66 today ! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

66 today !

Seanchai
Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
edited February 2021 in Coffee lounge
Today,  I officially retire ( my 66th birthday ) I just want to take this occasion to thank everyone on Scope who helped me tackle my change over to PIP from DLA and my endless paper work leading up to my retirement . A special thanks goes to Poppy123456 who has helped me at every turn but I also thank everyone who has helped and encouraged/supported  me through the last 18 months .
Thank you all so much and may your God go with you .???

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Seanchai Happy birthday you!! You don't look a day over 21  :)   I hope you have a lovely day and your comments about the community helping you are very much appreciated.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
        A very happy birthday and retirement  :)
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Seanchai@ Hi Happy birthday enjoy your special day????
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @Seanchai a very happy birthday , enjoy your pension !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Arjuna
    Arjuna Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Happy Birthday.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Happy Birthday @Seanchai - enjoy this special day. :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    @Seanchai Happy Birthday! I hope you have a really special day! Thank you also for those really kinds words :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Happy Birthday @seanchai! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    A very happy birthday and retirement  :D
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Happy birthday ...put your feet up! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Seanchai
    Thanks to all members who sent their best wishes . Scope is an amazing site indeed.  Thank you Cher for your kind comment ....( not looking a day over 21 ...I wish ). :p   I might just put a photo of myself as my avatar instead of hiding behind my old pal Hamish .
    I hope to be a member here for a few years to come  ...God willing .
    I will enjoy my pension Woodbine thanks ....when I eventually recieve it , although i'm sure I will not be buying any new houses or cars with my pension money ??
    Gerry 
  • chiarieds
    Long may you be here @Seanchai - your often ending comment, 'may your God go with you' for me is always lovely to see, & makes me reflect upon things, thank you so much, Gerry. :)
  • Seanchai
    edited January 2021
      @chiarieds Hi my friend....,  yep , I,m Christian ( RC) ....but we are such a diverse society now that I would not like to make anyone feel unwanted or uncared for ...I have friends who are atheist,  friends who are witches . I have my beliefs and they have theirs and everyone is equal in my eyes . I like to read everyone's thoughts on any subject . For years I was a member of a paranormal group ( frowned upon by my religion. )  I can only say I gave saw some weird , unnatural happenings over the years,  that I know there is an afterlife .
    May YOUR God go with you chiaieds ???
    Gerry ! 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Seanchai said:
    Thanks to all members who sent their best wishes . Scope is an amazing site indeed.  Thank you Cher for your kind comment ....( not looking a day over 21 ...I wish ). :p   I might just put a photo of myself as my avatar instead of hiding behind my old pal Hamish .
    I hope to be a member here for a few years to come  ...God willing .
    I will enjoy my pension Woodbine thanks ....when I eventually recieve it , although i'm sure I will not be buying any new houses or cars with my pension money ??
    Gerry 
    Ah it'd be lovely to see a photo of you, if you felt comfortable that is. Here's to many more years and conversations with your friends on Scope :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Seanchai
    edited January 2021
    Here I am ...in my favourite place ( my garden) ..with my favourite instrument ( 5 string bluegrass banjo .) I also played acoustic guitar  for many years( which I gave up due to my very bad hearing ). I have had my old guitar since I was 14 years old . I also used to play flute which I gave up as I have now not got enough puff to play it, I play penny whistle , bohdran  and accordion and can knock a tune out of most instruments . I used to play guitar and sing in pubs ( many moons ago ) .I have to go easy on the bohdran these days as my tinnitus drives me crazy . I think the fact that I played in a band for 20 odd years never helped my 24/7 jet engine tinnitus in my right ear.
    "Please take care of your hearing"  is something I tell my grandchildren regularly . My work as a maintenance engineer never helped my tinnitus either ...no ear defenders in those days I,m afraid ??
    Just an ordinary man , doing the best I can ??
    Take care ....and may your God go with you ?
    Gerry ?
  • chiarieds
    Great to see you @Seanchai - we share the same God, Gerry (I'm C of E & my 3 grandchildren have been brought up RC). I share your thoughts too. I always told my children that you have a faith (or not) depending on where you were born in the world, & your parents, & to therefore show respect to all; they do. I became interested in looking at other religions, & feel we often share more similarities than differences.  :)
  • leeCal
    @Seanchai your paranormal experiences intrigue me, could you share some or perhaps pm me about them? I could do with strengthening my belief in the after life. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Happy birthday 
  • Seanchai
    Ah  @chiarieds ....you children and your grandchildren will do just fine with a grandparent like you around . It sounds as though they had a good start and a good footing and understanding of the world . We can only pass on our beliefs and if the children, grandchildren follow that , then they have a flying start ...of course I feel  ( once they get older ) they must do what they think is correct for them . We are always here for advice if they need advice ....we tell them how we feel about any subject but I would never foist my beliefs on them , I tell them what I would do but they will have to decide what's best for them . Alas I never had that option , my father told me what I must do and I followed his directions , my brother was around 8 or 9 years older than me and I was expected to follow in his footsteps . I loved working with wood but my brother was an engineer . One saturday night my father came in from the pub and told me I was starting as an engineer ( I was 15 years old) I said I did not really want to be an engineer , to which he replied " you either start work on Monday or you pack your bags and leave the house .?? That was because his drinking buddy had set up the job for me  and he would not like to let his drinking buddy down ??

I say often enough , that there are many more nice people in the world than bad people . I believe strongly in the power of prayer ....I,m not saying I run my life around religion ...no , not at all . I was born and have stayed in the same village all my life ( so far)? .  When the factories and foundries and brickworks and pits around east central Scotland closed in the 80,s , there was just no work,  as there were many thousands in the same boat as me . So I offered my services on a voluntary basis .
    I was never busier , i gave my time willingly and it stopped me from going crazy , . I helped older people who were not able to manage their grass cutting , hedges ect. ...an odd job man .( no wonder I put so much weight on with all the lovely cakes and biscuits folks would make me)  .  ?
    I have 1001 stories of my life in the village and I started about 25 years ago writing a book . One of the older villagers ( I used to help keep her rather large garden tidy ) ....had a book published ( still available from amazon)  she was keeping me right on the writing side of things and was going to help me get it published ....alas , she died and I lost a lot of my get up and go ( my "dingdoorum" as its called .  So my book was put on the back shelf .
    In our small village ( well...it used to be small until about ten years ago or so) They built hundreds of new private houses in our village and our small village is now about ten times the size it once was ....alas , the newcomers coming into the village were very stand offish . Very few would even say good morning . I used to take my dog for a walk in the village and it would normally take me about ten minutes to walk around the village I could be gone for hours,  just chatting to people and maybe having a cup of tea with them in their gardens in the nice weather . I tried talking to the new villagers but very few would even say " good morning" ...I felt as though the new folks in the new houses were looking at me with suspicion...as though I was wanting something off them . It's still the same to this day ...not even a nod . ...sad really .
    Oh ...my nickname is 'Seanchai '( everybody in the village had a nickname ) alas there are not many of the old brigade left now . Most have moved on to the big house in the sky . Seanchai ....that came from my ballad singing and story telling .
    A 'seanchai ' was a man who used to roam from village to village ( before newspapers and radio ) and the seanchai would tell the village  folks the latest news from around the country ....and from around the world , he would sing a few ballads and for his trouble he would get a few pennies or maybe even a meal. ....then he would move on to the next village . 
    I apologise for my long posts , once I start talking , i find it hard to stop.??
    @leeCal .....l could talk all day ( week) about my paranormal experiences ...it started at a young age ....well ...In truth my experiences were first started by my old granny , I grew up with her in the house and she was a lovely old woman ( she looked just like the Beverly hillbillies old granny ) .. even down to the round glassies and the pipe . I never thought anything about her rituals as I grew up with it . She had religious statues around the house and on certain days she would spend more time praying in front of various statues and crucifixes.  Certain days she would get out of bed , say her prayers with me kneeling beside her then she would go and turn any mirrors to face the wall ( she called them " looking glasses" ) ...plus , at a full moon , she would go to the back upstairs window of the house and slide the window up full , then put her specs on top of her head ....she would then look at the moon  and mumble under her breath some chant or prayer , I could never make her out ....but as she was 'praying' to the moon,  she would turn a silver coin in her fingers at the same time . As I got a bit older I started asking things about her rituals . ...but most times she would tell me when I was  older .All she told me was " do not look at a full moon through glass  She loved nature and she loved when I brought her wild flowers , she would tell me their name ...and their correct name ...and what they were good for ( medically and spiritually) . I suppose that was my path into the supernatural . 
    If nobody complains. ....I could tell you many, many stories of things that have happened to me over the years.  My granny always told me not to interfere with things I know little or nothing about ...One of her saying was " A little knowledge about a subject can be a dangerous thing " ....I never really understood that until later in life . 
    If anyone complains about my rather long posts ( and that's me trying to keep them short  ??? I will PM you some of my experiences LeeCal. Of course there might be a bit of interest but I know that some people are rather frightened of such stories . Someone on Scope asked me a year or so ago about my experiences in the paranormal . 
  • leeCal
    Look forward to hearing from you @Seanchai, thanks ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness