ESA and moving in with partner — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and moving in with partner

daxiegirl
daxiegirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi!

I am looking for some advice. I’ve been unwell from a young age and lived with my parents (who are my carers too), I have received ESA since a young age also but I have never been well enough to work, I also had to leave school at 14 due to severe health and wasn’t well enough to continue any education either. My question is, I am on a mixture of contribution based ESA with (I think) an income related top up - would this continue if I was to move in with my partner who works full time from home? It would be my first time moving out of home but I’m concerned about my ESA being stopped/reduced if I move in with him. I also receive PIP but know this won’t be affected. Will my ESA continue? I receive £261.30 every two weeks. Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you in the support group for ESA?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• daxiegirl
    daxiegirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    woodbine said:
    Are you in the support group for ESA?
    Hello, yes I am
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    You can run the information through a benefits checker to see what effect living together might have
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @daxiegirl. It's important for you to figure out whether part of your ESA is definitely contribution-based. Contribution-based ESA won't be impacted by his wages, but the income-related will. With income related ESA your partner is only allowed to work up to 24 hours. Does he currently rent and does he claim any benefits himself?

I'd definitely look at a benefit calculator as Woodbine suggested and perhaps try a comparison to see whether you'd be better off on UC if you moved in together as well as clarifying if any of your ESA is definitely contribution-based. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.