Right to buy and Council Tax exemption — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Right to buy and Council Tax exemption

dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
Hello  My  Son  and  myself  are    currently   in  the  process  of  purchasing   our  council  house  through the Right  to  Buy  scheme  . .My Son  will be  responsible  for  the  mortgage  ( . the  deeds  will be  in   both my  name  and my  Sons  ). I  am  a  pensioner  and  in  receipt of  PIP  for  both  care  and  mobility .   . i  currently  get  council tax  exemption   PENSIONER  / VULNERABLE   Scheme .     will   this  exemption   cease  when  the  house  purchase is  completed  .   


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @dottydotty

    How are you? 

    Great to hear you and your son are purchasing your house, hope all that goes well.

    So you are asking if you will still be able to claim your CTE once you complete the purchase of the home?

    I'm not certain of the answer to this, so I have tagged your post as unanswered in the event that someone comes along who knows the answer. Here are a couple of resources that may be useful for you though:
    • A benefits calculator, to work out what you can and can't get in your situation.
    • This and this resource from Citizens Advice, both of which contain information about claiming CTE / CTR as a person of pension age.
    Also, just wondering if you have asked the council in question? As rules may vary.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger

    In my own experience I got council tax reduction when I owned my own property 

    However every council sets its own criteria for council tax reduction so you need to contact them 
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
    janer1967  Thankyou .  I  was  told  told  that it  should not  make  any  difference  to  my  council  tax if  i  rent  or  own . . Will  try  to  contact  my  council  .  Thanks  again  Stay  Safe  .  


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.