Just had a text message with my phone assessment date. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just had a text message with my phone assessment date.

BrettW
BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Got up this morning to see a message on my phone from the Assessment Services. I have a phone interview on the 18th of January at 9am regarding my PIP application.

To be honest seeing this date has finally made the process a reality and has made me a bit stressed because I do find things like interviews a bit of a strain. The finally irony is that January 18th is also my birthday so not the best birthday present I could have wished for :) Just want to get it over and done with now as I know this is going to play on my mind for the next couple of weeks.

Anyway enough of my moaning hope everyone had a happy new year.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi therehappt new year

Take the time to prepare give over your form ready and think of examples of what happens when you try and do the tasks 

Good luck 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Ooooo nearly the same birthday @BrettW, mine is the following day :D 

As mentioned above, try to take the time to prepare yourself for the situation, but try not to over prepare and work yourself up about it. I'm sure you'll do fine, but make sure you think of your examples and answers to any potential questions, giving focus to how your condition impacts you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @BrettW hi, my birthday is 15th, so that makes you a Capricorn , shows strength ... you will be fine, good luck
  • BrettW
    Thank you for all your comments and advice everyone 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Can I ask @Username_removed how would that work with anxiety and depression?
    I must have put something right as I was awarded standard daily living, but I kept thinking I could have a answered better.
    With physical disabilities, you can say what happened when you attempted xyz but with depression, there is no attempting, due to lack of any motivation...just the consequences of not doing it...ie you dont wash, eat or want to go out etc.
    Obviously with anxiety, you can explain any panic attacks etc, but not so with the depression.
  • Cress
    Sorry for butting in on the thread....
  • Cress
    Thanks for taking the time to reply @Username_removed .
    I managed to get 8 points but worried that all the prompting needed wouldnt count for anything as I look after a son with moderate to severe learning difficulties among other things and carry out most daily living tasks for him, I thought they would conclude that if I can do these things for him I should be able to do them for myself....I cant and dont but fortunately the powers that be thought fit to award me standard daily living.
    I remember thinking it would be unfair to be turned down because I couldn't just take to my bed and hide from everything...which is what I'd prefer to do...lol

• BrettW
    edited January 2021
    @Username_removed I did put examples in my original form back in October but have recent examples of how my daily living is affected. My condition is actually worse than it was back when I filled in the forms so I will make sure they are aware of this with new examples to reinforce what was put on the form
  • BrettW
    Hi

When I said I would make them aware I didn't mean I would just blurt out I was worse.

I didn't put things in my form like I fell 3 times last month but instead told them how things affected me when doing that particular task

I didn't exaggerate anything or put things in the form just because that's what I think they wanted to hear I just gave them honest simple explanations on how my health conditions affect my day to day life now

If that means I don't get awarded Pip then I'll accept that but all I can do is be open and honest with them
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    No one advised anyone to exaggerate and i'm not sure why you thought that. If a person did this then it could be classed as benefit fraud. You should always tell the truth.

Recent real world examples really help with a PIP claim and giving these examples during an assessment will be very difficult. If i was having my assessment there's no way i would be able to sit there and answer questions with examples straight off the top of my head, even if it was all written down because you don't know exactly what questions they will ask.

All you can do is be honest and answer those questions as best as you can. If the worst happens and you're not awarded,  (although most people are successful) then you'll have the MR and Tribunal routes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BrettW
    No one advised anyone to exaggerate and i'm not sure why you thought that. If a person did this then it could be classed as benefit fraud. You should always tell the truth.

Recent real world examples really help with a PIP claim and giving these examples during an assessment will be very difficult. If i was having my assessment there's no way i would be able to sit there and answer questions with examples straight off the top of my head, even if it was all written down because you don't know exactly what questions they will ask.

All you can do is be honest and answer those questions as best as you can. If the worst happens and you're not awarded,  (although most people are successful) then you'll have the MR and Tribunal routes.
    I didn't say anyone had advised me to exaggerate or suggest that some had I just said I didn't exaggerate anything I put in the form.

I suppose everyone is different Poppy if someone asks me for an example of something I've done or something I've experienced I can give them an answer. Thats why I said I only filled out my form simply and honestly. That way if they ask me about anything I put on the form I could answer them without really having to think about it because its something I've experienced.

It will be the same if they ask me about something I hadn't put on the form. I can either give them a response clarifying the point asked or I can just say thats not something that applies to my situation. 
  • Tumilty
    Tumilty Community member Posts: 65 Courageous
    hi, does everyone get notification as to when they will get the call as mine was out of the blue? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Tumilty said:
    hi, does everyone get notification as to when they will get the call as mine was out of the blue? 

HI,

A call for what? Sorry but it's not clear what you're asking. If you mean a call for the assessment then yes you should receive a letter with at least 7 days notice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tumilty
    Tumilty Community member Posts: 65 Courageous
    Tumilty said:

HI,

A call for what? Sorry but it's not clear what you're asking. If you mean a call for the assessment then yes you should receive a letter with at least 7 days notice.
    Hi,
    Yes sorry I meant that, I was called and assessed by a health professional out of the blue which set my panic off.
    I guess there is no way to prove it. 
    I did mandatory reconsideration over the phone and wished I'd mentioned it. 

Thanks

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.