How do you relax - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you relax

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Holly35 said:
    I dare not have a bath because the combi-boiler I have is ancient and I'm worried it will break down especially with the GCH on and my landlord terrifies me, I dare not ask for a new one so I use the expensive and unreliable electric shower even when it's cold. 

I relax with hot chocolate and I drop 85% dark chocolate pieces into it so it melts and I have a very chocolatey drink. I love eating dates too and I dunk them in sometimes for chocolatey dates. 
    Don't be scared of your Landlord, if the Boiler's knackered they are legally obliged to send an Engineer to see to it, I had that very problem last week.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Holly35 sorry to hear about your boiler that sounds nice putting choclate in your hot choclate I will have to try that 
  • Lisatho11987777
    There are some lovely comments of how people relax lovely to read for everyone ? 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I've just started meditation using Calm vids on youtube.Psychiatrist suggested it to stop racing, intrusive thoughts.
    Right now I'm totally blissed out! Not sure it'll work when I'm having a bad time but I'll try...
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Holly35 - I'm also sorry to hear about your boiler. I was a landlord until recently (we rented out my mother-in-law's bungalow after she died). As a landlord you are supposed to provide a landlord's gas safety check each year. Please see: https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqtenant.htm    which I hope is helpful, & gives advice what to do if your landlord hasn't provided one, & a specimen letter you could use.
    We had a contract with British Gas, which included an annual gas safety check, & also any problems that occurred were dealt with quickly by one of their engineers. Your landlord should be doing something similar as MrAllen1976 has also said.
    About relaxation, I'm going to try @leeCal s meditation, as I already practice relaxing breathing techniques & mindfulness & find them so helpful. I also find listening to music a destressor, or watching films. :)

• Lisatho11987777
    @Cress that sounds lovely I havent tried meditation it I did yoga when I was younger and thry taught us the outer body sensation but its not something I would do on my own 

I will have to try meditation  thank you its nice to see how others relax
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Distraction is a good way to de stress, concentrating on something such as painting or painting something small such as a model, or perhaps darning socks, not something most people do anymore I expect. The important thing is that it needs concentration and by concentrating on a task it makes it difficult to dwell on what is stressing you...unless it’s a pile of socks which need darning! 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    For me its music but mainly my audio books on Audible. Think i have close to a 100 on there now
  • Lisatho11987777
    @BrettW I love audio books but I lose where I am if I drop off to sleep
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Yeah I do that a lot too lol
  • Lisatho11987777
    @leeCal darning socks they would be in the bin ? painting i like though 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds thats a lovely way to relax thank you its nice to see all the different ways 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I loved painting , local landmarks and monuments (purely amateur untrained work )..but, alas, my hands are a bit shaky these days and it became a chore rather than a relaxing past time . I used to lose myself in taking photographs and then painting my subjects.My best  ( and most enjoyable ) was probably my. (very amateur) painting of the Forth Rail Bridge ??
    Holly ....I would use your combi boiler as it's supposed to be used ....it does not matter if you are frightened of your landlord, you have rights . Our social worker got a wet room put in for us ....my wife misses a bath but it was more practical to get a wet room in ( for us both) I prefer a shower but if I had aching bones or muscles then I would soak in a hot bath . The fitters made a lovely job of our wet room .  Your landlord has obligations , like getting your boiler checked . 
    Please follow @chiarieds advice....?
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
        Darning socks...really @leeCal :D.. I bet you wouldn't know how  ;)
  • Lisatho11987777
    @vikingqueen never darned socks in my life lol but my nan used to i always thought there must if been a shortage of socks lol ? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Seanchai sorry thstcyou can't do what you like  but its amazing what you have painted before 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Thanks Tori scope ......my wife might not agree with you ??I,m only joking , but it must drive her mad at times but all I get is encouragement . I am getting there slowly , even my teacher ( online ) makes mistakes...but he says that it's not a "mistake" but a " happy accident" . I got a five string banjo just after I got my guitar ( when I was 14 years old) ...but there were no banjo teachers in my area ...plenty bagpipe teachers and plenty guitar teachers ?....but no banjo teacher ?
    The home computer is an amazing invention and we have all benefited from it .
    ???
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @vikingqueen I have stitched socks over the years, which is why I mentioned it. You need to concentrate if only to avoid sticking the needle in your finger.

perhaps embroidery would be a better suggestion , now that is something I’ve never done ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Diazepam helps me relax ha 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @cupcake88 that would probably knock me out ? 

Brightness