Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment

Snowflake56
Snowflake56 Community member Posts: 34 Pioneering
After waiting weeks and expecting a phone call from UC assessment its been cancelled. I have three mental health conditions, so my aniexty is again through the roof, cant stop shaking and crying. I am also disabled with degenerative disc disease lumbar and cervical and lost the use partly of left arm and hand, waiting long term for another Mri oweing to chronic pain i also have asthma and copd, im not receiving much support from anywere and the worry and fear from waiting for this call is making life so miserable living alone and having to worry im not eating or sleeping well at all, terrified im going to lose my home too.Ive got no idea what to expect and tired of having to prove myself when im ill and worked until I got ill.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, cancelations do happen at last minute, even in normal times. I know it definitely doesn't help with any anxiety this causes, it's happened to me but for me, i was on my way to the assessment centre.

Hopefully, you won't be waiting too long for another assessment date, once an appointment becomes available they will contact you.

In the meantime, have you referred yourself to your local council Social Services for a needs assessment? You can do that here. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I'm not sure what the process is because of the lockdown but it's a place to start.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Snowflake56
    Poppy123456 Thankyou for your support its really kind of you. I am so tired and stress makes the pain increase as I cannot relax to sleep, feel like I am living in constant fear. I know the department dealing with it are only doing their job and what the government request but its not easy for those who find their selves alone and in this situation, my mental health is being affected even more. Like so many I have been told to shield and I have since March. I have my annual bowel cancer screening this month so the worry from that too is making me anxious so fingers crossed there too, that nothing has returned and the news is good .
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there @Snowflake56 sorry your appointment was cancelled and all the other stuff you have going on .

You mentioned you are worried about losing your home why do you think this may happen? Maybe we can offer some advice to help you 

• poppy123456
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there @Snowflake56 sorry your appointment was cancelled and all the other stuff you have going on .

You mentioned you are worried about losing your home why do you think this may happen? Maybe we can offer some advice to help you 

Thanks janer, that's what i came back to ask, after re-reading what was written. @Snowflake56 is your home rented or owned? May i also ask if you're claiming PIP or DLA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Snowflake56
    My home is rented from a housing association. 
  • janer1967
    Why are you concerned about losing it ? 
  • poppy123456
    Are you receiving help for your rent in with your UC payments? Do you have spare bedrooms?
  • Snowflake56
    I have a carer staying over at night time im afraid if I lose my UC I won't be able to keep my home.
  • janer1967
    I am sure you are worrying unnecessarily if your assessment is for work capability even if you dont get the LCWRA payment this wont stop other elements if your UC 
  • poppy123456
    @janer1967 is correct here. Once a decision's made on your work capabiliy assessment, if you're awarded LCWRA then you'll recieve an extra £341 per month from the 4th month of your claim.

If the decision is LCW then your money will remain the same. If you're found fit for work then it will also stay the same, it won't just stop completely.

If you're unhappy with the decision then you will be able to request the Mandatory Reconsideration, followed by Tribunal.

Hope this happy helped a little, at least you now know that you won't loose your home because UC will not just stop, if there's no other income during your assessment period.
  • Snowflake56
    Janer1967 sorry for not understanding please can you explain what LCWRA is, I have only been on UC for a short time oweing to my partner leaving.
  • janer1967
    I presume your assessment us to determine your capability for work due to you declaring a medical condition on your UC and providing fit notes and completing the UC50 form ? 

After the assessment you will be found to be either fit for work or LCW limited capability or LCWRA limited capability for work or work related activity 

As poppy has said above and given you the effect this would have on your UC payments 
  • Snowflake56
    Thankyou for making that clear for me, I just had no idea how it is all done at the dwp. I have calmed down now a little, I suffer with horrendous aniexty. 
  • poppy123456
    It's always a good idea to do some research when claiming benefits such this and PIP because it's complicated process and you need to meet certain specific criteria to be placed into each of the groups. There's some informtion here regarding the assessment. Although it states ESA in the link, it's for work capability assessments, which also applies to the UC one. They are both the same. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa

Substantial risk, is also a route into the LCWRA group and is explained here. https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra

It is also worth pointing out that with the work capability assessment, sometimes they can't always get enough of information through a telephone assessment alone. If this happens then you'll have to wait until face to face assessments are back up and running again but there's no sign of that happening any time soon. There's been a few members here on the community that this has happened to.

Hope the links help to explain it a little more.

• Snowflake56
    Thankyou I will go through them all it is daunting when you have no idea how the system is run
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Yes, i agree. If you need more help please do just ask :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Snowflake56, hope you're doing okay.

I hope the above advice has been helpful, the system can absolutely be confusing at the best of times. 

I hope you have techniques in place to help you manage your mental health, do you receive any support in that area?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Snowflake56
    Ross_Scope
    My g.p rang not long after I posted and a mental health support worker too. I am finding it difficult handling my mental health and have no real techniques how to cope with them, the least problem can cause significant aniexty, also sometimes dont see anyone in days so overcome with loneliness. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Snowflake56

I see, have you explained this to your mental health support worker? There might be things they could suggest to you to help you cope with the low moments. 

Have you explored any possibilities of how you might be able to meet and interact with others? I appreciate it's difficult right now given the pandemic is still ongoing, but there are always virtual options. One thing we always suggest is the Outsiders Peer Support, Dating and Social Club which is made with disabled people in mind.

I would also suggest looking into the possibility of befriending schemes, often operated by charities, which give people the chance to have a chat with someone each week. Scope's helpline is also available if you ever fancy talking to someone.

Lastly, I hope that this community can offer an enjoyable platform for you to meet others and get involved in some fun discussions. Our virtual coffee lounge is always a great place to start in that regard.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Snowflake56
    Ross_Scope Thankyou for all the wonderful information, its very thoughtful of you, I will definitely take a look, i am grateful of any help and would enjoy communicating online but was unsure were to start.I have been so stressed out today its left me feeling so tired, but hopefully tomorrow will be a little better. Yes I told the support worker how im feeling but just have to hang on with covid about its difficult 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.