What’s the last thing you bought online? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What’s the last thing you bought online?

Options

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang I don't think I will go very often  as there were a few people just hanging around fova small place though we have alot of police in the small town thry are on horse back 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:

@OverlyAnxious would you consider a Mac?
    I would but they're so expensive.  Looking at ~£500 to get a HP/Dell laptop with the specs I'm after, Mac is over £2000!  :o
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,578 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious wow I agree £2,000 is a lot! If you are willing to compromise on screen size and go with 13.3” the MacBook Air does everything you need but is still a grand unfortunately - not sure if you’d be willing to push the budget up that far? It has a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM and the new Apple-made M1 processor which in tests has performed as well as the Intel processor in the previous generation high end 13” MacBook Pro so it’s really powerful.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    My next major purchase might be the new Xbox if Argos ever get any in stock for delivery.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    I hope you manage to get one soon @MrAllen1976 but don’t forget about us all on the forum once you get it :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious wow I agree £2,000 is a lot! If you are willing to compromise on screen size and go with 13.3” the MacBook Air does everything you need but is still a grand unfortunately - not sure if you’d be willing to push the budget up that far? It has a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM and the new Apple-made M1 processor which in tests has performed as well as the Intel processor in the previous generation high end 13” MacBook Pro so it’s really powerful.
    So it has a smaller screen and half the storage of my current 7 year old HP laptop...but still costs twice as much as a windows equivalent?  I'll never understand Apple buyers!  :p

Seriously though, I use the laptop for several hours a day so want as bigger screen as I can get, definitely don't want any smaller than the 15.6" I have now.  I might push the budget to £750 for something that fits all of my criteria but it would have to be pretty good to go that far!

I don't really get the difference between the processors...both Intel and AMD Ryzen seem to be common on various brands so I'm not sure if either is 'better' overall?
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious fair enough, good luck finding something

Yes Intel and AMD are the 2 big processor makers and I’m sure for every Intel processor there is an AMD equivalent but I’m not clued up enough on AMD to know what the equivalents are

All I know is that whether you want higher clock speed and less cores or a lower clock speed but more cores depends on what you want to do on the PC...if you do a lot of gaming or multitasking you might want a 6/8 core with lower GHz clock speed but if you do simple stuff a 2/4 core with a higher clock speed may make these tasks a bit faster as a lot of simpler tasks don’t utilise multiple cores

TBH you are right to go for a SSD as this is the best upgrade you can make IMO, I’d never go back to a spinning hard disc now unless I for some reason needed loads of storage

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @OverlyAnxious - I don't know if this will help, or not, but when my desktop computer had a wobble recently, my son thought it might need mending with a new one. He has been building computers for 15+ years. He chose all the components for me & went with an Intel Core for the computer he would build. Touch wood, since he checked everything over, it's going fine.
    We've always bought from Overclockers, so you might like to see what they offer to compare. I don't know anything about laptops, but have had a look. The Medion Erazer Crawler has everything you want (£750) apart from perhaps its 256Gb SSD storage. The Medion Erazer Deputy has double the storage & a slightly better graphics card (£850). Here's the link: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gaming-laptops/finder/up-to-1000-pounds

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
           3 venetian blinds and a rug, a late Christmas present to myself, I always wait for the sales and have saved nearly £85... I love a bargain  ;)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Next thing for me is trying to find some suitable wire mesh for my daughters hamster cage. The little devil has escaped twice this week and yes i have a cat :o Thankfully, the hamster is in her bedroom and at night her door is shut so Alfie can't get in. Not sure exactly how he's escaping but i think he's some how squeezing through the bars...eeek!

Personally i much prefer going out to shop because it's my way of escaping for a while and not feeling completely trapped at home. Online is ok for certain things but there's nothing like seeing something in person rather than a picture, which for me never gives you the real image.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @poppy123456 yes good point about seeing things in person, I would tend to agree with what you say there. Also we prefer to shop for food in person so we can choose the best fruit, vegetables, meat etc whereas an employee would probably pick up the first ones that may be bruised or poor quality

I think hamsters like trying to escape, our hamster used to gnaw on the bars of his cage - not sure if he was trying to get through them or if he was keeping his teeth strong like a dog gnawing on a bone but it made a racket
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @66Mustang I have done online food shopping since March and to be fair they do better than me I have long dates  on my items and my fruit and veg is tip top  I used to work for a supermarket and the pickers are trained to pick the longest dates and fresher fruit and veg  but online shopping isn't for everyone  my nearest supermarket is 15 miles I have priority slots so its not so bad then ? I know slot of people who prefer not to 

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @lisathomas50 ahhh I didn’t know that that’s good to know, thanks :smile:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I tried to purchase Lottery tickets online last Friday, and for some reason my card failed, I know why now, I've spent all my allowance that's supposed to last me 2 weeks, and I only got paid last Tuesday.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @MrAllen1976 thats not good  then know how that feels though
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @MrAllen1976 fingers crossed your numbers don’t come up, that would be very annoying if they did
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I tried to purchase Lottery tickets online last Friday, and for some reason my card failed, I know why now, I've spent all my allowance that's supposed to last me 2 weeks, and I only got paid last Tuesday.

@MrAllen1976 Are you going to be be able to manage?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang yes i agree with the online food shopping too. I've done this quite a few times in the past and the quality of the fresh food they choose has been very poor, as well as the very short dated food. Quite a few times i've had to ring the supermarket to complain and have received refunds. Also the substitutes are often ridiculous and sometimes have no relevance to what you actually asked for and some are quite funny. I'd much prefer to go in person.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
    Options

@MrAllen1976 Are you going to be be able to manage?  
    I'll just do what I always do and dig into the main account.

But thanks for asking :)

@66Mustang I bought £12 worth of tickets with cash from Tesco in the end.

I never win anything anyway, oh hang on I won a tenner just before Christmas, and circa the end of November 2019 I had a BIG win of £156 for 4 numbers on a 4 times rollover.

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I just bought a karcher steam cleaner with a window squeegee attachment  and spare cloths 

Cant wait to give it a go.
    Cant believe I'm so eager to do cleaning...lol

Brightness