as well.  It doesn't bother me, but I did read a few posts from people I know that were offended and did understand a bit better why they felt so strongly about it.  There is going to be another xmas special this year...I don't think they'll be making the same mistake again this time.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I'm not generally a fan of Christmas songs but I do like Mariah (the first few times it's played in the season!), Wham! - Last Christmas, and Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt.  Not sure I should admit to any of those!  :#

Ruth Jones upset a lot of people last year using the Fairytale of New York in the Gavin & Stacey special....and using that specific line.  Prime time BBC One as well.  It doesn't bother me, but I did read a few posts from people I know that were offended and did understand a bit better why they felt so strongly about it.  There is going to be another xmas special this year...I don't think they'll be making the same mistake again this time.

I still think the BBC banning Fairytale for ONE LINE that was only very slightly "offensive" is PC gone mad, just to appease leftie Guardian readers who get all upset about everything.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I like hete it is merry Xmas  and rocking around the Xmas tree  and last Xmas I live them all ha ha I xant pick 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Good choices @lisathomas50, will you be throwing those songs on a lot this Xmas?

Brightness