I need a downstairs toilet has anyone done this — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need a downstairs toilet has anyone done this

happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
Having a downstairs toilet would make my life so much easier. I would like to know if anyone has had one under their stairs or put a small extention on their property for a toilet. I think under our stairs maybe a little too small, so looking at it, it may require a brand new staircase to give it more room, or we could be looking at a small extention.

I would like to know if anyone has had a downstairs toilet fitted under the stairs and how much it cost and if you can share images, and if anyone has had a small extention put on for a toilet.

ANy help and adivce would be great

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I think this question has been asked before 

It is hard to compare with another persons as cost will be dependant on each individual persons house 

Why not get someone to give you a quote these are usually fred 

Personally I would enquire about stair lift as alternative as cheaper and less disruptive 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger

Quotes are usually free so you may have to go down this route, rather than rely on other people's experience because everyone's house will be different, with different sizes/layouts etc.

I would agree about the stairlift option though.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    I think it may be cheaper if we put new stairs in to make under the stairs bigger.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You wont know without getting advice from a professional that can quote on all the options 
  • MPowell_1991
    MPowell_1991 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    hello mate, i hope this finds you well? i had a full wetroom installed at my parents house, we applied for a disabled facilities grant (DFG) through our local council. We did this through my occupational therapist. I hope this helps?
  • happyfella
    hello mate, i hope this finds you well? i had a full wetroom installed at my parents house, we applied for a disabled facilities grant (DFG) through our local council. We did this through my occupational therapist. I hope this helps?

Thank you. I will speak to my pain clinic over the phone when i can get an appointment. I was under the local hospital but due to covid they had to transfer all pain management patients to a company called inhealth. I was devastated when this happened because the people i was under were great, and were sorting things out.
  • MPowell_1991

Thank you. I will speak to my pain clinic over the phone when i can get an appointment. I was under the local hospital but due to covid they had to transfer all pain management patients to a company called inhealth. I was devastated when this happened because the people i was under were great, and were sorting things out.
    Do you have at OT or any kind of care support in place at present? If not, you might want to consider researching "direct payments" this can help put support in place for you depending on your individual needs and requirements
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    Speaking to the pain clinic about the DFG isn't going to help. For this you need to go down the needs assessment route first and go from their. Although your local council may look at other options before even considering the downstairs toilet. I also think this was mentioned on your very first thread some weeks ago.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    My original hospital were sending an ocupational health person around to my house to look at everything to help me, but because it was then all passed to inhealth, that has not happened. I would rather get a few quotes and then save up the money myself to get it done. I strugglie with dealing with people, so rather than going through the stress, me sorting it out would be a simple option
  • MPowell_1991
    Disability facilities grants (DFG's) are government funded, individuals are entitled to anything up to £30,000 worth of support. Surely it's worth investigating to save you the money personally?

Brightness