UC Advice Please, — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Advice Please,

Ivy_Fox
Ivy_Fox Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, I hope it's ok to put this here, but don't know where else to turn for proper advice!
I am currently on the old system still, WTC/Self employed, but I get higher rate PIP, lower rate mobility, I have been self employed for 7 years, 

On WTC I can take 6 months sick leave with out it effecting my wtc,

I am debating moving to UC as been told I would be applicable to LCWRA with my current situation, (I think that's right) also I have been told I would get more help with HB?  I pay pretty much all now, as well as all council tax, despite earning pretty much zero due to covid and lockdown. 

How would it work with sick notes, do I need them if I have PIP?  At the moment I just take the 6 months if required and that's it, no questions asked, I last took sick leave June 2019-Dec 2019, restarted work then lockdown kicked in. 

Its my mental health that's my disability, recently been diagnosed with PBD/EUPD, high anxiety, depression as well as C-PTSD,  I am finally on a road to getting help, therapy and more to help me through all this, I know I am going to have a lot of lows before I start moving back out of this, (3 serious suicide attempts since May 2019, plus other serious issues I don't wish to discuss, whilst I desperately want to work, my head right now is in a bad place) I have a social worker, a mental health nurse and a physiatrist involved, which is why I would ideally like to take some time out, get my head straight, then as soon as poss get back into my work. (I loathe not working) 

I currently get 
WTC
CTC
PIP and my husband gets carers for me. 

Thank you 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

First of all if you claim UC all your tax credits will stop immediately as they now all come under UC 

To claim UC and get LCWRA you will need to get fit notes and declare your medical condition when you apply 

You will then go through a work capability process 

You will be required to look for work until process is complete 

After providing fit notes for over 28 days your work coach should refer you for WCA and you will get some forms to complete and then an assessment to decide on your capability for work 

Getting pip doesn't have any bearing on LCWRA they are different benefits with different criteria 

With uc you may be entitled to child element and housing element based on your circumstances 

You should get some expert advice before doing anything I suggest welfare rights 

It is a lot to take in please ask if you have any further questions 
  • Ivy_Fox
    @janer1967 Thank you for taking the time to reply, my sister recently went onto UC and got LCWRA, she said she didn't have to do the assements or anything as she got PIP and was instantly awarded it?   I am happy to try and keep my self employed work going, but I know it won't meet the min income they want (I average £43 a week or was) to be pushed into looking for more work and more hours is just going to knock me back even further (part of my issues are mixing with people, communication, to the point of I can't leave the house without my husband for support) 
    To be forced to look for work whilst waiting for help will also put all my therapy and weekly mental health appointments etc I have to have on hold, (my children on are a CPP Plan, and won't be lowered until I enter my therapy, but I won't be able to commit to therapy if I need to be available to work etc,)

Damn this is a mess, I think Ill leave it until I am forced over 
  • Ivy_Fox
    Wanted to add, what if my husband put in the claim and he looked for work (he got made redundant due to covid)  and I didn't look for work but just put in the fit notes?

Oh I am so confused 
  • janer1967
    You would need to claim as a couple anyway 

I'm sorry but everyone has to go through the wca process even of on PIP 

Some people have a paper based assessment but that is few and far between 

Ad I said you need expert advice as each person's circumstance is different 
  • janer1967
    It may all seem very daunting at present but you will get through it all 

We are here to support and hopefully other members will advise as well 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hello @Ivy_Fox

Welcome to the community, I'm glad you've joined us. 

I just wanted to let you know that we've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk . It would be fantastic if you could give it a read and get back to us :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    You may also benefit from reading some of the info in our benefits section 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.