council tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

council tax

happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
Hi, i am trying to work out if we are entitled to a reduction in council tax. My situation is, we have been on UC since March last year but paid full council tax as were not sure if we got a reduction due to being on UC. last week I was awarded PIP enhance for both. The only income we have coming in at the moment is, £500 wages from my wife work but she has been off since march last year due to covid and self isolating due to her doctors advice. We also get £164 UC per month.

If we are entitled, how do we apply and what do we need to supply.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Council tax reduction is not part of UC and needs to be claimed separately from your local council. See link. https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

There may also be a carers discount that your partner could claim, this will mean that you will be classed as the only adult in your house and receive a 25% single person discount.See link regarding this and scroll down to exemptions. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-household-finances/council-tax-rate-relief

I don't know if it can be backdated anymore the 3 months but you can certainly ask.

I won't be able to tell you how much you'll be entitled to because all local councils have their own rules regarding council tax reduction.

If your partner returns to work at anytime then you will of course need to report the changes.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hard to know if you are entitled as each council has different eligibility 

I get a reduction for being on PIP and being on UC bit this is my only income 

You can apply on your council website I think I didnt provide anything as they have access to DWP so can see your benefits 
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
    thank you. i also have my daughter who lives with us who is 28. she stays at home instead of moving out to support me
  • poppy123456
    You will need to tell them that he's living with you. As advised, all local councils have their own rules regarding council tax reduction.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    All you can do is try see what it says on the council website 
  • poppy123456
    As there are 3 adults in the house then the carers discount may not apply here.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.