Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What’s the last thing you bought online?

66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,634 Disability Gamechanger
Just a light-hearted thread, a random question that is of no consequence

What’s the most recent thing you purchased on the internet?

Mine was a Barbour T-shirt (a Christmas present)

Replies

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,334

Scope community team

Oooh Barbour eh! Very nice  :)

I treat myself to some new Brooks trainers.  Mine are falling apart at the seams and these new ones are rather snazzy and illuminous.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,634 Disability Gamechanger
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,256 Disability Gamechanger
    A set of Eufy Smart Scales...  :)
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    A Taylor Swift lithograph for my daughters birthday next week. (she's a huge fan of hers or otherwise known as a Swiftie)
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,113 Disability Gamechanger
    A pair of boots very trendy ones 

Not often I buy them with only needing 1 but will donate other one to Jo's odd shoes along with some others I have 
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,357 Disability Gamechanger
    A £5 week to view diary which came bent and damaged courtesy of the great A!
    the pages are useable but the binding is awful to look at for the next year. ☹️
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,719 Disability Gamechanger
    some stuff to unblock the loo which has been playing up all week ! what a glamorous life I lead. B)
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
    Last thing I bought online was some Lace for Mum from Amazon last week, the sales receipt said it'd come today, it came the day before yesterday in fact.

• Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,428 Disability Gamechanger
    A new duvet... because somebody, not mentioning names... Ewan!... spilt coffee on it.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
    Just bought new charger cable for ipad which I have bought off a friend 
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Member Posts: 3,796 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had new pjs new slippers  new dressing gown perfume deodorant face cream  food shopping 

Online shopping is my thing I love it 

I have probably already said I live in a village and people tend to shop at the same places 

I get my lush bath bombs on line aswel and my csndrls 

I like on line shopping because they have different things  that you can't buy in shops and some of my friends  have online shops that they started on line due to the corona virus alot of small high street shops thst I like have gone on line aswell 

Sorry thst was a bit long 
    Thanks for the responses everyone. It is really interesting to hear what people last bought. :smiley:

@lisathomas50 I agree that online shopping is a really good thing especially as someone with social anxiety and issues getting out to go to the shops :)

Scope community team

I find it interesting hearing what people have been buying too.  It appeals to my inner nosey-ness!

Is anyone eyeing anything up to buy next?  I'm probably going to get a new book for my kindle; there are lots of 99p daily deals on Amazon that are too good a bargain to miss  :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    I brought four of  Katie prices bath bombs to try out  and I brought some deodorant in a make up bag  
    @66Mustang I started online shopping when my eyes got to bad to drive until had my operation I have been able to drive since 31st of December and went to morrisons to get food shopping  first time since March it was quite and not to bad and not allowed in without a mask and things  and I went to ickand the same there and they gave you an apron 

I think I have just got used to online shopping now and I can get different things love my bath bombs usually have the lush ones ordered some Katie price ones to try 

Is anyone eyeing anything up to buy next? 
    A new laptop...but it seems like a complete minefield!!  :o 
    @OverlyAnxious do you know what your  looking for I I usually type in ehst I am looking for  then they come  up I found that easier when I brought one for my son 
    Not really haha!  I know roughly what I want (15.6" screen, 8GB RAM, decent audio, SSD and fast performance) but finding all the different processors confusing.   Always seems to be a compromise as well, like a fast processor with a small hard drive or a large hard drive with small RAM!  I'm just keeping an eye out for all the deals coming up...I never pay full price for anything!  :D
    @OverlyAnxious its a nightmare like you say  I knew what my son wanted don't to the last detail lol  ha ha  there are so many laptops  

I was the same buying my free sat I wanted one that could  record  watch TV programmes  pause live TV and go back earlier on in the day and watch a programme  with a large hard drive and apps I got one after alot of searching lol 😆 

Good luck hope you find what you want xx
    @lisathomas50 really glad to hear you are able to drive again. I do go to the shops with a family member quite regularly. I wear a mask all the time but not heard of being given an apron to wear!

@OverlyAnxious would you consider a Mac?
    @66Mustang I don't think I will go very often  as there were a few people just hanging around fova small place though we have alot of police in the small town thry are on horse back 
    66Mustang said:

@OverlyAnxious would you consider a Mac?
    I would but they're so expensive.  Looking at ~£500 to get a HP/Dell laptop with the specs I'm after, Mac is over £2000!  :o
    @OverlyAnxious wow I agree £2,000 is a lot! If you are willing to compromise on screen size and go with 13.3” the MacBook Air does everything you need but is still a grand unfortunately - not sure if you’d be willing to push the budget up that far? It has a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM and the new Apple-made M1 processor which in tests has performed as well as the Intel processor in the previous generation high end 13” MacBook Pro so it’s really powerful.
    My next major purchase might be the new Xbox if Argos ever get any in stock for delivery.

I hope you manage to get one soon @MrAllen1976 but don’t forget about us all on the forum once you get it :D
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious wow I agree £2,000 is a lot! If you are willing to compromise on screen size and go with 13.3” the MacBook Air does everything you need but is still a grand unfortunately - not sure if you’d be willing to push the budget up that far? It has a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM and the new Apple-made M1 processor which in tests has performed as well as the Intel processor in the previous generation high end 13” MacBook Pro so it’s really powerful.
    So it has a smaller screen and half the storage of my current 7 year old HP laptop...but still costs twice as much as a windows equivalent?  I'll never understand Apple buyers!  :p

Seriously though, I use the laptop for several hours a day so want as bigger screen as I can get, definitely don't want any smaller than the 15.6" I have now.  I might push the budget to £750 for something that fits all of my criteria but it would have to be pretty good to go that far!

I don't really get the difference between the processors...both Intel and AMD Ryzen seem to be common on various brands so I'm not sure if either is 'better' overall?
    edited January 10
    @OverlyAnxious fair enough, good luck finding something

Yes Intel and AMD are the 2 big processor makers and I’m sure for every Intel processor there is an AMD equivalent but I’m not clued up enough on AMD to know what the equivalents are

All I know is that whether you want higher clock speed and less cores or a lower clock speed but more cores depends on what you want to do on the PC...if you do a lot of gaming or multitasking you might want a 6/8 core with lower GHz clock speed but if you do simple stuff a 2/4 core with a higher clock speed may make these tasks a bit faster as a lot of simpler tasks don’t utilise multiple cores

TBH you are right to go for a SSD as this is the best upgrade you can make IMO, I’d never go back to a spinning hard disc now unless I for some reason needed loads of storage

• chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,918 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @OverlyAnxious - I don't know if this will help, or not, but when my desktop computer had a wobble recently, my son thought it might need mending with a new one. He has been building computers for 15+ years. He chose all the components for me & went with an Intel Core for the computer he would build. Touch wood, since he checked everything over, it's going fine.
    We've always bought from Overclockers, so you might like to see what they offer to compare. I don't know anything about laptops, but have had a look. The Medion Erazer Crawler has everything you want (£750) apart from perhaps its 256Gb SSD storage. The Medion Erazer Deputy has double the storage & a slightly better graphics card (£850). Here's the link: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gaming-laptops/finder/up-to-1000-pounds

• vikingqueenvikingqueen Member Posts: 346 Pioneering
           3 venetian blinds and a rug, a late Christmas present to myself, I always wait for the sales and have saved nearly £85... I love a bargain  ;)
    Next thing for me is trying to find some suitable wire mesh for my daughters hamster cage. The little devil has escaped twice this week and yes i have a cat :o Thankfully, the hamster is in her bedroom and at night her door is shut so Alfie can't get in. Not sure exactly how he's escaping but i think he's some how squeezing through the bars...eeek!

Personally i much prefer going out to shop because it's my way of escaping for a while and not feeling completely trapped at home. Online is ok for certain things but there's nothing like seeing something in person rather than a picture, which for me never gives you the real image.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 yes good point about seeing things in person, I would tend to agree with what you say there. Also we prefer to shop for food in person so we can choose the best fruit, vegetables, meat etc whereas an employee would probably pick up the first ones that may be bruised or poor quality

I think hamsters like trying to escape, our hamster used to gnaw on the bars of his cage - not sure if he was trying to get through them or if he was keeping his teeth strong like a dog gnawing on a bone but it made a racket
    @66Mustang I have done online food shopping since March and to be fair they do better than me I have long dates  on my items and my fruit and veg is tip top  I used to work for a supermarket and the pickers are trained to pick the longest dates and fresher fruit and veg  but online shopping isn't for everyone  my nearest supermarket is 15 miles I have priority slots so its not so bad then 😅 I know slot of people who prefer not to 

@lisathomas50 ahhh I didn’t know that that’s good to know, thanks :smile:
    I tried to purchase Lottery tickets online last Friday, and for some reason my card failed, I know why now, I've spent all my allowance that's supposed to last me 2 weeks, and I only got paid last Tuesday.

@MrAllen1976 thats not good  then know how that feels though
    @MrAllen1976 fingers crossed your numbers don’t come up, that would be very annoying if they did

Scope community team

I tried to purchase Lottery tickets online last Friday, and for some reason my card failed, I know why now, I've spent all my allowance that's supposed to last me 2 weeks, and I only got paid last Tuesday.

@MrAllen1976 Are you going to be be able to manage?  

@66Mustang yes i agree with the online food shopping too. I've done this quite a few times in the past and the quality of the fresh food they choose has been very poor, as well as the very short dated food. Quite a few times i've had to ring the supermarket to complain and have received refunds. Also the substitutes are often ridiculous and sometimes have no relevance to what you actually asked for and some are quite funny. I'd much prefer to go in person.
    edited January 10

@MrAllen1976 Are you going to be be able to manage?  
    I'll just do what I always do and dig into the main account.

But thanks for asking :)

@66Mustang I bought £12 worth of tickets with cash from Tesco in the end.

I never win anything anyway, oh hang on I won a tenner just before Christmas, and circa the end of November 2019 I had a BIG win of £156 for 4 numbers on a 4 times rollover.

• CressCress Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    I just bought a karcher steam cleaner with a window squeegee attachment  and spare cloths 

Cant wait to give it a go.
    Cant believe I'm so eager to do cleaning...lol
    @Cress havent tried one of them I got one of the rug doctors to clean the camper van  and I got the window attachment  on mine makes it easier to clean the camper can 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,105

Scope community team

A game for the PS5 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    I just purchased a new rug for my room after dropping my laptop on the wooden floor and breaking it. Hopefully the rug will soften the blow if it happens again and it looks nice! :smiley:
    @666lizzie2 have you found anyone to fix it you can have it done on line but uou have to send it away to be done 
    It’s still under warranty so I need to send it to Apple who will fix it but they aren’t open due to the lockdown :( just need to wait :/
    What rotten luck @66Mustang - that's one thing I like about desktop computers.....they tend not to move around. There again, I've got a cat that likes nothing better than biting through wires! :)
    @66Mustang just noticed I changed you to lizzy lol 😆  sorry at least its under warranty I was looking on line in line for something  and saw something about screen fixing and thought of you  all the better if its under warranty  even though you have to wait 
    That’s true about desktops @chiarieds! The other thing about them is when I inevitably spill my coffee on them I only have to replace the keyboard, not the whole computer!

I think you are able to get a spray that you put on the wires, that makes them not taste nice to cats?
    Thank you @66Mustang - I hadn't heard of a 'don't bite me I don't taste nice, kitten' spray. I'll try to find some. I did wonder, if I ever managed to get away on holiday again, what I'd come back to....! I just treated myself to an expensive new keyboard recently, which came with a cover. No more cat hairs, as she must have had nocturnal walks across it, & so much nicer to type with.....I'm even a bit faster. :)
    update just ordered some light bulbs from amazon, aren't they expensive, mind you she who must be obeyed thinks I think that everything is expensive, or that i'm tight.
    Which isn't true i'm just careful !
    Three bottles of zoflora....I heart zoflora ...
    @woodbine I got a pack of 20 just before Xmas for 20 00 light bulbs  frim amazin
    Day before yesterday I bought an Xbox One headset from Game, was supposed to be delivered to my Parents' this afternoon, obviously because of the weather they couldn't access the property, the tracking on Royal Mail says they'll try again tomorrow or the next working day.

Cress said:
    if you put a capful of zoflora in your kitchen sink at night add half a kettle of boiling water the kitchen will smell great next morning.
    woodbine said:
    update just ordered some light bulbs from amazon, aren't they expensive, mind you she who must be obeyed thinks I think that everything is expensive, or that i'm tight.
    My bathroom lightbulb blew the other day.  I've just swapped it for the hall one that I rarely used anyway...can't get tighter than that!   ;)
    66Mustang said:
    That’s true about desktops @chiarieds! The other thing about them is when I inevitably spill my coffee on them I only have to replace the keyboard, not the whole computer!

I think you are able to get a spray that you put on the wires, that makes them not taste nice to cats?
    You must be more of a risk taker than I am!  Coffee near a laptop?  :o

Though I would like a crumb-proof keyboard!  :D
    woodbine said:
    Cress said:
    if you put a capful of zoflora in your kitchen sink at night add half a kettle of boiling water the kitchen will smell great next morning.
    Ooh, I'll give that a go...I love all the different fragrances @woodbine
    woodbine said:
    My bathroom lightbulb blew the other day.  I've just swapped it for the hall one that I rarely used anyway...can't get tighter than that!   ;)
    I used to do similar with batteries when I had a TV with a DVD player. I’d put the batteries in the TV remote to turn it on then take them out and put them in the DVD remote to switch the DVD on. No point paying for 2 sets of batteries. :D 
  • nicklarkin3663nicklarkin3663 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I bought Chanel No 19 EDP perfume and It is a vibrant perfume that you can wear daily or for special occasions.
  • BrettWBrettW Member Posts: 607 Pioneering
    An AMD 5800x CPU for my new computer build
    24 AA batteries from Amazon, to be delivered tomorrow.

A book on cleaning tips, twas rubbish so I de cluttered and threw it in the recycling ...
    Cress said:
    A book on cleaning tips, twas rubbish so I de cluttered and threw it in the recycling ...
    Haha you have to be careful with those types of books. I once tried a tip out of something similar to remove a stain on a favourite T-Shirt of mine - it ended up pretty much behaving like bleach and totally ruined it lol
    I got set of 72 crayons and some textured art paper for my sons homeschooling art classes. 

Not only do you have to be teacher you have to provide the tools as well with this home schooling 
    @janer1967 must be hard for all parents with school age kids at the moment. Not only have you got to make sure their education is seen to you also have to constantly work out more inventive ways of keeping them entertained during lockdown :cry:
    @janer1967 my sister in law said that but in wales they gave all the hone school laptops books everything thry needed and now in lockdown 
    @lisathomas50 not the case for our school they did get us to complete a survey about what devices each child had 

Mine uses his phone we have laptop but it is set up for me with my eye sight issues we also have iPad but he prefers his phone they do Microsoft team 
    @BrettW mine is happy spending all his time on his xbox or netflix or his phone 

I do send him on errands tho to get him out for bit of exercise 

And we do baking and cooking together 
    @janer1967 to be fair I was shocked how different things are considering borris Johnson is always going on about education they still havecthrir free school meals aseel 

Some of the children don't want to go back to school lol 

I know its a sore subject for some but open University is all online and people get degrees so children xan still learn 

Another another thread I have said how my stepson seems to be better learning at home than school he lices it 
    My last thing i orderd on line were my bath bombs and pjs thst came yesterday 
  • Andy58Andy58 Member Posts: 39 Courageous
    I don't know wether I did the right thing or not considering my disability but I bought and had delivered this week one of those vibrating plate  "exercise" machines
    @Andy58 I was considering one of those can you let me know how it goes and if its any good please 
    @lisathomas50 it's early days yet but it certainly does what it says it does,  i haven't even tried half power yet and early reusults with a swollen ankle (fluid) looks promising

Scope community team

I got some new clothes :) 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    I ordered a pack of 24 AA batteries, £10.99 on Amazon, to come tomorrow.. I kind of dropped one there because Dad then brought me 2 packs of 24 from Pound Land for 2 quid! D'oh!

Scope community team

I ordered a pack of 24 AA batteries, £10.99 on Amazon, to come tomorrow.. I kind of dropped one there because Dad then brought me 2 packs of 24 from Pound Land for 2 quid! D'oh!

You certainly won't be short of batteries there :) 

edited January 23
    The Poundland Kodak batteries don't last long tbh.  I use them for the Xbox controller as they're easy to change regularly and still works out cheaper, but use branded batteries in anything else, especially things that lose setting like radio controlled clocks/weather stations.

Scope community team

Can't beat Duracell in my opinion @OverlyAnxious, as far as batteries are concerned :) 

• MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 760 Pioneering
    I bought some toiletries from Superdrug online and the delivery was delayed so they emailed to say they had added £3 worth of points to spend on my account, then 2 days later it was delayed again and they added another £3, I eventually got the order about 16 days after placing it, but also £6 worth of free points to spend. 
    edited January 23
    @MarkN88 that’s a result :) well kind of!

It reminds me of when we had a poor internet service and whenever family members rang up to get it sorted they gave us £5 off as a gesture of goodwill, one month there were so many issues and so many calls they ended up paying us to use the service 
    66Mustang said:
    @MarkN88 that’s a result :) well kind of!

It reminds me of when we had a poor internet service and whenever family members rang up to get it sorted they gave us £5 off as a gesture of goodwill, one month there were so many issues and so many calls they ended up paying us to use the service 
    Always a bonus I say. 

I didn’t mind the extra wait for the extra points, ha.
    Can't beat Duracell in my opinion @OverlyAnxious, as far as batteries are concerned :) 
    Why pay extra for Duracell when you can get 12 batteries from Poundland for less than a fifth of the price of 6 Duracells?

Because with poundland batteries you get what you pay for...

Why pay extra for Duracell when you can get 12 batteries from Poundland for less than a fifth of the price of 6 Duracells?

I did just that a while back on a money saving exercise and they didn’t even work, replaced them with Duracell and hey they worked, so not sure what happened there. 

Because the Duracells last a lot longer.  I get through 2 or 3 pairs of Kodaks in the Xbox controller in the same time that one pair of Duracells lasts.  It does still work out cheaper to buy the Kodaks but is more hassle.  Some items (cameras in particular) won't work at all with cheaper batteries.  There are also environmental reasons to use fewer batteries.  And then the final reason is for people with mobility issues that have to wait for someone to come in to change clock batteries, it's better to pay the extra for batteries that last longer.  It's horses for courses at the end of the day.  :)
    edited January 23

Because the Duracells last a lot longer.  I get through 2 or 3 pairs of Kodaks in the Xbox controller in the same time that one pair of Duracells lasts.  It does still work out cheaper to buy the Kodaks but is more hassle.  Some items (cameras in particular) won't work at all with cheaper batteries.  There are also environmental reasons to use fewer batteries.  And then the final reason is for people with mobility issues that have to wait for someone to come in to change clock batteries, it's better to pay the extra for batteries that last longer.  It's horses for courses at the end of the day.  :)
    On the contrary I use Poundland batteries in both my cameras and they mostly work no problems, although I did buy some slightly more expensive batteries from Home Bargains about a month ago that seem to still be going strong, I only paid £1.59 for 12.

Back on topic, I ordered a Fred Flintstone cosplay costume on eBay Thursday morning and it's just come today, the seller used second class post as well so I gave them positive feedback this afternoon for very prompt dispatch and delivery.

I just wish I could find a Wilma or even a Betty to cosplay with lol.

I bought Hitman 3 on the Xbox Store today, not bad but I'm rubbish at stealth games :(

I also bought the Season Pass for WWE 2K20 which includes most of the current add ons and also the WWE Smackdown Legends add on which includes the late Chyna, and a few other stars including Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

Following a phone call to Plusnet yesterday, I had to buy a Powerline Adaptor to get fast Fibre, £28 on Amazon, fortunately Dad owes me some money so he let me buy it on his credit card.

2 smart bulbs delivered today, now lazy me can tell Alexa to turn the light off
    My house is full of them @Andy58 and I have a lightstrip behind my monitor that changes colour to match whats on screen for a bit of ambiance.

I use Phillips Hue stuff and its all set up to turn lights on and off automatically and I can just ask Alexa to turn the living room what ever colour I want to set a mood. The bedroom lights are set so that they cycle slowly different colours then slowly dim and turn off at a set time so I don't have to worry about falling asleep with the lights on.

Hue is expensive but they have a very long lifetime and save a fortune in the long run over normal bulbs.
  • crossycrossy Member Posts: 9 Connected
    haha nothing special im afraid but just bought a new element for my fan oven, real exciting eh
    Just ordered some flowers online for senior management to cheer her up when they arrive. might even get me in the good books for 48 hours !  <3
    I bought some new pyjamas that arrived today. 
    A heavily discounted Regatta fleece...  Saw them on HUKD on Thursday, ordered one straight away with free postage and it arrived Friday lunchtime!  

Scope community team

<ears **** up at sound of @OverlyAnxious 's bargain>

My last purchase was some ginger shampoo and conditioner from the Body Shop which has personally helped me so much in eliminating dry scalp symptoms.  (Disclaimer - other good shampoos and conditioners are available in various outlets)

Scope community team

As you can see, my post was censored  :D  I'll leave it in to give you all a good giggle.

Sign in or join us to comment.