Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Right to buy and Council Tax exemption

dottydottydottydotty Member Posts: 294 Pioneering
Hello  My  Son  and  myself  are    currently   in  the  process  of  purchasing   our  council  house  through the Right  to  Buy  scheme  . .My Son  will be  responsible  for  the  mortgage  ( . the  deeds  will be  in   both my  name  and my  Sons  ). I  am  a  pensioner  and  in  receipt of  PIP  for  both  care  and  mobility .   . i  currently  get  council tax  exemption   PENSIONER  / VULNERABLE   Scheme .     will   this  exemption   cease  when  the  house  purchase is  completed  .   


  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,611

    Scope community team

    edited January 25
    Hi @dottydotty

    How are you? 

    Great to hear you and your son are purchasing your house, hope all that goes well.

    So you are asking if you will still be able to claim your CTE once you complete the purchase of the home?

    I'm not certain of the answer to this, so I have tagged your post as unanswered in the event that someone comes along who knows the answer. Here are a couple of resources that may be useful for you though:
    • A benefits calculator, to work out what you can and can't get in your situation.
    • This and this resource from Citizens Advice, both of which contain information about claiming CTE / CTR as a person of pension age.
    Also, just wondering if you have asked the council in question? As rules may vary.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,994 Disability Gamechanger

    In my own experience I got council tax reduction when I owned my own property 

    However every council sets its own criteria for council tax reduction so you need to contact them 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • dottydottydottydotty Member Posts: 294 Pioneering
    janer1967  Thankyou .  I  was  told  told  that it  should not  make  any  difference  to  my  council  tax if  i  rent  or  own . . Will  try  to  contact  my  council  .  Thanks  again  Stay  Safe  .  
Sign in or join us to comment.