can I limit days I am available for work due to my health problems? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can I limit days I am available for work due to my health problems?

kezia42
kezia42 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
HI All, 

I am ill with mental health problems. Due to the virus. I lost my part time work as an art tutor. Also I noticed that Universal Credit now includes housing benefit. So they will be actively persuing me constantly to get full time work. I have never really worked full time and work best with part time work due to Autism, adhd, depression and other mental health problems. I am trying to find out if I can get UC to let me work part time only due to my mental health problems. Have any of you had experience with this or can recommend and starting point for working part time while receiving some benefits. Thank you if yu are able to advise me in any way. Kizzy. 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    When you register for UC you will be asked to agree work commitments at that point you could discuss with your advisor issues with your health. You can certainly receive UC while working part time as you can full time.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kezia42
    thank you for that. I have already agreed to work full time as I did not know that I could ask to work part time due to health. Also I know that I can get universal credit. My issue is being pressured to take on full time work when due to the problems that I have I am really only capable of working part time. Can I set it up so that they cant make me work full time?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Only they can tell you that, it might help if you had some medical evidence to back you up, are you claiming PIP ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kezia42
    I am going to tribunal re pip. I was hoping to do some research before I put it to UC. At the moment I am on sick notes. But at some point I will want to go back to work. UC are not motivated to just give in to me wanting to work part time so I need to be ready and hear from others who have walked this path I am not just going to go in cold and say I dont want to work full time. They will probs stop my benefits. I need to be prepared. I can get sick notes from the doctor but I need to find out others experience first. Thank you. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Think I answered this on your other post 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.