Online learning for free or ridiculously cheap during lockdown? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online learning for free or ridiculously cheap during lockdown?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
Above.

Last  year I did 2 course with ShawAcademy.com and got Diplomas in Photography and Scratch coding. However these courses were expensive at £50 a month, with no refunds if you completed the course within the first year so I had to drop out after a few months having completed the 2 courses and started a web design course.

Because I don't want to go back on Shaw Academy and can't go to actual College for obvious reasons, is there any way to learn new and existing skills online? I did sign up to a Unity course on Zenva.com last year to learn how to make an RPG in Unity, but due to technical problems my PC won't run Unity at the moment to carry on my learning.

Ideally what I'm looking for are C# coding classes, Photography classes, and if possible Unity classes once I can get the software to work.

I've hit Google already but all the stuff I've found is in American money.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Future learning and sheffield uni offer free courses dont know what subjects 

I use elearn college and they often have huge discounts both my diploma only cost £39 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976 for C++ coding https://www.learncpp.com/ offer an extensive range of free modules for learning.

As it is a self learning course and you don't mention if you have a C++ compiler if you need one check out https://isocpp.org/get-started

If you would like informal support with learning C++ I would recommend googling for an appropriate forum where you could pose questions.

Hope this helps.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
    It's not C++ it's C#, big difference but thanks anyway :)

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    These don't offer recognised qualifications, but Udemy and LinkedIn learning offer some fantastic courses. They are paid services, but you can access a free trial that can be upwards of a month. You can also buy individual courses for as little as £10, and they can include 10s of hours of content.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    These don't offer recognised qualifications, but Udemy and LinkedIn learning offer some fantastic courses. They are paid services, but you can access a free trial that can be upwards of a month. You can also buy individual courses for as little as £10, and they can include 10s of hours of content.
    Yeah I did 2 Photography courses on Udemy last year and got certificates and I started a game design course for Unity with them but now I can't carry on because Unity doesn't work on my PC :(

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Openlearn have got a treasure trove of online learning for anyone wanting to learn something new during lockdown.  Although aimed at sixth form students, I'm sure there is plenty we can all take away from their resources.  

This section is dedicated to the Arts and Social Science.  Whilst check out this section if you are more Business and Law orientated.  Let me know if you do anything! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness