How are you coping with the news? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How are you coping with the news?

2»

Comments

• Welli
    Welli Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I don't come on here much but none of the 'bubble' plans work for me a I'm on my lonesome and it seems that we don't really fit in with the government guidelines.  I have been at home since March and whilst I do take my car for a spin, I don't get out of the car.  Together with all that, my Mother passed away and I had to watch her funeral last Friday on the computer after having sent the eulogy by tape to the funeral directors.  I don't think those who are creating the regulations think about those who live on their own and are able to put themselves into bubbles when they are new to the area.  Not easy but I am coping :).

Hope you all have a good Christmas no matter how you are managing to celebrate but for me I will be with me, myself and I :).
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Welli I'm sorry to hear about your loss and you have my sympathy I'm sorry you weren't able to attend the funeral, Its going to be an unusual Christmas for many this year, but being on your own can't be easy. If you want a chat and a bit of company I know that some of us will be popping in and out of here over the holiday period so feel free to pull up a seat and join in.
    Wishing you all the best, and hoping that next year will be better for all of us.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone! I hope you're all managing okay. I just wanted to share with you Scope's reaction to the tier 4 announcements:
    Despite the fact two thirds of all those who’ve died were disabled people there was no mention by the Prime Minister of what support and protections will be available for disabled people living in Tier 4.

Asked why people who are shielding are still being made to go into their workplaces in Tier 3 areas, the Prime Minister and Chief Medical Officer’s vague and inadequate response is indicative of the government forgetting the needs of disabled people throughout this pandemic.

This response reinforces disabled people’s sense of being abandoned by government and that their lives are seen as expendable.

Furlough remains down to employer discretion, which means some disabled people at higher risk of the virus are having to choose between their life and livelihood.

Many disabled people are also worried about how they will access food and essentials over the Christmas period. Supermarket delivery slots are now scarce and disabled shoppers are facing the risk of visiting stores at a time when the R rate is rising rapidly.

There must be urgent action to address this. Disabled people have been among the hardest hit all year, with many spending months shielding away from loved ones.

As we face the emergence of this new strain, the government must put in place a clear plan for how it will protect and support disabled people, to prevent thousands more avoidable deaths.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited December 2020
    @Tori_Scope it's a well known fact the current government hates the disabled, look at all the needless deaths when the ATOS Clowns, sponsored by the Conservatives, declare people who clearly aren't, fit to work and these people then get their benefits cut and go on to top themselves because they can no longer cope?!

Yup, the Tories have innocent blood on their hands IMHO.

What gets me as well, is that 5 years ago they declared me unfit to work, even though I've spent the last 20 odd years doing College placements and voluntary jobs so is it not possible I could work in SOME capacity even though I refuse on principle to be placed in some 2 quid a day non job specifically for disabled clients?!

• woodbine
    There are no 2 quid a day jobs ! i don't think the "current" tory govt has done anything positive or negative for disabled people, although I would agree that the 2010-2019 govts didn't cover themselves in glory.
    It's true that ATOS and their friends have made some poor decisions BUT they have also made far more good ones than bad.
     @MrAllen1976 if you think you could work have you tried doing so?

• [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:
    There are no 2 quid a day jobs ! i don't think the "current" tory govt has done anything positive or negative for disabled people, although I would agree that the 2010-2019 govts didn't cover themselves in glory.
    It's true that ATOS and their friends have made some poor decisions BUT they have also made far more good ones than bad.
    I haven't worked since around the beginning of March, I had a job at Aspire Sheffield as an eBay assistant and PC builder, but because I'm not good with my hands I can't build PCs and there was a significant lack of demand for eBay services so they let me go.

I've applied for several jobs in between but as soon as I declare my disability, especially the Asperger's, I get rejected! I wouldn't mind but it's supposed to be illegal that!

• woodbine
    woodbine said:
    I haven't worked since around the beginning of March, I had a job at Aspire Sheffield as an eBay assistant and PC builder, but because I'm not good with my hands I can't build PCs and there was a significant lack of demand for eBay services so they let me go.

I've applied for several jobs in between but as soon as I declare my disability, especially the Asperger's, I get rejected! I wouldn't mind but it's supposed to be illegal that!

so not 2 quid jobs then?

• [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:
    woodbine said:

so not 2 quid jobs then?
    In 2008 I did 3 days at a job Mum got me at Reclaim, a local recycling place, the job was supposed to be specifically for the disabled but can someone kindly explain to me how in God's name working in a messy, noisy, stood up all day recycling Plant is suitable for a guy like me with back problems?!

On the 3rd day, the Manager presented me with a "pay packet" containing 6 quid, for 3 full 8 hour days of work, the equivalent of 25p an hour, and it took all my strength not to throw it back and not go on a long rant about the inequality of doing THAT for 2 quid a day for 3 days, I did resign though and told him I didn't wanna do it any more as I physically couldn't do it.

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @Cher_Scope hi cheer my health is up and down thanks for asking for Xmas I got some Lego and some arts and crafts which has helped me to distract my self With my illness . My medication was upped recently . 

Thanks so much for checking I’m ok very kind of you x

• cupcake88
    I find soon as you say you suffer with pychosis that’s it you haven’t got the job that’s what I found till recently I was offered a cleaning job by some one who knew I had mental illnesses and they were really understanding I just wasn’t ready to be working so there are some nice understanding people out there so don’t quit job hunting I would always be honest in a interview regarding my disability . 
  • [Deleted User]
    cupcake88 said:
    I find soon as you say you suffer with pychosis that’s it you haven’t got the job that’s what I found till recently I was offered a cleaning job by some one who knew I had mental illnesses and they were really understanding I just wasn’t ready to be working so there are some nice understanding people out there so don’t quit job hunting I would always be honest in a interview regarding my disability . 
    Back in September this year I applied and got an interview for a job at the Co Op in Shiregreen, a pain to get to but I'd have crossed that Bridge if need be.

Apparently the only reason I got an interview was because the Co Op do a guaranteed interview for disabled applicants, this was my second Co Op interview as I had one last July at the one in Crookes for the new one on Oldfield Road, would've been great as Mum and Dad are always in there buying stuff as it's their local one, only reason I didn't get the job was because I'm on enhanced rate PIP so I can't work more than 16 hours, or so I thought, it was a 16 hour contract with scope for regular overtime, I lost the job because I had to declare that I couldn't do the overtime without severe benefit sanctions!

And the government wonders why there's guys out there working 50-60 hours a week and not declaring it? Jesus wept.

• cupcake88
    @MrAllen1976 are you only on pip ? Because you can work any hours on pip think it’s ESA where you can only do 16 hours . Would you not try applying at the coop again ? I wish I could work 50/60 hours couldn’t even work 5 minutes with my anxiety and lack of concentration. I hope to be able to try work again in the summer but I can only work like a few hours a week I couldn’t ever see me holding down a regular job . 

I was hoping that after my therapy is complete I can learn to cope with my illness better . 
  • [Deleted User]
    cupcake88 said:
    @MrAllen1976 are you only on pip ? Because you can work any hours on pip think it’s ESA where you can only do 16 hours . Would you not try applying at the coop again ? I wish I could work 50/60 hours couldn’t even work 5 minutes with my anxiety and lack of concentration. I hope to be able to try work again in the summer but I can only work like a few hours a week I couldn’t ever see me holding down a regular job . 

I was hoping that after my therapy is complete I can learn to cope with my illness better . 
    I know that now, but back when I had the first interview up at Crookes Co Op last July I didn't and had to declare it, which cost me the job.

• cupcake88
    oh that’s a shame just because you couldn’t do over time . 
  • [Deleted User]
    cupcake88 said:
    oh that’s a shame just because you couldn’t do over time . 
    I can apply to the Co Op again around March next year.

Brightness