MacOS Big Sur — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MacOS Big Sur

csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
edited April 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi Everyone,

I understand that there are few Mac users in this group and therefore, I have a question for you.

Forgive me if I have already asked this already, but I was wondering if anyone, particularly visually impaired members had any issues with the Magnification? 

When I go to zoom in after i turned my computer on, I find it shoots unto is maximum zoom. I find this a nuisance and was wondering if the zoom settings could be adjusted so that the zoom is done gradually. Does anyone else have this issue? Replies appreciated.

Thanks
CSno01
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @csno01

I wish I was a Mac user so I could help you out but unfortunately I've never used one. You might find it helpful to look on Apple's help pages for accessibility. You can find one here for vision.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I was a mac user and kept haveing the same problem I couldnt cope with it and sold it on lol so i did go in to settings to try and solve the problem but I made it worse  there is a mac group on line that may be able to help 
  • csno01
    Thank you for the recomendations @Ross_Scope  & @lisathomas50. I will take a look.  
  • Lisatho11987777
    No problem hope you get to sort it out you got more patience than me lol
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I haven’t yet got round to upgrading to OS 10.16, my Macs are still running OS 10.14 and 10.15, so 10.16 may well be where the issue lies, but I can’t get your problem to occur on either of mine - the zoom works fine for me even after restarting my computer

How exactly are you using zoom? Do you zoom with a button + your mouse wheel or just by pressing button combinations? I want to try to replicate the issue
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    Oops I now realise it’s called Mac OS 11 not 10.16 but hopefully you get what I mean!
  • Lisatho11987777
    @66Mustang I had the same problem I sold it on I couldn't cope with it lol ? 
  • csno01
    66Mustang said:
    I haven’t yet got round to upgrading to OS 10.16, my Macs are still running OS 10.14 and 10.15, so 10.16 may well be where the issue lies, but I can’t get your problem to occur on either of mine - the zoom works fine for me even after restarting my computer

How exactly are you using zoom? Do you zoom with a button + your mouse wheel or just by pressing button combinations? I want to try to replicate the issue
    Hi @66Mustang

I hold down both Alt & cmd together and use the + or - keys to zoom in and out. I have used the same keys on previous versions of MacOs and they worked fine for me. Until I updated that was. Lol. 

I think the problem only lies with Mac OS 11-11.1. When I did the initial setup of Accessibility features, I used the keys mentioned above and straight away, this was the first thing I noticed.
  • 66Mustang
    May be the case

That said I just had a play and am wondering have you tried going into options and moving the “Maximum Zoom” slider to the left? The further right it is, the more the zoom zooms in with each key press.

Apologies if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs
  • csno01
    66Mustang said:
    May be the case

That said I just had a play and am wondering have you tried going into options and moving the “Maximum Zoom” slider to the left? The further right it is, the more the zoom zooms in with each key press.

Apologies if I am teaching my granny to suck eggs
    Hi 66Mustang,

I have just checked my settings and you are correct. Thank you very much for the recommendation. My zoom settings are behaving themselves now. Lol.

• 66Mustang
  • Lisatho11987777
    Glad you fixed your problem that was probably the problem mine had I just sold it on and explained the problem to the person I sold it to lol bet they were laughing at me lol ? 
  • 66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    @lisathomas50 if it’s any consolation I just broke my Mac last night. :( It fell and the screen cracked and now it is unusable.

Fortunately I have accidental damage cover that covers the screen, I only have to pay a £79 excess.

Unfortunately Apple is closed and all the other repair centres are closed or booked up because of the restrictions so I think I’ll be without a laptop for the foreseeable future. :(
  • Lisatho11987777
    @66Mustang oh no not good it could be a whilst before anything is open I havent even been to sleep yet  

I got compensated in a way when I started with open University I was amazed I had a brand new lap top a desk thst goes up and down and a few other things  I had a grant so not to bad I also had a chair they measure you and everything pretty good so I can't complain 

Hope things get better soon so that you can get your laptop fixed 
  • csno01
    Glad you fixed your problem that was probably the problem mine had I just sold it on and explained the problem to the person I sold it to lol bet they were laughing at me lol ? 
    No way!
  • csno01
    66Mustang said:
    @lisathomas50 if it’s any consolation I just broke my Mac last night. :( It fell and the screen cracked and now it is unusable.

Fortunately I have accidental damage cover that covers the screen, I only have to pay a £79 excess.

Unfortunately Apple is closed and all the other repair centres are closed or booked up because of the restrictions so I think I’ll be without a laptop for the foreseeable future. :(
    No way!

I am so sorry to hear that. Especially after you have helped me. It must be very frustrating for you?

@lisathomas50 At least you got something out of your grant. That is good to hear.
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @csno01 thanks for thinking of me. I learnt not to get frustrated at problems a long time ago so just treating it as “one of those things”. Also I do have the iPad to use so it’s not the end of the world, but yes I will miss having a laptop

Is your Mac still behaving? :)
  • 66Mustang
    @66Mustang oh no not good it could be a whilst before anything is open I havent even been to sleep yet  

I got compensated in a way when I started with open University I was amazed I had a brand new lap top a desk thst goes up and down and a few other things  I had a grant so not to bad I also had a chair they measure you and everything pretty good so I can't complain 

Hope things get better soon so that you can get your laptop fixed 
    Thanks and that’s really cool - what did you study with the OU?
  • csno01
    66Mustang said:
    Hi @csno01 thanks for thinking of me. I learnt not to get frustrated at problems a long time ago so just treating it as “one of those things”. Also I do have the iPad to use so it’s not the end of the world, but yes I will miss having a laptop

Is your Mac still behaving? :)
    That is good to hear @66Mustang. You are right in what you say. it is not worth it. I too am starting to realise that now myself, based on importance of the issue. Yes it is thank you :-:smile:

Brightness