Change of Circumstances - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of Circumstances

Options
2»

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @lisathomas50 I wasnt getting at what you said 

I was just pointing out how what looks like the same disability affects people differently 

Some amputees do get pip some dont as lots go on to near full mobility 

I am sure people look at me and think why doesn't she have false leg but it just isnt that simple 

Believe it or not you have to be approved to get a prosthetic leg by physio report  and be under a certain weight and get consultant approval 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know its hard as I had a man who tried it when I worked in care and he didn't cope with it very well 

The programme was actually very good the lady who had the false leg cant spell the proper name desperately needed help she had applied and was refused it showed all her daily  life and the struggles she had in everything she got realy poorly 

Then the other lady drunk as a lord turns up at her assessment drunk with a bottle in her hand not a care in the world got her pip she  had carers in that were paid for meals cooked for getting food from the food bank the lot on pay days she would buy loads of booze  use all her pip buying booze in the program she left the carers in the flat 

It was a good programme thecswsnsea love story was the same they got pip and they were all taking drugs again a good programme but makes you wonder how pip gets it so wrong 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @lisathomas50 I don't think anybody said that whatever you say is wrong, what does hack me off sometimes is this argument you see across the media when people have this argument about i'm more disabled than you because of a,b or c, all disabled people are just that..disabled and the idea behind forums like this is that we help each other out as best we can.

And thanks @janer1967 for that insight into your problems, and how the same disability can and does affect different people in a different ways.

I'm sure people would look at me sometimes and think well he's ok, but then they don't see me when i'm banging my head against the floor trying to bite chunks out of myself, and when they ask me how I am and I answer yeh i'm ok because its too much trouble trying to explain something you know they wouldn't understand, or the pain I feel when i think of the number of friends my disability has cost me, or why 23 years on i'm still bitter that it cost me my career !

Life really can be a ****, but we have to shake ourselves down stick a smile on our faces and carry on as best we can. 
    x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,188 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't usually speak about this but my dad was an alcoholic, sadly he passed away on 12th Feb 1981. He was 37. I was just 9 years old.

Please don't compare 1 person against another. We all suffer with our disabilities in one way or another and no one is any worse than the next person. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

You can have a disability but not be entitled to PIP because if you don't fit the descriptors, you won't score the points for an award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine I have lupus but  how I see it is so what I am alive I csn still do things iieaz 18 when I started to get ill  I was diagnosed with all sorts of things but at 26 I was diagnosed by professor Hughes Louise  Cooper unit st Thomas hospital London 

I had already had a stroke and a heart attack before  that  I was told I wouldn't live long  told me I wouldn't be able to carry a child I had 4 children by then and six miscarriages  he was shocked he told me I wouldn't be able t to work

I ended up hsveing ten children two sets of twins mind  I worked nearly all my life  and I am 58 everything he said I couldnt do I did the corona virus has more chance of killing me off than my lupus  don't get me wrong I have had carers I do struggle and I am in pain if any one asks I normsly say I have the ability to do things when I can  

I said for the lady to have her xrays  on her hands so she knew what was wrong and new what to expect as it is better to say that you can't use  your hands properly and why  you can't than say you don't know 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @poppy123456 I was saying about a  programme that was on about pip using two different ladies one was an alcoholic   without a  care in the world  and was awarded pip lady with the false leg didnt and showed how the two lives were lived 

The same as swansea love story they all got dla  they were all drug addicts but people who really  need it can't get it 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi everyone, may I politely add, if anyone wants to google it further, that alcoholism is a medical disorder. In some people it's a genetic predisposition to it. My son-in-law is an alcoholic. In his case, he had a gastric bypass some years ago. Losing his brother caused him to start drinking nearly 3 years ago. With his surgery he really shouldn't drink, as one glass of wine is as if he'd had 2 or 3. His problems with his alcoholism have caused our family great grief, but it's also a disorder.
    @lisathomas50 - most disabled people are successfully awarded PIP, but in some circumstances it may just come down to one person having a better understanding about the PIP descriptors than another....which is often where members here try to help. 
    PIP is about your functional problems, & whilst getting an X ray to work out the problems a person might have is useful, you don't need a diagnosis, all that's needed is the exact way you have difficulty with activities of daily living &/mobility.
    Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. You don't need to keep on having to have the last word, nor to infer you know more, I'm hoping to say...everyone's opinion is equally valid, & we all contribute due to either knowledge, & life experiences, or both.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.