I guess that's why they call it the blues! How are you? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I guess that's why they call it the blues! How are you?

2»

Comments

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    For a number of reasons the last few days have not been good.

Last week took a break from working and went to get a coffee. Going back to my work area I had a really stupid fall. As I was walking along my foot went into the gaming steering wheel, and with a heavy base by the time I realised what had happened there was nothing I could do as it was forcing me down. My ankle was realy painful, my wife was fussing around me and to top it all my boss was trying to ring me. The leg ballooned to twice its normal size and I was really struggling. The coffee was mainly over my face and neck somehow, but the cup ended up on the floor the right way up!

Not so bad now, most of the swelling has gone, and my ankle is fine. Knee not so much, it keeps giving way, but even that is starting to improve.

Took a long weekend off Thursday to Sunday, to give the leg a chance to recover. Returned to work yesterday with so much to do and by the end of the day I am feeling fatigued mentally and physically.  Yesterday went to sleep early and did not wake up again, so no food.  Went to sleep tonight around 6 and been up for a little while. So will need to try and get some more sleep so I can continue working tomorrow.

On the bright side I have been able to joke about it all. At the weekend with no computer time and just resting I finally solved one of childhood's greatest mysteries. Do you know why all the kings horses and all the kings men could not put Humpty together again? Because they were too busy marching up and down that flipping hill in York.

If anyone doesn't get the reference check https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=bFkkRySrZaI&list=RDAMVMbFkkRySrZaI

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• BrettW
    Sorry to hear you had a bit of a miserable fews days @Geoark but at least you managed to use your sense of humour to help you get through it. They do say laughter is the best medicine!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I've been in a bad mood since last night (see my topic in the employment and careers section from yesterday) apparently that job offer I got by email yesterday morning is a scam company! I should known the offer of £400-450 a week for 2 hours work would be too good to be legit.

I also spoke to the care manager of the company who does my morning care last night to cancel this morning's call due to circumstances changing, she said she'd tell the carer, guess what? the flippin' carer turned up this morning, that was bad enough but she was 20 minutes late! The call was down for 9 AM originally, and she rocked up at 20 past!

Naturally I went bananas having just had a blazing row with me Dad about the scam company and other issues, such as the incompetent managers at the care company, but I knew it'd happen! I wouldn't mind but I'm supposed to be the one with the flippin' communication disorder, but at least I pass messages on when required to.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Geoark Ah dear, sorry to hear you've had a rough couple of days.  I hope your knee is on the mend soon and you've had plenty of rest.

@MrAllen1976 I guess it's good you found out early about the job to avoid later disappointment.  Fingers crossed something better is around the corner for you.  Have you calmed down now about the carer miscommunication?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited January 2021
    @Geoark Ah dear, sorry to hear you've had a rough couple of days.  I hope your knee is on the mend soon and you've had plenty of rest.

@MrAllen1976 I guess it's good you found out early about the job to avoid later disappointment.  Fingers crossed something better is around the corner for you.  Have you calmed down now about the carer miscommunication?  
    No because it's not the first time it's gone wrong in that part of my life and I can 100% guarantee it won't be the last due to incompetent managers who have the communication skills of a Sheep, and that's being kind.

I also had a blazing row with my Dad this morning due to the scam from yesterday morning which I thought was a job offer.

So as you can imagine I ain't had a very good week so far.

• Geoark
    edited January 2021
    BrettW said:
    Sorry to hear you had a bit of a miserable fews days @Geoark but at least you managed to use your sense of humour to help you get through it. They do say laughter is the best medicine!
    @BrettW Thanks for the message. I was told a long time ago I would always be in pain, it was just a matter of how much and how I coped with it.  I have always been good at laughing at myself, and during difficult times like this I do find it helps a great deal. Before all the pain I was involved in a traffic accident. All I can remember was a car clipping the handle bars and starting to go head first over them thinking 'oh sh' then I woke up in hospital. I quickly got bored, borrowed a pen from my wife and drew a face on my index finger, and then tied my shoelace around it. When the nurse came in I told her straight - 'Let me go or Mr Finger gets it!' Poor nurse looked utterly confused.

I always think if I can find something to laugh at at least once a day then things cannot be as bad as they seem.

• Geoark
    @Cher_Scope thanks. I will give it a couple of weeks and if things are not improving will ring 101, or what the NHS number is.

Fortunately this time round I did not jar my back.

• Marie88
    Marie88 Community member Posts: 114 Courageous
    edited January 2021
    I’ve been feeling down this month and my sleep pattern is all over place. I struggle to sleep every night and I’m not getting up until about 11, then by the afternoon I’m always tired again and end up having a nap for a couple of hours. I probably should avoid going on my tablet too soon before bed but find it hard to break the habit.

Anyone any advice on how to get my sleep pattern back to normal? It would be great if I got to sleep by midnight and up at 8am, I think it would help with my low mood to have a proper routine. I’m just finding it really difficult. I’m not working and the weather has been awful so I haven’t been out all week. When I do go out for a walk it’s usually in the evening when it’s getting dark as I want to avoid being in contact with people. I find that a lot of people still aren’t keeping their distance, so it puts me off going out in the day time.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    The NHS non-emergency number is 111 @Geoark. It's the non-emergency police number that's 101. I'm sure you would've checked before calling, but I just thought I'd clarify that for you :) 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I also find it really hard to keep a routine, and it can be especially difficult with everything that's going on @Marie88.

Avoiding using your tech devices before bed is definitely a good idea. It is hard to break habits, so sometimes it can be easier to replace bad habits with healthier ones. For example, if you enjoy reading things on your tablet before bed, you could change to a book, or if you enjoy playing games on it, you could try a puzzle book instead. 

Another tip is to try and minimise the amount of time you spend in bed not sleeping. This means not spending time during the day in bed if possible, and getting up as soon as you wake up. It also means trying to avoid spending hours in bed rolling around trying to get to sleep, which is what I often end up doing! To help with this, you could:
    1. Go to bed at the bedtime you've set (midnight)
    2. Try and get to sleep for 30 minutes
    3. If you're still awake, get out of bed and do something relaxing (away from screens!) for 10 miuntes
    4. Go back to bed and again try to sleep for 30 minutes
    5. Repeat until you get to sleep
    6. Wake up and get out of bed at the time you've set (8am), even if you haven't had much sleep
    This can help to train your body and mind to know that being in bed means it's time to sleep. 

Another tip is to have a relaxing bedtime routine that starts around an hour before your bedtime. This could involve having a bath or shower, getting into your pyjamas, reading a book, or listening to music. Anything that'll help you unwind.

Do you know what might be stopping you from sleeping?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • BrettW
    I've forgotten what it's like to have a good nights sleep. 

I'm unfortunately subject to constant chest pain and when I lie down it makes it worse. Since the heart attack I can't lie on my left side at all for more than a minute before the really bad stabbing pains start. I also have to constantly shift position to help ease it and the medication I'm on means I'm up to the loo three or four times a night.

I have Audible now from Amazon so at least I can listen to a decent book on my Echo or phone while I'm tossing and turning and have learned to live with a broken sleep pattern.

• Geoark
    Hi @Tori_Scope thanks for the reminder. Yes I usually check when I have to call the NHS number as I rarely use it and can never remember which way round it is.

Brightness