How rested are you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How rested are you?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

Today is officially the Festival of Sleep Day!  A special day created to help people catch up on rest after the busy festive period.

The quest for a good night's sleep is one not lost on our community.  Many of our members and their loved ones struggle with poor quality sleep.  This means our community's sleep conversations and Scope's sleep services are invaluable for helping to improve downtime.  

Man asleep in bed with his dog snuggled up to him

How can Scope help my child get a better night's rest?

For families of disabled children, Scope's free 'Sleep Right' service can be a godsend.  Taking place online or over the telephone, our sleep practitioners offer a 6 week tailored support programme designed to improve children's sleep patterns.  This service is currently open to families with disabled children aged:
  • 2 to 18 in London, and Leeds
  • 4 to 18 in Peterborough
  • 2 to 19 in Northamptonshire
To apply, follow the link above and register :)

While for tips and guidance to help children sleep more soundly, look at the 'Helping your disabled child sleep' webpage.  This includes links to a special 'Sleep Right podcast' that covers how to soothe night time anxiety, and much more.  

How can Scope help me sleep more soundly?

I discussed my ongoing battle with insomnia in this 'Searching for sleep' thread and received lots of helpful responses on how to better my sleep routine.  Take a read of the thread for ideas about candle-lit yoga, cutting down on screen-time and even listening to reiki sleep podcasts (nodcasts!).  

While, the Scope website has different practical tools to implement in your daily life.  For instance:
  • recording your sleeping pattern in a sleep diary to identify what to avoid or keep doing
  • trying different sleep tips 
Yawn... anyone else feeling sleepy?!

How rested are you?

Has the last fortnight left you full of energy, revitalised and raring to go into the year ahead?  Or, are you zonked, sloth-like and in need of more zeds?

Let us know and we can brainstorm together what might help :)

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I have lots trouble with sleep either getting to sleep or staying asleep 

I've been ok last few weeks 

I try and not dose in the day but it's hard if I have had a bad night 

I go to bed late and then get up late . I can be really tired but as soon as I hit the pillow I'm wide awake 

Too much on my mind 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @janer1967 I hear you.  It's almost like your brain kicks into overtime sometimes as soon as the lights go off!  If there's anything we can help you with that's on your mind, be sure to tell us.  But if not, maybe you could write bits down in a note-pad at the side of your bed and plan to act on them later?

The last couple of days I've been reading a book for half hour before bed-time and it's <touch wood> seemed to help a bit!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I'm the total opposite, I can sleep through anything! As soon as I take my hearing aid out and my head hits the Pillow I'm gone till the next morning.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Same here @MrAllen1976

I fall asleep at 9pmish and wake up after 7 so a good 10 hours.

I can sleep with the light on, through most types of noise, and on many surfaces :D 

Before I get accused of bragging I feel fortunate compared to those who can’t get good sleep but I feel it is balanced as it is the only respite I get from my intrusive thoughts. I would give up most things including sleep for the thoughts to go away.

That said I’m glad it’s something I don’t have to worry about. 
  • janer1967
    Reading used to help but I cant see well enough to read anymore need my magnifier and it just puts strain on my eye 

I usually get up and have cup tea but need to look into some alternative techniques I think 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I take a wheatbag to bed most nights, although *laughs* I'd much rather take one of those attractive young women from Aussie soap, Neighbours.

• janer1967
    Your obsessed with then @MrAllen1976
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    We also tend to go to sleep late but sleep in late unless we have to get up, especially in winter when there's not much to do
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    What about an audio book @janer1967
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Well nothing seems to be working for me at the moment its 6.40 am and still awake I slept most of yesterday day time because I was awake all the night before I am trying everything I csnt turn it around its horrible ? 
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    When I sleep my mind shuts itself off from my environment because sensory overload, so I sleep really deeply. But I have no standard sleep routine because my brain changes sleep patterns constantly. It's quite irritating every time I think I've sorted it. I sleep about 8 hours which is really good but trying to control my sleep pattern is the most difficult thing
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I only sleep when my body decides it can't stay awake anymore which is normsly on the day time  I don't get to sleep untilll about 10am  I am lying g in bed now but nothing I am wide awake I f I could stay awake until about 6pm I might sleep until the morning I have tried alot of things I used to work 12 hrs a day and my dr thinks once I get z job I will be ok 

Brightness