Who will be in line for an electric car? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who will be in line for an electric car?

Hxrry
Hxrry Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I know I will be! what's your thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Before i choose my current mobility car i had a 48 hour test drive of a Mini countryman and that was plug in electric and it was very annoying. The thought of going out and having to charge the car before, during and after is just too much effort for me, so i would say no to this version. Although the hybrid, sounds good a choice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    If I lived somewhere where I could have a charge point fitted then yes I would.  I only do very low mileage and have suffered with DPF problems on diesels for the last 6 years, but not been able to run a petrol.  Now I can run a petrol they also come with GPFs (gasoline particulate filters) which also don't like short journeys!  So really full electric would be best for me.

The current car I'm looking at is a mild hybrid (MHEV) which basically has a small electric motor and 48v battery to boost the petrol engine.  Giving more power and better efficiency but without ever having to charge the battery yourself as it recharges as you drive.  I'm sceptical as to how much real world difference these MHEVs actually make, but seems like a good compromise until the full electric infrastructure is improved.
  • Hxrry
    Hxrry Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Awesome! I think with the way things are going that they will find a way for everyone to have the electric option but I purchased a Toyota C-HR & i find average mpg is amazing compared to any other car I have owned (Y) 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I couldnt cope with a plug in electric car  it  wouldn't suit me at all  I have driven a hybrid   which is better but uses more petrol  than electric   I would rather drive the old type cars 

On another post I was talking about cars and my newest car  is a peuogot  yes I like it but I actually got locked inside my car but did get out  in old car where a key is used thst wouldn't  of happend  ha ha 

The hybrid is  is ok for short distance  as it uses more electric than petrol then  with an all electric think I  would stress about running  out of electric  I get  enhanced  on both  but buy my own cars  at the moment 
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited January 2021
    Hxrry said:
    Awesome! I think with the way things are going that they will find a way for everyone to have the electric option but I purchased a Toyota C-HR & i find average mpg is amazing compared to any other car I have owned (Y) 
    Yeah, with the petrol & diesel sales deadline less than a decade away they will definitely have to improve the electric infrastructure quickly!

I considered the Corolla Hybrid myself but I can't get on with automatic transmission so have ruled that out, as well as any other proper hybrid this time, MHEV is still available on manuals fortunately.  What sort of average MPG do you get from the C-HR out of interest?  Is it the 2.0 petrol Hybrid in those?
  • Lisatho11987777
    To be fair  I don't think they will get rid of petrol and diesel  all together  becsuse thry make to much money 

If you had an all electric  car whst would happen  if there was a power cut  my friend has got an all electric car because they were cheaper than a hybrid   and her opinion is she wish she hadn't botherd  when you charge the car at a station you have to have it on thete for an hour  if you run out of electric  you can't get out the car or open the window and to fully charge it takes 12 hrs 

It tells you how many miles you have left but she said it would be no good for a carer in the community   she has to take her mums car which is petrol  and they expensive to fix if something goes wrong 

Its OK if you have mobility  cars  you don't pay tax in them so not so bad there  we will see   I am havring a hybrid engine conversion on one of my vehicles  to see if it can be done which will be cheaper  got ten years yet I might not be driving by then lol ha ha 

Out of the two I would say a  hybrid  would be better 

• poppy123456
    If you have an electric car and it runs out of electric then you can still use the car. You can still actually drive it too because it will still have fuel in the car lol. I test drove a Mini Countryman for 48 hours and it was electric. The charge was almost empty when i had it and i didn't charge it back up but could still use it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Was it a hybrid  or a plug in my friend has  a plug in    I have driven a hybrid which is fuel and electric  but on a long distance drive it was using fuel  more than electric  and when you go at a certain speed it uses fuel  more than electric 

They have plenty of time to make it better though lol  ha ha the plug in electric cars are cheaper to buy than a hybrid  I  am going to see if I can do an engine conversion on my vw t4   which costs two thousand   be interesting to see   ha ha  alot can happen in a decade  lol 
  • poppy123456
    It was plug in electric. I've also driven a hybrid, which is completely different to a plug in electric.
  • Lisatho11987777
  • Lisatho11987777
    Information  what to do if you run out of electric in  an all electric car 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Just to clarify, the Mini is a plug in Hybrid (PHEV).  If you buy a full electric car (like a Nissan Leaf) there is no fuel back-up to use if the battery runs flat.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2021
    Plug in hybrid electric vehicles or PHEV for short can continue to run even when the electric battery is flat. These cars are different to just the hybrid, which do not need to be plugged in to charge. The car i test drove from Mini was plug in electric and the electric was completely flat but i continued to use it. See link for confirmation that my advice is correct. https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/how-do-plug-hybrid-electric-cars-work

Obvously if it's purely electric then if the battery is flat then natrually it's not going to work.

• Lisatho11987777
    Sorry  when I asked  you just said plug  in  I cant see the point  of a plug in hybrid  people will just use it as a fuel car  lol

I think most people will  go for a hybrid  to be fair if they have to  change   dual cars have been around for a long time  but never took off 

Now they call them hybtids  just made better  the batteries for standard size electric would last for 100 miles  and the biggest is 360 miles at the moment  in all types   but you have fuel in two of them so your battery won't go  flat 

I think people need to be careful how they choose 

• OverlyAnxious
    edited January 2021
    Don't forget how quickly battery tech has improved...even 10 years ago look at the size phones, laptops and tablets had to be and how poor the battery life was...  I genuinely believe that within 5 years we'll see full electric 'normal' cars with the same range as a petrol model.  Infrastructure will take longer to build but with the new tech that's still being developed we'll have fast charge points where you can just stop at a Shell garage and pump in 80% of battery capacity within 5-10 minutes.  So about the same as filling a 50 litre fuel tank.

Hybrids will not be allowed when the sale of petrol and diesel cars get banned so we'll all have to go full electric eventually - but that should just push the technology even more quickly.  :)
  • poppy123456
    Sorry  when I asked  you just said plug  in  I cant see the point  of a plug in hybrid  people will just use it as a fuel car  lol

I think most people will  go for a hybrid  to be fair if they have to  change   dual cars have been around for a long time  but never took off 

Now they call them hybtids  just made better  the batteries for standard size electric would last for 100 miles  and the biggest is 360 miles at the moment  in all types   but you have fuel in two of them so your battery won't go  flat 

I think people need to be careful how they choose 

The self charging hybrid obviously charges itself. There's a lot of PHEV's around now, i see them all the time. When i said plug in i certainly didn't mean purely electric lol, which is why i originally said that just because oit's electric it doesn't mean you can't use it when the battery isn't charged.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Overly anxious  thsts why I said now and your right  technology will  move on  and but becsusr of whst has hsppend over the last year and comring into  the new year I dont think it will be as fast happening as they would like 

They need to claw money back  alot of jobs would be lost  and the government make alot of money out of fuel  they will need to build  the economy back up first 

Thry have also got to sort out what  will happen  to the millions of cars  thst would have to be taken off the road   they will stop selling normal fuel cars   and if prople csn have an engine conversion which is cheaper  

We will have to see lol it will be interesting though  
  • Lisatho11987777
    My phone is playing up  again misses letters out 
  • poppy123456
    When things do change in 10 years time they won't just scrap all of the existing fuel run vehicles that really would be ridiculous.

What will happen is the Government will ban the sale of ALL NEW petrol and diesel fuelled ones. You will still be able to buy used ones.

• OverlyAnxious
     You'll still be allowed to drive petrol and diesels cars after the ban comes in, dealers just won't be able to register brand new ones.

There was a series on TV about electrifying older cars a few months ago, think it was called 'Vintage Voltage', worth a watch if you didn't see it first time as it was really interesting.

Brightness