Who will be in line for an electric car? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who will be in line for an electric car?

2»

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppy yes  there is alot about what I was trying to say was how many would plug it in at the end of a long day or if its raining or they got shopping  thry would just rely on the fuel  would you have  a plug in hybrid 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Overly anxious  my t4 just gone in to see if it can be done  its sn engine conversion I am haveing  a hybrid  hopefily 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Poppy i was joking about the fuel cars  if the engine conversions can be done  it will be fab  hard  working people will make money  aswel as the government  in  ten years time lol I might not be allowed to drive ha ha   its going to be interesting  how it all pans out 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh i see...
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm looking forward to the impact electric cars will hopefully have on the environment. They won't make much difference to me as I can't drive anyway, and I'm also hoping that they do make noise, as I think this makes them safer for those on foot who are trying to cross roads.

An entirely different conversation altogether, but I'm looking forward to driverless cars :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Electric cars are quite cars  I only recently had my operation on my eye I need another one on my other eye  but at the time I couldn't see properly  and I used to go by doubd of cars when crossing the road  I was crossing the zebra crossing and a car had stopped I couldn't hear the sound of another car comring and couldn't see a car so I crossed and the zebra crossing was on a corner  all I heard was look out didn't hear a car I felt something run into me but didn't hear it an electric car had hit me he couldn't stop as he didn't know there was a zebra crossing 

I am glad I can see now  and driverless cars  Ross scop hasn't that already been tested somewhere dome one built a driverless car  I think its good in one way and not another you would still have to have part drive though I would think incase something failed  the same as electric cars they would have to be charged up all the time  I would rather not ha ha 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I haven’t read the whole thread but just want to add some thoughts from a massive driving enthusiast (me) as I was going to make a thread about this very subject but see there already is one. :)

I would happily choose an electric car as my next Motability car. I do about 17,000 miles a year but I hardly ever do more than 100 miles in one go so an electric car would be perfect for me as I’d benefit from loads of fuel saved (you have to do a lot of miles for them to be worth buying) but I’d also not worry about the range. A win win.

By a lot of motoring enthusiasts electric cars are considered some kind of contradiction to driving for pleasure. However, from what I can work out, the only two things you lose are a manual gearbox - well an automatic can be fun in my experience; and the sound of the engine - well the sound of an engine is a side effect anyway, not the main purpose, and I could live without it. Actually, I quite like the idea of cruising through the countryside quietly.

I also like the idea of the instant torque and power available. In a traditional car you have to take the engine up through the revs to get peak power and torque (though, not so much for torque in a modern car but still a bit) but in an electric car you basically the same performance available all the time as you’d have if you were driving your traditional car at the red line, only silently.

I would never abstain from combustion engined cars completely and intend to own a Mustang at some point however contrary to many I can see the appeal of an electric car and can see myself having one maybe even as my next car.

I really like the Honda E which I think is a cute little car. It’s £2499 down on Motability. I currently spend over £2,000 a year on petrol so after about a year and a half it will have paid for itself. That said, for people who don’t do the mileage I do, it’s likely not worth it.

Edit: I see there are some electric cars on Motability that have no advance cost (Corsa, Smart etc) so retract my point about it not being worth it for Motability customers, that only applies to retail customers. :)
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    I have read the thread now, just posting this to clarify for anyone who cares

These are the types of electrified car

Hybrid - these have an engine and you put fuel in them, and drive them just like a normal car. The batteries charge up while you are driving more quickly, the car then runs on batteries at lower speeds or uses the electric for some boost when accelerating (MHEVs often do this). This is what @overlyanxious looked at.

Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) - these have an engine and some more sophisticated battery technology. You also put fuel in these but can plug them in. You have the option. If you only do a few miles to the shops you can run them on pure electric. They have an electric only range of up to a few dozen miles then they can run on fuel as well. This is what @poppy123456 drove.

Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) - this is a pure electric car and is what people are usually referring to when they mention electric cars. They have a range of 100-400ish miles depending on model and only run on electricity, they have no engine or fuel tank. If you run out of electricity in a BEV, you won’t be able to drive. A “plug-in electric vehicle” isn’t really a used term but I would say would refer to a BEV, not a hybrid.

Hybrids and PHEVs are set to be banned with the internal combustion engine ban as they have an internal combustion engine as well as batteries. All that will be left to buy brand new will be BEVs.

Hope this helps
  • Lisatho11987777
    Hi 66mustang as you know I like my cars  an electric car wouldn't be suitable for my needs and as you know I like my old cars and my classic cars  not realy keen on new cars with all the electronics 

I cant imagine electric pull ing the weight of a 19ft camper vsn/moter home  or bigger than thst 

As you said 66mustang the deposit is high on morbidity I could buy four decent cars with just thst amount of money you have seen my collection of cars my mini s I paid 300 pond and my  peugot i paid 400 both with mot 

I get the enhanced amount on my pip and I did try  a mobility car but I let the lease run out and didn't bother again  I buy my own cars 

I have driven an electric car and a hybrid  a hybrid  I csn cope with as it runs on fuel and self charges on the electric I couldnt cope with plugging g it in and I would stress out iabout long distance driving in it I live in Wales and my family live in England 

My friend ran out of electric and couldn't get out the car she was heading yo the garage when it happend as I told you in the other thread I got locked in my peugot non electric car its sorted now it was the fuse on the electronics 

I think there eill be slot of problems with the electric cars  and they will cost yo much money yo buy 

With all that has happend with corona virus no  one has thst kind of money easier on motobility  but not for the average person  if the deposit is high on motobility  you can apply for a grant for the deposit so it wouldn't be do bad 

We will have to see we got ten years yet ? 
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    Hi @lisathomas50

Fair point about not opting for Motability. You choose what works for you.

Personally, with my high mileage, my old 2002 Mini Cooper only cost me 1p a mile less than my brand new one on the Motability scheme. I think it was something like £0.33 a mile vs. £0.34 a mile so i made the decision to spend 1p a mile more to get a brand new car.

That said I only have the one car while you have a nice collection to choose from so there are benefits to both :)

Also, fair point if you drive long distances, I wouldn’t want to drive a BEV if I regularly did long journeys either!

True we have 10 years still and as @OverlyAnxious mentioned battery technology will certainly improve a lot in that time!
  • Lisatho11987777
    Yes that is very true  I should if fully explained my decision why I buy my own cars  my lupus can change day by day as you said about a mini which I also have  I am using the mini for my explanation as a mini is lower  some days I cant get into my mini  as its low  so I use my landrover  as that is higher  some days I feel closed in so I drive one of my convertibles  and put the roof down I have done that in the rain and snow I had a mini on motability  the day I test drove it I was fine  but then my lupus flared up and I couldn't get in it  so I have different cars  to suit the day I am haveing lol 

Thank you for explaining sll the different words for the different cars I knew what a hybrid was that used the fuel got confused when it was called a hybrid plug in I csnt see the point of havring to charge a car that also runs on petrol  

Yes its true that battery technology  should be better in ten years  but I think that should be by choice snd not because  you have to  if you now what I mean

Plus the cost of haveing to buy these cars I paid 14000 00 for my camper van it runs on diesel  how much would it cost to buy when it all changes to electric  and if they ban all fuel vehicles  my camper van I have brought for my to drive in later life isnt going yo be any good to me in ten years unless I can get an engine conversion to be fair  for my personal  opinion and feelings I am upset I love my cars I have but they are going to be useless 

I was so upset by it I have actually written to the prime minister about it  as I said I dont mind the electric cars  but I think it should be personal choice  not forced on you ? 
  • MPowell_1991
    MPowell_1991 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    Motability contacted me directly to ask if i'd be willing to trial an electric Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle, but i haven't hard anything back since
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    You going to chase them up @MPowell_1991 ?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MPowell_1991
    MPowell_1991 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    You going to chase them up @MPowell_1991 ?
    I will do, purely because i'm fascinated to see how they're intending for it to function and what the range might be considering most WAVS will naturally carry heavier weight loads, i've had a car before that had a reduced fuel tank due to the ramp being fitted.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Mpowell 1991 you will have to let us know how you get on when  you have tried it out 
  • Lisatho11987777
  • Lisatho11987777
    Yay my car collection is safe  by the time I have to stop driving them  I might be to old to drive  happy now 
  • 66Mustang
    @lisathomas50 Yes you will still be able to drive your combustion engined cars after the ban, the ban only affects the sale of new combustion engine cars. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    I laughed when it says the life of a car is 16 years if you look after a car it lasts alot longer than 16years lol 

Brightness