housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

housing benefit

ernie2009
ernie2009 Community member Posts: 167 Pioneering
hi everyone, im now 67 and my wife is 63 and my question is can i claim housing benefit or as my wife has not retired would i have to claim universal credit?. i recieve pip enhanced living and mobility and all my wife claims is carers alowance nothing else. any advice help would be apreciated many thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm assuming you're now claiming your state pension?

For any help with the rent you'll need to claim Universal Credit because housing benefit no longer exists for you. Your state pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement as well as your wife's carers allowance. She will be entitled to the carers element of UC in with your maximum entitlement.

I can't tell you whether you'll be entitled to anything for certain so you'll need to use a benefits calculator. If you're unable to use that then i'd advise you to contact an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ernie2009, I am in the same age range as yourself and tried several sites to see if we are eligible for pension credit. But we keep getting pointed to universal credit. Claiming housing benefits you will need to contact your local council who administer this benefits. It can depend on your income from your state and private pensions and any savings you may have. I would phone your local housing benefits office for advice and further information in relation to your personal circumstances.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ernie2009 - just to add, there's a benefits checker here: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

• ernie2009
    HI,

I'm assuming you're now claiming your state pension?

For any help with the rent you'll need to claim Universal Credit because housing benefit no longer exists for you. Your state pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement as well as your wife's carers allowance. She will be entitled to the carers element of UC in with your maximum entitlement.

I can't tell you whether you'll be entitled to anything for certain so you'll need to use a benefits calculator. If you're unable to use that then i'd advise you to contact an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.
    many thanks poppy. yes i recieve state pension and my wife just gets her carers alowance. my wife has another 3 yrs untill she retires then ive been told we can claim housing benefit the none uc route. many thanks for your help and advice.
  • ernie2009
    wilko said:
    @ernie2009, I am in the same age range as yourself and tried several sites to see if we are eligible for pension credit. But we keep getting pointed to universal credit. Claiming housing benefits you will need to contact your local council who administer this benefits. It can depend on your income from your state and private pensions and any savings you may have. I would phone your local housing benefits office for advice and further information in relation to your personal circumstances.
    wilko said:
    hi wilko, ive was told so many things hence my questions. last yr i read somewhere if some-one recived enhanced mobility they could still claim housing benefit the none uc route but reading on gov site it says you can still claim housing benefit if only one partner has retired if they recieve very high rate of mobility or both myself and wife had both reached retirement age so basically have to wait another 3 years untill my wife retires. i think its a waste of time getting pip and carers alowance to have it removed through uc. all very confusing unfortunatly.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2021
    wilko said:

The rules changed for mixed aged couples in May 2019. This link will explain it. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Mixed_age_couples New claims for housing benefit for mixed aged couples are no longer possible.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    @ernie2009 I'm not sure where you read about Enhanced mobility and housing benefit because they are both totally unrelated to each other.

PIP is not deducted from any UC entitlement because PIP isn't part of UC. Yes the carers allowance is deducted in full from UC because they are overlapping benefits and you can't be paid them both at the same time but your wife will be entitled to the carers element in with your UC entitlement.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to make a new claim for housing benefit because your wife isn't state pension age.  It will need to be UC that you claim for any help with your rent. A benefits calculator will tell you whether you're entiled to anything. It will definitely be worth your while getting a benefits check done because you never know you maybe entitlement to something.
  • ernie2009
    @ernie2009 I'm not sure where you read about Enhanced mobility and housing benefit because they are both totally unrelated to each other.

PIP is not deducted from any UC entitlement because PIP isn't part of UC. Yes the carers allowance is deducted in full from UC because they are overlapping benefits and you can't be paid them both at the same time but your wife will be entitled to the carers element in with your UC entitlement.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to make a new claim for housing benefit because your wife isn't state pension age.  It will need to be UC that you claim for any help with your rent. A benefits calculator will tell you whether you're entiled to anything. It will definitely be worth your while getting a benefits check done because you never know you maybe entitlement to something.
    many thanks poppy, please excuse but my minds all over the place with this so basically when my wife reaches 66 we can just put a claim in for housing benefit none uc version. ? many thanks agin for your help and advice.
  • poppy123456
    Yes when she reaches state pension age you can claim housing benefit, if you're entitled to it. In the meantime for help with any rent it will be UC that you will need to claim. It really will be worth getting that benefit check because if you are entitled to something by not claiming you are losing out on money.

Although your state pension and the carers allowance is deducted in full from any UC entitlement this doesn't mean you won't be entitled to anything.
  • ernie2009
    Yes when she reaches state pension age you can claim housing benefit, if you're entitled to it. In the meantime for help with any rent it will be UC that you will need to claim. It really will be worth getting that benefit check because if you are entitled to something by not claiming you are losing out on money.

Although your state pension and the carers allowance is deducted in full from any UC entitlement this doesn't mean you won't be entitled to anything.
    many thanks poppy i just dont know what we would do without you. it amazes me how much you know and it warms my heart how helpfull you are. a massive thank-you from me to you for being such a wonderfull person.
  • poppy123456
    @ernie2009 aww thank you so much for those wonderful kind words! They really do mean so much. You and all the members here are always very welcome :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.