Possible breach of Data Protection on Motability scheme — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Possible breach of Data Protection on Motability scheme

dave215
dave215 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2021 in Transport and travel
Hi, I note that DVLA has now changed online info on disabled car tax from disabled to nil in response to possible breach of privacy and Data Protection Act with any member of the public checking if a car is taxed as disabled. I now show an equal concern to a possible privacy DPA breach on any car leased via the Motability scheme. Anyone who goes to[removed by moderator] site and types in a cars registration will soon be able to ascertain whether a car is on the scheme or not as  unless the registration shows as being on the scheme it will not continue. This means anyone can check if a car is on the Motability scheme. I realise some people may not mind if this information is public but this is not my point. The point is that it is serious breach of a disabled persons rights and could easily be avoided by using your Motability reference number etc. I would request that anyone with concerns over this contacts Motability as if enough complaints are raised they could insist that [removed by moderator] close this breach of privacy. This is not about how mamy people  care  if someone knows their car is on the scheme,  but protecting the rights of those disabled people who do. 
Tagged:

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I typed in my car registration details and the car was half tax rate now zero both searches just showed the car was taxed not any details about the rate it's not on the mobility scheme, although it was a former mobility car 06 to 09.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I have removed the name of the website this member is referring to as others were concerned it could be a guide for some people to misuse this feature. The member who posted this was trying to help and raise awareness but we feel it right to remove some details to protect others.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  again . The site used to be able to give this information but the DVLA no longer allows this to happen. I have just checked my own car taxed disabled and all that came up tax not due yet so do not worry people will but things together seeing you driving a new £20,000 car and wonder how you we afford it, it doesn’t take much to work out they must have a mobility car..
  • bellaboobear
    bellaboobear Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    so end verdict. If someone was to check the reg.. would the info be public that I’m driving a motability car? You know how jealous and spiteful people can be and I don’t really want people to know I’m driving a motability car because I feel embarrassed to go out as it is never mind having people looking down their noses at me because I got help with getting a car because of my condition x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bellaboobear

This thread is from multiple years ago, we can't be sure this is still the case. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    No, you can't tell if a car is Motability from a reg check (can confirm this as I needed to check one myself in December due to tax issues!)

But as Wilko says, people will guess it's Motability from the age of the car anyway.  Not sure how much you know about cars but the age is part of the reg number, currently '70' shows it's from between Sept 2020 to March 2021.  Then we will get '21' from March 2021 until Sept 2021. Then '71' from September 2021 and so on...
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I am glad someone else said that if you turn up with a brand new car people normaly know 
  • bellaboobear
    bellaboobear Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks everyone. Just making sure and my car will be ready first week of April so I’ll have the 21 plate ??‍♀️
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I am glad someone else said that if you turn up with a brand new car people normaly know 
    Around 1.8 million new cars hit the road every year, not sure how anyone would know any of them were notability or not ?
    Thats a massive generalisation is it not @lisathomas50
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine I didnt say it overly anxious did I just agreed 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine before you pick at me please read ehobsaid whst and not just pick at me please  and thank you 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    <moderator removed - content harassing another user.  Please remember to be kind - Cher> 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Brand new cars are rarely bought by individuals nowadays.

Most are bought by Motability, businesses or by people that work for that car manufacturer (Ford Privilege for example).  Only a tiny percentage of that 1.8 million are private buyers that have often received an inheritance or been saving up for a while.

Your neighbours will be able to guess which of those categories you belong in.  Especially if you live in a 'cheaper' area and are clearly seen not travelling to work. Motability cars will also often be larger, higher up, or have some notable 'adaption', unlike business fleet cars or cars that individuals have purchased outright or leased which are generally more basic, cheaper, smaller.

It really doesn't take much to work out who's driving a Motability car...but maybe I'm just more in tune to it as a car guy and I have worked at a couple of dealerships in the past.

Interestingly, I'm getting my first brand new car outside of Motability as I don't qualify for higher Mobility, but got enough backpay from daily living and SDP in order to be able to finance a new car for a few years...  In my scenario, I think the resentment will be less if I tell people that it's on Motability!

Brightness