NEWS REGARDING DISABLED PEOPLE TO CHANGE TO UC - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NEWS REGARDING DISABLED PEOPLE TO CHANGE TO UC

2»

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MarkN88 - please be mindful of our communities guidelines & be respectful of another member's opinion even if you think you are right, thank you.
    As @woodbine has been at pains to say, the managed migration, suggested as being Sept - Dec 2024 may keep getting pushed back. Far from 'false information,' woodbine tried to advise; it also seems to me that the status quo would be maintained if a person got help in one aspect of their UC claim having migrated, it would then be deducted by a similar amount. Adrian also gave an explanation in a post today: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/381388#Comment_381388
    If you would like to discuss this further, I suggest you tag Adrian.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I fully respect the community and the guidelines, I have linked to everything I was saying, It seems you do not understand what I was trying to get across. 

I'm not saying there is no transitional protection. 

The original poster was asking about SDP and the equivalent amounts that come into place and this is what I was responding to. 

Woodbine was saying that they would not lose a penny, but I think that was in response to the overall UC transitional protection, this was not what was asked. 

I was responding directly in relation to the SDP. 

The guidance specifically says that if you have an increase in another element of your UC award, for example the rent or the personal allowance because of your age, this would decrease the amount of the SDP equivalent you would be entitled to. 

This is mentioned and explained in the links I have provided. 

This is why many charities have been saying that around 500 000 disabled people may in the long run be worse off because at first they will get their transitional protection in full and they will get their SDP equivalent, but what the charities are trying to say is, say for example two years after changing across to UC there is a major change like a rent increase for example, if for example this was £20 a month, then that would decrease the SDP equivalent that the person is entitled to. 

Its all linked and all explained on how it is going to work. 

Yes I totally agree that their will be that transitional protection across the board and that the original date is by 2024 and this will more than likely keep been pushed back. 

All I was trying to get across is, woodbine was answering in more general views, which were perfectly correct and I was responding to the specifics of the SDP. 

I hope that explains what I was trying to say, I have no intention to disrespect anyone. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    woodbine said:
    @charlie79 today marks the start of the DWP transferring people on legacy benefits on to UC, however that process is expected to take until 2024 and maybe 2025 ...
    That is slightly misleading. It is not the start of transferring people onto UC. ‘Managed’ migration of legacy claimants to UC has not yet begun (other than the Harrogate trial) and any progress is suspended.

Many people have already ‘naturally’ migrated from legacy benefits to UC. To date the law has prevented legacy claimants entitled to SDP from naturally migrating to UC. The change that has now occurred is that the exclusion is removed so claimants with SDP are I now in the same position as everyone else (but will benefit from the SDP transition element if they meet the conditions for it).

if someone has a relevant change of circumstances that would require a new means tested benefit claim then that claim will now have to be for UC and the act of claiming UC will close any other means tested benefits. 

Non means tested benefits are not affected at all.

The only means tested benefit outside all of this is Council Tax Reduction which continues to be administered by local authorities.

Last  target for completion of managed migration was 2024 but OBR had commented that 2026 seemed more realistic. Whether COVID has delayed things or quickened them (because many have naturally migrated) is unclear. Bear in mind that original date for completion was (I think) 2016 so keeping to the timetable is not a feature (just as with transfer service from IB to ESA, DLA to PIP etc.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @charlie79. How are you feeling today? The media reports on this can be quite misleading and cause needless worry.

Just to confirm and hopefully reassure you, this does not mean you will be forced over to UC right now. You do not need to change at the moment.

In short, at the beginning of 2019 the Government introduced a 'gateway' preventing those who were receiving SDP from claiming UC. This gateway protection ended this week, meaning those who receive SDP can now claim UC. 

If you don't have any change of circumstances coming up, this change won't really make any difference to when you are moved over to UC.

When they do start moving people in your area over to UC through managed migration, you'll be given lots of notice and when it happens we can help talk you through the process. But for now, as difficult as it is you need to try not to worry.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlie79

Just to let you know, I've bobbed you an email over.  If you could give it a little read and get back to me, that would be fab.  Best wishes and I hope you are having a better day  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness