Wiil esa come to an end and everyone will come under universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wiil esa come to an end and everyone will come under universal credit

Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I am asking this question for someone else as different things seem to progress faster in different places 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Some started to be moved over to UC Nov 2020, with everyone expected to be moved over by Sept 2024. This latter date keeps getting delayed, & I've seen Dec 2024 also mentioned. Please see: https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-Pilot

• Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds thank you most of wales is now on universal credit but there are a few places that still aren't 

To be honest in my opinion I much prefer  universal credit  again it takes more into consideration I think I am better off since I was changed over in my experience of universal credit 
  • chiarieds
    You're welcome @lisathomas - some people are better off on UC, others not. It will all depend on an individual's circumstances.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds I end up with a good amount after rent is taken out  I was quite shocked to be fair  but thank you for the advice  and help 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with @chiarieds that UC will be good for some but really bad for others, that's why it's so divisive. 

I imagine this past year of the pandemic hasn't helped with speeding up the transition, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that time period of late 2024 ends up being pushed back quite a bit.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Ross_Scope and @chiarieds why does this happen that some are better off than others  without giving it all away I get 345.00 because of work capability  and the standard rate for a single person  and I get allowance for rent but the figure I gave you and standard allowance is more than I was getting in one of my part time jobs  i consider myself very lucky  with my universal credit 

Then with my pip I actually get what I used to get working 12 hrs a day six days a week 

I want to work though and I am going to do thst  I do actually get more than I did on esa  I was surprised when I read some people are worse off 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    my final comment on benefits this one; there will be transitional relief for those moved from ESA to UC.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Thank you for all the reply it has been extremely helpful 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited January 2021
    Hi @lisathomas50, just to add to all of the other comments posted, New Style ESA will continue alongside UC so it won't be that everyone will fall under UC as there will be contribution-based benefits such as NS-ESA and NS-JSA that continue alongside it. Income-related benefits are being replaced by UC and as @chiarieds helpfully linked to, the current timescale is set to be 2024. Like others I wouldn't be surprised if this keeps getting pushed back though!

Also to add; there are definitely those who are better off under UC and those that are unfortunately worse off. Thankfully transitional protection will help lots of these cases but sadly not all. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Adrian_Scope because the information is a bit confusing  I phonened the dwp what  they said is that any claim that is comeing up for review  or someone goes off a benefit will go over to universal credit 

Any new claims most will go onto universal credit they did say that originally by 2024 the only benefits their would be are universal credit and pip 

Due to the pandemic it has slowed the process down they said different areas are going at different paces in different areas I asked about esa and dwp said it will also be phased out at  some point 

The person who asked me let me know what happend as she was on esa and has now been moved over to universal  credit 

Thank you for all your comments 
  • chiarieds
    @lisathomas50 - I believe Adrian will know more than someone in a call centre working for the DWP.

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

• Child Tax Credit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Working Tax Credit
    As Adrian has advised this does not replace contribution based benefits, rather income-based.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chirads so the information for esa is correct frim all comments and dwp
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited January 2021
    @Adrian_Scope because the information is a bit confusing  I phonened the dwp what  they said is that any claim that is comeing up for review  or someone goes off a benefit will go over to universal credit 

Any new claims most will go onto universal credit they did say that originally by 2024 the only benefits their would be are universal credit and pip 

Due to the pandemic it has slowed the process down they said different areas are going at different paces in different areas I asked about esa and dwp said it will also be phased out at  some point 

The person who asked me let me know what happend as she was on esa and has now been moved over to universal  credit 

Thank you for all your comments 
    I appreciate you being proactive and calling DWP @lisathomas50 but the information I provided is correct. Sadly when you call the DWP, the person you speak to is often someone in a call centre reading off of a script who may not fully appreciate the nuances of the benefit system.

Managed migration hasn't actually started yet, so areas aren't really going at 'different paces'. What is happening is as more people face jobs losses and changes of circumstances, different areas are seeing more people claim UC ('natural migration'), so some areas have a higher percentage of UC claimants than others. Managed migration began as a pilot trial in Harrogate but has not begun elsewhere.

New Style ESA is not being replaced by UC and will continue, as will New Style JSA. So to say ESA will be phased out is incorrect and misleading. Income-related ESA is being phased out.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Adrian_Scope thank you i wasn't implying you were wrong  and I am sorry if you thought that 

Because the information was confusing I did phone and that was more confusing and after all that the person asking  has been moved to universal credit  my partner was moved from esa to universal credit about 4months ago I didn't take any notice at the time thats why I wanted to ask on here 

Again I am sorry if you think I was implying you were wrong I was just saying what the dwp person was saying I have since then collected information that is correct 

What I would say though is if these people working for the dwp  don't give correct information  that is very worrying  as I do  tell my own clients to  contact dwp with any queries I do also tell them to contact  citizens advice  disability rights  and welfare rights 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    For benefits advice DWP are not the best people to ask. They are meant to administer benefits not advise on them and even a good DWP operative will only be trained in the benefit they deal with. They are not generally knowledge about the wider benefits system nor how different benefits interact. Much better to seek advice from an advice agency (although the quality of advice can vary).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @calcotti thank you I feel awful now Adrian thinks I thought he was wrong  I do advocacy work independently  some things I am trained in some I am not as I do it voluntary I am seeking at the moment benefit training so I can help my advocacy clients sometimes though it gets confusing on here 

I posted what I was told by the dwp  so that it could be corrected  if it was wrong  by the time then my client had already been informed that they were going onto universal credit 

So I caused my self unnecessary  stress and in the process upset someone else  which was not my intention 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I'm sure Adrian was not upset. Information around benefits can be confusing. The change in the law regarding claimants with SDP has received press coverage but this is often superficial and even when it is not people reading it may, understandably, misunderstand the implications.

The message at the moment is that nobody is having their benefits changed by the DWP. What has changed are the options available to a claimant with a relevant change of circumstances. Note also that not all changes of circumstances would result in a legacy benefit claimant needing to claim UC. Advice given by DWP and local authority housing departments is sometimes incorrect  so I would encourage anyone unsure about how a change affects them to seek advice if in doubt.

Entitled have a list of examples https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/changes_that_trigger_Universal_Credit
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @calcotti than you that has been realy helpful i will be glad when my training can be completed 

I dont need to do it for my advocacy services realy as I do pass them onto people that can help I am haveing job support from scope  because  I would like to do paid work  in the type of work that scope do in my advocacy  work I cover a wide range of things  including helping people with pip claims etc I did work for the dwp  when I was younger  and slot has changed 

So I am trying to learn somethings I do know which caused a stir when I came on here as I have a marker on my claims but that's resolved now 

Thank you for takeing the time to talk to me I dont know why but I feel that I know you 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @calcotti I have just had a quick look at your link  that explains to me what a trigger is now  this is a good link  this will also help me with my training thank you very much 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.