How do you relax - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you relax

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    @MrAllen1976 I know but the Simpson is after a certain time  tom and Jerry were for children  not being horrible but children probably see more violence out on the street 
    Actually, The Simpsons are on pre watershed most days.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 it comes on after 8pm here lol  but parents let there kids watch things I was never allowed to watch when I was younger lol ? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not a big fan of baths, but I do love a nice hot shower! I also like to do puzzles, especially sudoku, watch TV, listen to music, or sometimes play online games. 

I like the smell of scented candles but I get overly worried about starting a fire, so I try and remember to buy reed diffusers for my bedroom :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    Watching comedy shows on TV & listening to music.
    I’m just wondering, do you prefer old comedy shows or new ones?

I used to like “current” shows like Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You but I think those shows and others peaked around 2008-2010 and now are a victim of political correctness and are so sanitised these days. I do still quite QI with Sandi Toksvig but again preferred the old ones under Stephen Fry.
    Just whichever is on at the time really!  I suppose if both were on at the same time I'd probably choose the older ones, but ultimately it's just something 'gentle' where I can be fairly sure of not seeing any triggers.  I do like QI but that isn't always trigger free...with the older ones that I've seen several times I know where to switch over for a few minutes lol.
    While my triggers are likely different to yours I know what you mean and that QI has quite a lot. I have got to the point with a lot of shows where I know when to turn it off and even got some down to just a few seconds of being off before I know it can go back on haha.

If you want a gentle show that’s also quite funny I recommend Keeping Up Appearances. The main character does show signs of OCD so I’m not sure if that’s a trigger for you though but if not it’s worth watching!
  • Arjuna
    Arjuna Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    I love listening to Jahnavi Harrison , her kirtans are so beautiful and her visualizations just relax me completely ,  
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Hi @lisathomas50,

I relax by:

Going for a walk
    Watching a good tv drama or film. I have just participated in the latest film game. Lol
    Listening to music & audiobooks. I love my audiobooks.

• [Deleted User]
    csno01 said:
    Hi @lisathomas50,

I relax by:

Going for a walk
    Watching a good tv drama or film. I have just participated in the latest film game. Lol
    Listening to music & audiobooks. I love my audiobooks.

Do you subscribe to Audible? It's pretty good for £8 a month, you get 1 credit a month on the 26th of the month (even if it falls on a Sunday) to download free books (well it's for a credit, which you pay the £8 a month for)

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Reading anything interesting on Audible at the moment @MrAllen1976?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have audible i have a few books on there but now I have had my eye operation I can read my books again 

I love the way people find a way to relax itd fab 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @csno01 hi  thats a lovely way to relax I am hoping to do try some of the  things people have said they do to relax 
  • Arjuna
    That's wonderful news Lisa , 
  • [Deleted User]
    Reading anything interesting on Audible at the moment @MrAllen1976?
    Yeah, last month's credit was used on a book to learn the Japanese language.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:
    Watching comedy shows on TV & listening to music.
    I’m just wondering, do you prefer old comedy shows or new ones?

I used to like “current” shows like Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You but I think those shows and others peaked around 2008-2010 and now are a victim of political correctness and are so sanitised these days. I do still quite QI with Sandi Toksvig but again preferred the old ones under Stephen Fry.
    Just whichever is on at the time really!  I suppose if both were on at the same time I'd probably choose the older ones, but ultimately it's just something 'gentle' where I can be fairly sure of not seeing any triggers.  I do like QI but that isn't always trigger free...with the older ones that I've seen several times I know where to switch over for a few minutes lol.
    While my triggers are likely different to yours I know what you mean and that QI has quite a lot. I have got to the point with a lot of shows where I know when to turn it off and even got some down to just a few seconds of being off before I know it can go back on haha.

If you want a gentle show that’s also quite funny I recommend Keeping Up Appearances. The main character does show signs of OCD so I’m not sure if that’s a trigger for you though but if not it’s worth watching!
    Yes, KUA is one of my go-to programmes lol.  At the moment Drama are showing To The Manor Born followed by Are You Being Served at tea time, both of which offer a nice distraction without any triggers!

Seeing OCD isn't really a trigger for me, mine are mainly based around harm/medical stuff.  Despite that, I'm actually a fan of action films (Die Hard, Bourne, Bond, etc) but know pretty much all of the switch off points in them!  Can't say they're relaxing though so not really relevant for this thread lol.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you got any good books lined up @lisathomas50? I read The Thursday Murder Club over Christmas and really enjoyed it. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have a collection of Shakespeare  so I am going to have a go at them  I also have alot of true  stories to read so I will see  when my eyes aren't always tied because of my sleep problems 
  • Arjuna
    The original 'Frankenstein ' by Mary Shelly is a Brilliant book , I'm going to have to get around to reading that again!
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have read Mary shelly frankinstein  iits a good read some people I know think its a horror story but its not its a different take on a love story becsuse he can't bear the pain of losing her ?  his heart is broken and he is trying to bring her back 
  • Arjuna
    Yeah, Cant really remember him and  the love story angle , I just remember him leaping and bounding over continents , I think he ended up in the North Pole and then in Eastern Europe or Italy, , and really vivid memory of him grinning through a port hole window, i can remember struggling with Shelly's Prose of her time but once I got past that it just became a terrific book.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,807 Disability Gamechanger
    I like to read, i like Terry Pratchet and autobiography's, just working my way through George Lucas now which my son picked me up for christmas, very interesting
    I like to go sit in my star wars room, it helps me destress a lot just sitting there taking it in, looking at all the collectibles, each one has a story

• endowarrierqueen96
    endowarrierqueen96 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Art helps me to relax. Also a cup of really strong wine and a old classic film like Home Alone and a nice toasty heat pad. I love having homemade biscuits too. Try meditation as well. I recommend strongly avoiding naps however. 

Brightness