Fit note issue - a month is not 4 weeks. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit note issue - a month is not 4 weeks.

gentlegee1976
gentlegee1976 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
edited January 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
My fit note was renewed for 3 months from 28th October 2020. This means (in my mind) it expires on 28th January 2021. The DWP says it expires 12 weeks after it was issued (on 20th January 2021).

The DWP said that 3 months is 12 weeks, where I argue that 3 months is 12 weeks and about 6 days. I used UC payments as an example, yet they still don't seem to understand. UC is paid monthly for me (3rd of every month) and NOT every 4 weeks.

If it was paid every 4 weeks the dates that I was paid would vary. The first payment would be March 3rd, then March 31st (28 days later) then April 28th (28 days after that). The next few payments would be on May 26th, then June 23rd, then July 21st, and then August 18th.

I know it seems trivial, but it annoys me. If my note was issued on the date above in bold, on what date does it actually expire? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    If it's for 3 months then it expires 3 months later. Your GP will not be able to give you another fit note until that one expires.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I tend to agree I would expect 3 months to end on the 27th and a new onenisdued from 28th 

But that is my opinion and your work coach and DWP see it differently 

It doesn't really matter what we think if that us what they require then you will need to go with it 
  • gentlegee1976
    gentlegee1976 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    I think this problem could be easily solved if doctors gave people fit notes with a specific end date, and not a general time period such as 2 weeks or 2 months, etc.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree @gentlegee1976 that us what I used to get mine to do avoids confusion 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.