New Year, new learning? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Year, new learning?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
Does anyone plan to try and learn something new in 2021?

I do, I'd like to see if I can relearn French, I did it at school over 30 years ago but apart from little bits I've forgot most of it. I'd also like to learn Japanese, I can say hello (Konichi-Wa) and goodbye (Sayonara) but I'd like to learn conversational Japanese if possible.

In a more technical way I want to learn how to make games in Unity, either by self teaching or formal education at College.

Learning to drive would be nice but I think that particular Ship sailed away almost 25 years ago.

So how about you guys?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I would like to get back on track with my economics A level. I have not been feeling too good for the last few months and have not been doing very much study but I want to try and push myself into restarting as I was doing quite well with it before.

I’d always back anyone thinking of learning to drive, is there anything in particular stopping you from learning?

• [Deleted User]
    66Mustang said:
    I would like to get back on track with my economics A level. I have not been feeling too good for the last few months and have not been doing very much study but I want to try and push myself into restarting as I was doing quite well with it before.

I’d always back anyone thinking of learning to drive, is there anything in particular stopping you from learning?

Well when I was 20 I had lessons in a manual car from the same bloke who taught my Brother, after a few months of lessons he gave up on me and said I'd never pass a test.

In 2003, at the age of 27 I applied again for a provisional license with a view to trying lessons in an Automatic but was turned down due to my disabilities, and Asperger's (Exsqueeze me? Other Aspies drive?!) and they also said because back then I had anger management issues I'd be a candidate for "Road Rage" (Pardon?!)

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you have a disability that makes it difficult to drive a manual? To be honest it sounds like the teacher was just being a bit old fashioned and negative. I would give it another try with a different teacher if you feel up to it.

That said if you do only get an automatic license that's not the end of the world these days as automatics are basically better than manuals in every way and with the move to electric cars manuals will soon be phased out completely.

I have Asperger's and I drive. Apparently people with autism make better drivers however I'm not totally sure about that!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds like you'll both be busy in 2021 @66Mustang @MrAllen1976!

I've got a couple of things I'd like to learn, but have the tendency to put myself off so I'm not putting any pressure on myself to do them :D 
    • a craft: I've been saying I'll do this for probably 6 months, and am yet to even try! Chloe recommended felting to me, so perhaps I'll get around to trying that
    • BSL: I'd love to learn a bit of British Sign Language, and there seem to be plenty of resources online so there's no excuse really
    • MOOC: I used to do free online courses called Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) sometimes, but haven't since I've started working. I'd like to pick it back up so that I'm doing something a little more productive with my free time. I don't have a specific topic in mind, however
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
    I need to redo some parts of a course I completed last week by the end of next Monday.

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    This is a great thread @MrAllen1976, thank you for starting it. Next year, the plan is to start and complete my Level 1 FA Coaching badge for football, which I am really looking forward too :) There are many things I would like to learn including, like @Tori_Scope, British Sign Language. I wish everyone the best of luck with whatever they choose to learn if they do so, for me that's part of life, the fact that we are always learning. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2020
    I applied for a game design course at Sheffield College last week.

It's a 2 year course but if it's full time I can't do it, the carers won't support me.

Also yesterday I applied for a job as a customer advisor at local ISP Plusnet, although I had to declare my disability and Asperger's and you know what usually happens there.

• Tori_Scope
    Good luck @MrAllen1976! Have you asked the college whether it's full-time? If it is, whether there's the option for it to be part-time instead? 

• Tori_Scope
    Very best of luck with the FA coaching badge @WestHam06

• [Deleted User]
    Good luck @MrAllen1976! Have you asked the college whether it's full-time? If it is, whether there's the option for it to be part-time instead? 
    I'll give them a call or an email in the New Year when the Colleges go back to discuss it.

There's also the problem of funding for people on benefits, I tried to get on a GCSE Maths course last year and they said it wasn't funded so it'd cost me 300 quid.

• Tori_Scope
    Good idea @MrAllen1976.

It'd be worth asking about that too then, I think. They might have a grant or fund for adult learners to help with the costs.

• [Deleted User]
    I just applied for a level 2 course in game design at Hillsborough College, they had a level 1 course up at Peaks College, which to be fair would've been easier to get to than Hillsborough as it's got a Tram stop, it would take me about an hour to get there though.

I just don't think my academic credentials match the entry requirements, but maybe they'll let me in as a "mature student".

• [Deleted User]
    Well I took the plunge and applied for the level 1 games design course up at Peaks College, I'm more likely to get that as the entry requirements aren't as high.

I'll cross the transport problem if and when I need to.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Having finished my last 2 diplomas I will be looking to start something new just not sure what I want to do next 

May do a higher level of criminology or something new 
  • [Deleted User]
    Well I kind of made a start on one thing last weekend, I used this month's credit on Audible to download an Audiobook on Japanese language, I'll play it on my Alexa device this week.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I have completed my law degree this year on open University  I am looking for a job and I would like to learn sign language 
  • SouthernBelle
    SouthernBelle Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Im going to learn to weave, i have my loom it was a Christmas present, i also want to learn to crochet. My dream is one day i will have a few animals. spin their and dye their coats into yarn and then weave or crochet it .    
  • Lisatho11987777
    Fantastic  I wish I could do that but my hands wouldn't cope with it good luck I am sure you will be amazing ❤ 
  • SouthernBelle
    SouthernBelle Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Fantastic  I wish I could do that but my hands wouldn't cope with it good luck I am sure you will be amazing ❤ 
    Thanks i do hope so, my problem will be my leg and warping it up. Is there any craft your hands let you do that you currently do or could try?   
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have tried knitting and needle craft but I gave up I have plenty to do though I admire people  who can do the sort of thing  you do so well done 

Brightness