Super-Smooth Riding New Cars - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Super-Smooth Riding New Cars

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s good about the pay at pump :)

I hope you get a suitable car soon.

Is there a reason you aren’t looking at small SUVs? They are often not much more money than the hatchbacks they are often based on.

I’ve heard the Vauxhall Mokka is a decent small SUV to drive, at least compared to other small SUVs. Also, it looks like it is jacked up quite high so should ride smoothly?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:

Is there a reason you aren’t looking at small SUVs? They are often not much more money than the hatchbacks they are often based on.
    Partly because I don't have any children, let alone grandchildren...  :D

I just don't have any need for a car that size.  I'd rather have something that's easier to drive through single track lanes and park at the supermarket than something that's unnecessarily large.  They also don't always ride smoothly either, you'll often get a lot more bounce and body roll which I can't deal with either.  It's a fine balance to get something that just takes out bumps rather than crashing into them or bouncing several times after each one.  I did consider the Focus Active earlier in the thread but it's a bigger car with the same engine (so worse power to weight, slower, less MPG), less spec, and I can't stand the horrible unpainted plastic trim around the wheel arches.  I probably will have to go for an SUV eventually, but hopefully not this time lol.
  • 66Mustang
    Haha yeah that makes sense

Not to be repetitive I would have thought the MX5 fits what you want r.e. suspension etc. as it has soft springs but isn’t heavy so it wouldn’t bounce up and down after every bump. You do get body roll when cornering fast but I’m guessing with your issues you don’t do that anyway

Plus if PistonHeads is anything to go by, which it isn’t, the MX5 is the answer to all questions about cars :D

In all seriousness though you know your issues better than anyone, good luck finding something, I hope you get something decent soon :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    Slight update...  Bought a Focus, errors were made at the dealership and it was delivered too early, before one fault that I was aware of was rectified, without being cleaned (ideal during Covid!) and also on a day that I said I wasn't available.  Due to circumstances (I was literally about to go out and it was torrential rain) I just accepted and was offered a small refund.

Today I've had the chance to look around the car and have found some other issues as well, not what I expected for it being 2 years old/less than 10k miles.  The ride seems ok though (at least round my estate, considerably better than the Leon) so I've got to see if I can either get a larger refund or just return this car as well, they may not be able to cover the cost of the faults within their profit margin though, I estimate around £500 worth, plus they'd have to pay for collection and delivery as I can't leave a car anywhere with my issues or take it more than a few miles if they insist on work done at their own dealership.

Anyway, I just want to double check that there's absolutely no way of being eligible for Motability without Enhanced Mobility on PIP?  No chance of a 'case by case' basis considering the issues I have?  

(PS - I also lost that house...then found an ideal one just half a mile away.  Tried to apply immediately but was told I couldn't apply without viewing, and couldn't view until 5 days later.  I was really unwell during those but forced myself to the viewing...only to be told that they'd already had lots of applications!  I guessed at that point that I wouldn't get it.  Still put my application in but as expected, was let to someone else.)
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    @OverlyAnxious no I don’t think so. I did some serious research into this when I was on the lower rate for mobility - I was willing to fund the shortfall myself - but they said no the money can’t come from me it has to come directly from the mobility component of PIP.

It’s a real pain I agree, I really think they need to review the criteria for mental health as to be honest about it you seem just as affected by your issues as I do by mine, if not more, but just because of a small detail (I can’t go out alone and you can) you don’t qualify. Physically disabled people can get Motability when they can go out alone so why not psychologically disabled.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately there's no chance of you exchanging your mobility award for a vehicle because you need Enhanced mobility for this and they don't consider anyone case by case.

@66Mustang The mobility award for following and planning a journey and moving around are 2 completely different things, they have totally different criteria. A person that is unable to walk a distance but can go out alone is completely different to someone with mental health that is unable to follow and plan the route of a journey. You can't reeally compare either of them against each other.

For example. I claim Enhanced mobility because i'm unable to walk just a few steps without pain and discomfort. I would be able to plan any journey and go out alone.  My daughter claims Enhanced mobility because she doesn't have the capacity to follow the route of a journey, even to the local shop, which for us is just around the corner. Although she would be able to walk or even run that distance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    My point is that it's possible to have difficulty planning and following a journey, as OverlyAnxious does due to his issues, and whether you are alone makes no difference - he would have his stomach problems etc. regardless of if he had someone with him for support

But I take your point that moving around and planning a journey are two different things

It is what it is I guess
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:

It is what it is I guess
    That's my life motto!   :D

Thanks for the clarification @poppy123456.  I thought that would be the answer.  :(  It's frustrating having all this money as backpay but not being able to use it on a brand new car.  I could just about afford a brand new Ibiza or i10 but obviously they're too small and rough riding.

Regarding the different Mobility sections.  It is annoying that the mental side specifically relates to planning and following a journey - I can use Google Maps and know my way around locally at least.  And that the physical side only relates specifically to walking a short distance.  Ironically I'm getting much closer to 1e than I was when I took the assessment (unable to undertake any journey due to OPD) but of course if receive enhanced mobility due to that it would be then too late!  :s
  • poppy123456
    1E will not get you Enhanced mobility because this would be 10 points, which would be standard rate and you need 12 points for Enhanced award.

The car you've just had delivered, wouldn't it better to ask the dealer to put right what's wrong with the car? As it's only 2 years old, surely it can't be a huge amount of work. There's always going to be some risk when buying a used car, even when it's just a couple of years old.

Have you thought about a loan for a car? or maybe finance, like a lease? I don't really know a lot about leasing a car this way to be honest because before i had my first mobility car i used to have a very old car, more than 10 years old.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • OverlyAnxious
    I have offered them to fix all 6 faults, will cost them around £700 though and they'll have to collect and deliver so I suspect they'll decide to make a return and full refubd.  Then only repair the dangerous fault hoping for another buyer that's less fussy about visuals!

Trouble is, I need to be able to rely on a car 100% in order to get anywhere.  So far I have never had this only being able afford older cars (6-20 years old).  I also need a car that is totally free from contamination due to the OCD which again I can't get with a used car.

The fact so much has already gone wrong with this one means that I don't trust there to be no faults with the engine etc now and I can't risk breakdowns.  I also found a lot of not only dog hair but also dog poo under one of the seats so the car feels very contaminated despite over an hour with anti bac sprays and wipes yesterday.

Tbh I'd prefer a return now I've had the chance to think about it.  I won't be any better off in it than my current 8 year old car, which is better condition at 110k miles!

I would consider lease but I don't know what type is the same as Motability?  So you put a deposit down and just pay monthly until you return the car a year or two later.  The only schemes I can find are ones to fully buy the car with a large payment at the end which I wouldn't have.
  • poppy123456
    There's a PCP option which you pay the monthly payments for X amount of years and then at the end you have a choice to either return the car or pay the remaining balance and then the car becomes yours. Or return the car and choose another lease with more monthly payments. Or hand the car back and walk away. Full details here.  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/personal-contract-purchase/

Or you could just keep the car you have. What's the reason for wanting a different car? Does your current car have some issues? Expensive to continue to keep it on the road maybe? Or do you just want to change it because you feel like a change of car is needed? Only you can answer this question of course but you may never find the right car for you, when choosing used cars because there's likely always going to be something that's not quite right for you, especially with your contamination OCD.

• OverlyAnxious
    edited December 2020
    Thanks @poppy123456 It looks like PCP would be the only option, BUT they're a minimum of 2 years and I only have around 14 months of my PIP award left so could lose half my income again in Feb 2022.  I can't find anything (other than Motability) that allows a lease of 12 months.  I'm not going to buy another used car though (after 50 of them!), only worth changing this time if I can get brand new.

Few reasons for changing my car.  First is that I never have trusted it, it was already high mileage and previously written off when I bought it.  I bought it in a rush after my previous car let me down and I needed something cheap, smooth and quickly.  That has had a major impact on my agoraphobia though.  There is also still a lot of previous owner contamination in it, and many areas that I can't touch or place any items.  Plus it's diesel and having constant DPF regens, roughly one every week which isn't good for the engine, the DPF or the battery because the fans stay on for ages after switching off.  I only do town and (slow) backroads now, and only did 3000 miles this year, so need a petrol engine before this one gets completely ruined.  It'll actually be cheaper to run than any modern petrol that I could buy ironically, with £30 tax and approx 50mpg.  But with the PIP I can afford a bit more on fuel and tax in the hope of better reliability.

The other issue I have is that I don't know how else to use around £10k of backpay before the grace period ends.  I don't mean that in an ungrateful way but I really can't face the hassle of having to apply for UC if I lose the ESA & HB due to the savings limit.  Without being able to move, I haven't been able to use any on furniture etc either.  I really hope I'll have moved by then (April I think it was?) but after the last 6 months searching I'm struggling to remain optimistic now.
  • poppy123456
    Once the grace period ends for your backdated money, only savings of more than £16,000 would end all means tested benefits. If you have less than this then it's a reduction of £1 for every £250 over £6,000.

Although council tax reduction maybe different because some local councils will only allow a maximum of £6,000 savings, it depends on each individual council because they have their own rules.

With the PCP option of course they will do a credit check on you. Motability lease isn't a minimum of 12 months, it's a minimum 3 year lease but you must have at least 12 month remaining on a PIP award. Although of course with motability if a PIP award ends then you just return the car and then there's no further payments.

With the house move you are getting extremely close to the SDP rules changing, which is in a few weeks. So any move after this and you'll need to claim UC for help with any rent, if you move to a different local council.

I don't know what else to suggest really. I hope you find a solution soon!
  • OverlyAnxious
    Yes, sorry, I didn't explain the backpay amount clearly.  I am still a few thousand above the £16k limit (it's also been backing up on top of the backpay as I haven't moved so not been paying the expected extra rent!), so although I don't need to spend the whole £10k, I would need to spend a few thousand which I'd rather put towards a car than just waste on something that won't make any difference to my issues.  The daft thing is I could barely afford food and fuel this time last year, and now have more money than I know what to do with! 

Credit check is fine, I have an excellent credit score...but whether they'll accept benefits I don't know.  Yes that's what I meant regarding the 12m of Motability, just poorly worded again lol.

Yeah, the SDP rule change has been playing on my mind for weeks now.  I was totally gutted to lose the house I found a couple of weeks ago, it was around 90% suitable, only half a mile away, fully refurbished and available immediately, couldn't believe my luck!!  To lose it has been a massive blow as I don't think I'll find anything else before the 17th(?) now.  My issues have got worse over the last weeks (possibly exacerbated by the anxiety around cars and houses lol) so it's looking like I'd have to remain in the same area now anyway.  Assuming I move after the SDP change BUT remain in my local area under the same council, is it still as simple as just switching the HB and CTR on the council website or does that change?
  • poppy123456
    Ah ok. Sounds like a difficult situation. I know for the PCP they do ask about earnings etc but i don't know if you'd fail because you're unemployed. I've never personally had a PCP myself. I only know through my daughter who has got her car this way and her earnings were taken into consideration for that.

Yes, if you remain with the same local council you can continue to claim housing benefit.
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    I’m not sure if you’d get PCP on a car as I have also got an “excellent” credit score and was denied a £25 a month phone contract (that I had the money to pay for in one go if I wanted to but they know best!) so I dread to think what they would say about a car :(

There is a special kind of PCP, called advance purchase or something, where you pay the whole lease up front. For example if it’s £200 a month you just give them £7200 and the car is yours for 3 years, maybe that would be an option if you can’t get credit clearance for a PCP? I know Lotus do it (not very helpful to someone that needs a super smooth car lol) and Ford used to do it on their new cars.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Yeah I'm not sure about getting PCP either.  I have had a couple of quotes for doing it but not mentioned my income yet...

I've been looking at Fords but haven't seen that option.  Only Ford acquire (buying the whole car monthly), Ford options (PCP/renting for 3 years) or leasing.  Leasing won't work for me as you can only make a small deposit and large monthly payments. Acquire won't work as I can't afford to buy the whole thing.  So the only thing left is PCP.

We're now in Tier 4 though, so that means no test driving at all.  Though I don't see how I'd be able to test drive anyway.  Even getting to the dealer (about 5 miles away) is a huge challenge on it's own now.  I tried it yesterday and did manage to get there, had a quick drive around the forecourt but couldn't get out of the car and certainly wouldn't have been able to deal with a person face to face.  Feel like this might be too little, too late now. :disappointed: 
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    Here it is 

https://www.ford.co.uk/finance/ford-credit/personal-financing/ford-options-cashplan

Yes the current situation is annoying :( I can understand why you feel the way you do...

Take a look at your fluoxetine thread and seriously consider the replies, IMO there is a chance that taking it will give you a little respite from your issues and provide the break you need to get on.
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:
    Here it is 

https://www.ford.co.uk/finance/ford-credit/personal-financing/ford-options-cashplan

Yes the current situation is annoying :( I can understand why you feel the way you do...

Take a look at your fluoxetine thread and seriously consider the replies, IMO there is a chance that taking it will give you a little respite from your issues and provide the break you need to get on.
    Ah, now that's interesting.  I wonder why they don't offer that option on the finance calculator!  Good to know there's another option there.

I have just read the Fluoxetine thread (had to set aside some time to read through that one lol!).  I do hope to try it at some point but it won't be until next year now.  I realise that's only a few hours away but I mean once this xmas season has passed and things get a more relaxed.

The trouble with taking any med, especially an SSRI, is exactly the same as the issue with cars.  The worst symptom I have, and the one that stops me doing the most things, is the nausea.  I'm currently feeling like I'm on the cusp of being ill for long periods of each day.  I feel like it'll only take a tiny bit of added nausea from an SSRI to make me physically ill and that's a scenario I know I can't cope with.  I also couldn't ask anyone round to help me out as that in itself already causes a lot of nausea, even for people standing outside and me on the doorstep.   It is a difficult situation (another one!  :D ) but I'm going to have to do something soon.  :#
  • 66Mustang
    I won’t pretend to know how you feel but I can say I can relate a bit as I was at that stage myself i.e. the stage where you can take a big risk that might pay off or might make things worse. Like someone with a physical illness who is deciding whether to have a big operation that has a chance to go wrong or make their life better. I’m not exaggerating with that analogy either as I know how significant mental health issues are.

The position you are in now is not great but it’s predictable enough so easy to say “let’s just stay the way I am” but you have to decide if you want to be that way for the rest of your life or take a risk to make things better. Personally if it was me I would take the risk but I’m aware that’s very easy for me to say as an outsider.

Sorry I’m probably talking drivel and it probably sounds a bit harsh but hopefully it helps even a tiny bit. I wish you the best of luck whether you choose to take the medication or not :)

Brightness