How are you coping with the news? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How are you coping with the news?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
I think we can all agree that there is a lot going on in the outside world at the minute. 

The news on Saturday that Christmas restrictions were to be tightened because of the new variant of covid-19 came as a real blow for people suddenly plunged into tier 4.  While constant updates about countries banning arrivals from the UK and the Brexit transition means we are experiencing a year like no other.  (I won't say unprecedented). 

This all got me wondering, how are you coping?  Are you managing to stay relaxed?  What impact, if any, is this having on you?

I think this is a time when our community members might need each other that little bit more so please let us know if you are struggling because we want to help <3
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not struggling but upset with the christmas restrictions and may be a bit controversial but I wont be complying totally 

We had agreed to meet as a family just 3 households as allowed on xmas eve and then all spend xmas day just in our own separate households 

We are still going to do this it may be wrong but we will only be together for 1 evening a few hours but just not on the day they say we can 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @janer1967 Thank you for sharing this and I'm pleased to hear you aren't struggling.  If you ever do begin to, please give us a shout.  

For those who want a refresher of the updated Christmas rules, visit this government webpage

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I think Johnson's a Clown who needs to shut up, people WILL defy the rules this weekend, surely the government knows this?

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    It’s all doom and gloom isn’t it?

Even when there is something positive to report they have to find something negative about it and focus in on that.

I wonder how morale would have fared if we had the current news organisations we have now during WW2. They would constantly be reporting on things like the strength and innovation of the enemy and how well they were doing compared to us!

I cope with it all by not reading or watching the news unless there is something I am specifically looking for. I figure that if something is important enough, I will hear about it without looking for it. It works well and I just get the basic info I need rather than reading lots into something and worrying myself about it. 

I also tend to be mindful of the sources I use for my information. I tend to go as direct as I can for my information rather than relying on the news outlets to pass it on neutrally.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @66Mustang That's a healthy approach to it.  I think it's easy for our news intake to creep up via exposure to social media and 24/7 news outlets.  Being able to recognise when it's having a detrimental impact on our emotional wellbeing is crucial. 

I'm a big advocate of going outside for walks (or wheels) just to clear our heads.  Infact I spotted that was one of the tips in today's Guardian article about 'coping with the covid Christmas blues'. 

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,810 Disability Gamechanger
    its really a downer on the news, i watch bbc news a lot, and the doom and gloom is a bit much, we were going away to wales for the Christmas period, that's now been cancelled, never mind, theres people really suffering, thankfully we will be ok, i hope everyone has a great christmas, wishing you all the best from my home to yours
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope I also think it’s really healthy to go out for a walk/wheel. I am lucky to be able to walk the dog about 3 miles a day and it is my time to not think about much and relax and talk to the person I am walking with (as I do always have to go with somebody else). Aside from going for a drive I think it’s the highlight of my day.

@Grinchy that’s a great attitude - there is always someone worse off than yourself. I like that and am trying to consider it over Christmas as I am really lucky in that my family all live together anyway so our plans aren’t disrupted but I’m aware scores of peoples’ are.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Grinchy Agh, I'm sorry your Wales plans have been cancelled.  I hope you are still able to have a special time at home and I wish you the bestest of Christmasses  :)

@66Mustang I'm with you there.  A good drive singing along to some very loud music does wonders!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    It won't really change our Christmas, I am concerned that its likely the whole of England will be in tier 4 next week, my thoughts go out to the NHS staff who are facing a double whammy of being extra busy as ever at this time of year plus now almost 20,000 covid patients to look after. N.i. has the right idea their people will be limited to one day of relaxed restricitions but they can choose any day from 23-27th to cater for those working on xmas day.

Somebody ^ said that Johnsons a clown who needs to shut up, that's not very constructive is it? Personally I think the govt. are doing the best they can in terrible circumstances.

As for coping with the news i'm ok, we are doing everything we can to stay safe and to make sure those around us are staying safe, at a time like this we all need to pull together and look out for one another x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,810 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang, cheers, hope you have a decent christmas
    @Cher_Scope, no worries, we have each other, glad of that, cheers!
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Im not doing so good I have been hearing voices most of the day had to have my head phones in to drown out the noise . I’m in tier 3 but my family are in tier 4 watching the news makes me so uneasy to what’s going on in this world it feels like one episode of pychosis part from its real all this is happening , 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake88 there is one very positive in all of this we now have a vaccine, 500,000 people have already had the first shot and there is light at the end of the tunnel, if the news is making you uneasy then do what my wife does and don't watch it, she relies on me for the edited highlights as she worries about it all.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    I rarely watch the news, but do check the government's website, & have looked at the links given above.
    Our plans for Christmas have changed again. As my daughter-in-law is working Christmas Day, they were going to come around to have their Christmas dinner with me on Boxing Day. This has now reverted back to they'll get a 'takeaway' dinner from me instead, after talking to my son tonight. They are in my 'bubble.'
    I'm in part disappointed, but I know my son is only trying to look after me, so I'm very fortunate. We should all try to keep our loved ones safe, which will help others too. The restrictions are there for a purpose, to stop even more lives being lost.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    To be honest the rules don't really affect me. I'm in a bubble with my daughter and grandson and have been for quite a few months now. I don't see anyone else and have no friends where i live. They will still be at mine for Christmas dinner and again on boxing day for an evening buffet.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    cupcake88 said:
    Im not doing so good I have been hearing voices most of the day had to have my head phones in to drown out the noise . I’m in tier 3 but my family are in tier 4 watching the news makes me so uneasy to what’s going on in this world it feels like one episode of pychosis part from its real all this is happening , 
    I hope you're feeling better today @cupcake88.
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    The news about Christmas changes won't affect me.  But the news about the new more easily transmittable strain & the introduction of a Tier 4 hasn't gone down well.   I'm dreading January, won't be able to cope with another 'proper' lockdown if we end up in Tier 4.  I do feel for anyone that was suddenly plunged into it without warning on Sunday.

As with others on here, I rarely watch the news any more.  I hear the headlines on the radio and just watch the briefings when we're expecting something big.
  • Cher_Alumni
    cupcake88 said:
    Hi @cupcake88

How are you doing today?  Do you feel you are getting enough support with your mental health at the moment?  If this is something you'd prefer to discuss privately then please email us at community@scope.org.uk  Otherwise, be sure to let us know if you ever need help.  I hope you are having a better day. 

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    edited December 2020
    Hi @Cher_Scope,
                                  I am coping thank you. I hope everyone here on the community is ok and receiving the support they need. My heart goes out to all the people who now will be on their own at Christmas but hope that they have access to technology to help ensure they are able to stay connected to people. I also feel for our wonderful NHS staff who have already been through so much and are going to be facing a very difficult winter. My thoughts and condolences go out to all the thousands of families who have lost loved ones this year. It makes me sad that, though the majority of people are being respectful of the rules, there are a minority who are not. I just don't understand how some people can just carry on doing whatever they want whilst there is so much suffering happening. As @woodbine said, there is a vaccine on the way and there is light at the end of the tunnel, we just need to support one another and look out for each other in the week's and months that lay ahead. My Christmas wish is that those who have or are experiencing difficult times are able to receive the support they need. Thank you. 

• Cher_Alumni
    @WestHam06 Thank you for that kind, thoughtful message  <3   There are glimmers of hope and its important to remember that this tough time will pass and is only temporary.   

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Thank you @Cher_Scope, much appreciated. I hope that you too are coping as with all the wonderful staff at Scope. You all do an amazing job and I personally would like to thank you for all that you do. Thank you.

Brightness